Thank you New Zealand

Discussion of current events
cassowary

Thank you New Zealand

Post by cassowary » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:14 am

Singaporeans are made an exception for NZ's restrictive law on property purchases by foreigners.
New Zealanders do have a special place in their hearts for Singaporeans.

This week, the Pacific island-nation announced that they would make an exception to their wide-reaching ban on foreigners owning residential property for citizens of a few countries, including Singapore.
I guess the Kiwis love us.

By the way Neverfail, Australins are also an exception. So they love you too.

neverfail

Re: Thank you New Zealand

Post by neverfail » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:30 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:14 am
Singaporeans are made an exception for NZ's restrictive law on property purchases by foreigners.
New Zealanders do have a special place in their hearts for Singaporeans.

This week, the Pacific island-nation announced that they would make an exception to their wide-reaching ban on foreigners owning residential property for citizens of a few countries, including Singapore.
I guess the Kiwis love us.

By the way Neverfail, Australins are also an exception. So they love you too.
In Kiwiland they never seem to be able to make up their mind. Economic reality will bite and they will allow foreigners to buy real estate there both to entice monied new immigrant settlers and also to part balance the country's balance of payments deficit. Real estate prices will then rise prompting local home buyers to complain to their members of parliament that the foreign buyers are pricing us out of the market. Their government, sensing public disquiet, will then duly bring back the ban for some years until the coast is clear and they safely can lift it once again. And so the cycle goes on and on.

It has been going on now for the better part of half a century now. :lol:

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:22 am

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/ne ... 4zwwi.html

"Existing homes remain off limits to non-residents, but people from Australia and Singapore will be exempt from the ban, due to free-trade rules."

Nothing to do with love, Cassowary.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:28 am

I visit Kiwiland fairly often. On one trip, a Kiwi told me that I am almost Kiwi.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:42 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:28 am
I visit Kiwiland fairly often. On one trip, a Kiwi told me that I am almost Kiwi.
He may be right too.

:lol: I have often contemplated that a Kiwi is very much like an Aussie Calvinist. :)

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:06 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:42 pm
cassowary wrote:
He may be right too.

:lol: I have often contemplated that a Kiwi is very much like an Aussie Calvinist. :)
As a matter of fact, my Kiwi friend who made that remark is a lay priest of the Anglican Church which is strongly influenced by John Calvin. Anyway, I like Kiwis. They are nice people.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:25 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:06 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:42 pm
cassowary wrote:
He may be right too.

As a matter of fact, my Kiwi friend who made that remark is a lay priest of the Anglican Church which is strongly influenced by John Calvin.
That must be Anglican LOW Church. High Church Anglicans are Catholics in all but name.

Recently when we were in Canada, our hostess introduced us to her (Catholic) parish priest: a former High Anglican priest who subsequently decided that his real vocation in life lay in being a (Roman) Catholic priest. The Pope had to grant him a special dispensation from the vow of lifelong celibacy a Catholic priest normally has to enter into so that he could remain married to the wife he had wedded whilst still an Anglican priest.

That man is not by any means the first to have followed that path into our Catholic ministry. The first Catholic Cardinal appointed by the Vatican to England since the Reformation (after the passage of the Catholic Emancipation bill passed through the British parliament in 1829, making such an appointment possible) John Henry Newman was likewise a High Anglican convert to the Catholic Church.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Newman

I hope that the High Church keeps on sending us their surplus, dissident priests like that. It has proven to be a rich source of (clerical) leadership talent for my church (in light of the worldwide chronic shortfall of religious vocations for the priesthood among Catholic men).

By the way Cass: if your friend is, as I believe, Low Church then he is a lay minister. To my understanding, ordained priesthood is only for the Anglo-Catholics.

:idea: (Well, that's quite protestant, isn't it?)
cassowary wrote:
Anyway, I like Kiwis. They are nice people.
I suppose they are - as long as you are not Australian. Then they chuck all of their verbal shit at you. :twisted:

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:46 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:25 am
cassowary wrote:
I suppose they are - as long as you are not Australian. Then they chuck all of their verbal shit at you. :twisted:
Ours is a lovely species... We cannot live without enemies... And if we don't have them, we invent some... And then we bash them as hard as we can, under the excuse that they are a threat to us...

My theory is that this happens because our species is still a very young and imperfect one. Four hundred thousand years is next to nothing and we haven't yet started to polish our original imperfections. I guess that 600,000 years from now we will be a more pleasant species, if we haven't destroyed ourselves in the meantime...

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:38 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:46 am
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Ours is a lovely species... We cannot live without enemies... And if we don't have them, we invent some... And then we bash them as hard as we can, under the excuse that they are a threat to us...

My theory is that this happens because our species is still a very young and imperfect one. Four hundred thousand years is next to nothing and we haven't yet started to polish our original imperfections. I guess that 600,000 years from now we will be a more pleasant species, if we haven't destroyed ourselves in the meantime...
Exactly. Hopefully, "we will be a more pleasant species." And how might we achieve that?

Most importantly:
1. Eliminate hunger everywhere.
2. Eliminate religious influences on governance.

and ??

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:38 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:46 am
neverfail wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Exactly. Hopefully, "we will be a more pleasant species." And how might we achieve that?

Most importantly:
1. Eliminate hunger everywhere.
2. Eliminate religious influences on governance.

and ??
Maybe:
3. Eliminate religious influences on people...

As long as we stick to sado-masochist deities who give us all the excuse we need to mistreat our fellow human beings, we will not get very far...