Trump cannot possibly 'win' this trade war!

Discussion of current events
cassowary

Re: Trump cannot possibly 'win' this trade war!

Post by cassowary » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:08 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:36 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:13 pm
cassowary wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:10 pm
If Assad is so popular, why is there an uprising?
If he is so unpopular, why are there so many Syrians fighting for him?
Silly question Sertorio. If you are an Alawite it is in your best interests to support him as Assad is the only force standing between you and obliteration.

If you are a Syrian Christian then Assad is likewise your protector.

Nothing to do with the bastard's popularity and everything to do with your own survival prospects and that of the group you belong to.
That's right, Neverfail. This is a sectarian war, something like Protestants vs Catholics centuries ago in Europe. Thus Assad cannot possibly have the support of the majority of Syrians, who are Sunnis. Assad is of course, a Shiite. That's what I was trying to tell Sertorio. Russia thus is imposing a puppet regime on the Syrian people and is an occupying power in Syria.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:09 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:08 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Silly question Sertorio. If you are an Alawite it is in your best interests to support him as Assad is the only force standing between you and obliteration.

Nothing to do with the bastard's popularity and everything to do with your own survival prospects and that of the group you belong to.
That's right, Neverfail. This is a sectarian war, something like Protestants vs Catholics centuries ago in Europe. Thus Assad cannot possibly have the support of the majority of Syrians, who are Sunnis. Assad is of course, a Shiite. That's what I was trying to tell Sertorio. Russia thus is imposing a puppet regime on the Syrian people and is an occupying power in Syria.
The Alawites, while an offshoot of Shia Islam, apparently have beliefs and practices that are at variance to some of those of conventional Shia Muslims. I am not sure whether or not this is enough to cause the Shia to reject them as heretics but there is certainly a schism between the two. In any case the Sunni, who regard even Shia as heretics would probably consider the Alawites even more so.

No, I do not think that Assad will, end up operating a Russian puppet regime but he will certainly be beholden to Putin for his regime's survival. As such he is likely to follow Moscow's line in matters of foreign policy not directly impinging on Syria's best interests (i.e. more likely a Russian client than an outright puppet.).

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:16 am

neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:

The number of soldiers fighting on the side of Assad far exceeds what Alawites and Christians could field. It's obvious that many Sunnis are on al-Assad's side. Very probably all of them want a country where religion is a matter of personal choice, not a matter of state. And Bashar al-Assad is offering them that. If al-Assad is smart enough to allow for a modicum of democracy in Syria, he will be reelected in any future election. In any case he would be better than any of the alternatives.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:23 am

The line between beholden to Russia and being a puppet of Russia is very thin. Either way, I don't think the majority of Syrians want Russians to be there. That's the point I was trying to make to Sertorio.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:44 am

cassowary wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:23 am
The line between beholden to Russia and being a puppet of Russia is very thin. Either way, I don't think the majority of Syrians want Russians to be there. That's the point I was trying to make to Sertorio.
Have you asked them? Has anyone? You keep making up other people's intentions, just to support your irrational "feelings"...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:27 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:44 am
cassowary wrote:
Have you asked them? Has anyone? You keep making up other people's intentions, just to support your irrational "feelings"...
You do that too except I give concrete reasons for my beliefs. The Sunnis are in the majority and Assas is an Alawite, a branch of Shiites. He also killed so many people.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:37 am

cassowary wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:27 am
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:
You do that too except I give concrete reasons for my beliefs. The Sunnis are in the majority and Assas is an Alawite, a branch of Shiites. He also killed so many people.
Sunnis are a majority, in the country and in the armed forces supporting al-Assad... Please go and recycle your stale propaganda...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:37 am
cassowary wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:27 am
Sertorio wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Sunnis are a majority, in the country and in the armed forces supporting al-Assad... Please go and recycle your stale propaganda...
That's because of conscription. They have no choice. Those Sunnis in the urban areas like Damascus where Assad is in control are in Assad's army. But those in the rural areas far from the capital are fighting against Assad. They do not have any love for Assad. One the one hand, the Alawite controlled army see them as potential fifth columnists. On the other the rural Sunnis see them as traitors. The top ranks are mostly Alawites though the Defense minister is Sunni. Its just for show. He does not have real power.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:54 am

cassowary wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 am
Those Sunnis in the urban areas like Damascus where Assad is in control are in Assad's army. But those in the rural areas far from the capital are fighting against Assad. They do not have any love for Assad. One the one hand, the Alawite controlled army see them as potential fifth columnists. On the other the rural Sunnis see them as traitors. The top ranks are mostly Alawites though the Defense minister is Sunni. Its just for show. He does not have real power.
Where do you get all that?... In the CNN?...

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:54 am
cassowary wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 am
Those Sunnis in the urban areas like Damascus where Assad is in control are in Assad's army. But those in the rural areas far from the capital are fighting against Assad. They do not have any love for Assad. One the one hand, the Alawite controlled army see them as potential fifth columnists. On the other the rural Sunnis see them as traitors. The top ranks are mostly Alawites though the Defense minister is Sunni. Its just for show. He does not have real power.
Where do you get all that?... In the CNN?...
Sertorio it is well known and for a very long time that Sunnis are in the majority in Syria and Assad is not a Sunni. This is why the gulf states were are so interested in deposing him.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros