Re: Neverfail's North America notes.

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:06 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:39 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:31 pm
neverfail wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:08 pm
Steve. Why would people prefer unemployment? I could think of a number of reasons: such as the waitress relative in Canada of a friend of mine who abruptly quit her job in anger when her grub of an employer wanted her to prostitute herself. Or are you unaware that vulnerable women in the workplace can be and are abused and/or exploited by employers; even by co-workers to the point where unemployment becomes preferable to sacrifice of dignity.
If you want to talk about sexual harassment in the workplace then I suppose we can, but don't pretend that we were before you suddenly brought it up.
neverfail wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:08 pm
Have you not heard of the law of diminishing returns? Apparently not! You seem to be another of these materialist types who equates employment narrowly with material reward.

Some terms and conditions of even gainful employment are insufferable.
Are you jet lagged or something? I hardly need a lecture about this -- or did you already forget the part where I said I've actually held this job under the conditions we're actually discussing?
All right Steve, please do not take offense at my comments. You gave me the impression that you held the job when you were young and it was your entry point into the workforce. Okay for you but for many it is their permanent livelihood.

The reference to sexual harassment is but one example of several I can think of why unemployment would be preferable to paid employment under intolerable conditions.

P.S. I an back home again after 5 weeks in North America. Arrived Sydney just this morning after having had a marvellous time over there.
I'm very glad you all enjoyed your visit to this fine continent. :)
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Re: Neverfail's North America notes.

Post by neverfail » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:22 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:06 pm

P.S. I an back home again after 5 weeks in North America. Arrived Sydney just this morning after having had a marvellous time over there.
I'm very glad you all enjoyed your visit to this fine continent. :)
[/quote]

My warm thanks Steve. Everyone in my party did also.

We did not see all of North America - impossible in just 5 weeks. Only some pre-selected high points. Yet what we saw when put together moves me to agree that North America is a fine continent.

Then I must make mention the people, generally courteous and willing to help when needed, who contributed to the enjoyable time we had there.

They leaned somewhat towards having something of a reserve in Canada and decidedly more towards exuberance in the United States. All in all though the two stil share those two laudable characteristics along with others besides.