Free the District of Columbia!

Discussion of current events
Milo

Free the District of Columbia!

Post by Milo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:56 am

This seem a good thing to do to me. What do our American members think?
The House of Representatives made history Friday, passing for the first time legislation that would grant statehood to the District of Columbia.

The bill passed along party lines, 232-180.

Though the bill is not expected to pass in the Senate and become law, the House vote marks an important milestone for those who say the district's more than 700,000 citizens have been disenfranchised for too long.

"The United States is the only Democratic country that denies both voting rights in its national legislature and local autonomy to the residents of its nation's capital," said Eleanor Holmes Norton, D.C.'s non-voting delegate to the House, during debate on the House floor.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/house-set-vot ... ories.html

neverfail

Re: Free the District of Columbia!

Post by neverfail » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:48 pm

Milo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:56 am
The House of Representatives made history Friday, passing for the first time legislation that would grant statehood to the District of Columbia.

Though the bill is not expected to pass in the Senate and become law, the House vote marks an important milestone for those who say the district's more than 700,000 citizens have been disenfranchised for too long.

"The United States is the only Democratic country that denies both voting rights in its national legislature and local autonomy to the residents of its nation's capital," said Eleanor Holmes Norton, D.C.'s non-voting delegate to the House, during debate on the House floor.
Milo, is it true just as E H Norton clains that residents of the District of Columbia do not have the right to vote at US presidental and congressional elections?

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:57 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:48 pm
Milo wrote:

Milo, is it true just as E H Norton clains that residents of the District of Columbia do not have the right to vote at US presidental and congressional elections?
They get 3 Electors. They also get an observer status member in each Houses of Congress. I did not know that but I read up on it after I heard about this.

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:16 am

Milo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:57 pm
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:

They get 3 Electors. They also get an observer status member in each Houses of Congress. I did not know that but I read up on it after I heard about this.
The DC government also rules at the will of Congress.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:34 am

Doc wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:16 am
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:

Exactly. So what say you Doc?

I note that DC licence plates read "taxation without representation"!

armchair_pundit

Post by armchair_pundit » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:52 am

Its always about the politics. DC has always been DC
The signing of the Residence Act on July 16, 1790, approved the creation of a capital district located along the Potomac River near the country's East Coast. The U.S. Constitution provided for a federal district under the exclusive jurisdiction of the U.S. Congress, and the District is therefore not a part of any U.S. state. The states of Maryland and Virginia each donated land to form the federal district, which included the pre-existing settlements of Georgetown and Alexandria. The City of Washington was founded in 1791 to serve as the new national capital. In 1846, Congress returned the land originally ceded by Virginia, including the city of Alexandria; in 1871, it created a single municipal government for the remaining portion of the District.

Washington had an estimated population of 705,749 as of July 2019,[11] making it the 20th most populous city in the United States. Commuters from the surrounding Maryland and Virginia suburbs raise the city's daytime population to more than one million during the workweek.[12] Washington's metropolitan area, the country's sixth largest (including parts of Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia), had a 2017 estimated population of 6.2 million residents.
How about Maryland and/or Virginia take back/annex DC? DC is about the size of the Richmond or Baltimore metro complex.

And since we are changing things up based on political demographics, a chunk of western Virginia joins West Virginia, a portion of Eastern Washington state becomes a new state. California splits into 2 or 3 states. Upstate New York splits off into a separate state. Those are just a few of the currents in American geopolitics, some are quite serious, with serious backing.

No, the Democrats sense they can game the system and gain a Governorship, 2 Senators and 1-2 Representatives from what is currently, their Plantation.

I don't think they would be saying the same thing if DC were solidly Republican. Do you?

I don't think the citizens of DC really want the accompanying State taxes and bureaucracy that will come along with it...

Besides that, what is wrong with DC being what it is? The Capital District of the United States of America?

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:18 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:34 am
Doc wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:16 am
Milo wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Milo wrote:

Exactly. So what say you Doc?

I note that DC licence plates read "taxation without representation"!
If that were the case I don't see what all the fuss is about.Seems to me that the DC license plates should say: :NO taxation without representation"
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:11 pm

armchair_pundit wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:52 am
Its always about the politics. DC has always been DC
The signing of the Residence Act on July 16, 1790, approved the creation of a capital district located along the Potomac River near the country's East Coast. The U.S. Constitution provided for a federal district under the exclusive jurisdiction of the U.S. Congress, and the District is therefore not a part of any U.S. state. The states of Maryland and Virginia each donated land to form the federal district, which included the pre-existing settlements of Georgetown and Alexandria. The City of Washington was founded in 1791 to serve as the new national capital. In 1846, Congress returned the land originally ceded by Virginia, including the city of Alexandria; in 1871, it created a single municipal government for the remaining portion of the District.

Washington had an estimated population of 705,749 as of July 2019,[11] making it the 20th most populous city in the United States. Commuters from the surrounding Maryland and Virginia suburbs raise the city's daytime population to more than one million during the workweek.[12] Washington's metropolitan area, the country's sixth largest (including parts of Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia), had a 2017 estimated population of 6.2 million residents.
How about Maryland and/or Virginia take back/annex DC? DC is about the size of the Richmond or Baltimore metro complex.

And since we are changing things up based on political demographics, a chunk of western Virginia joins West Virginia, a portion of Eastern Washington state becomes a new state. California splits into 2 or 3 states. Upstate New York splits off into a separate state. Those are just a few of the currents in American geopolitics, some are quite serious, with serious backing.

No, the Democrats sense they can game the system and gain a Governorship, 2 Senators and 1-2 Representatives from what is currently, their Plantation.

I don't think they would be saying the same thing if DC were solidly Republican. Do you?

I don't think the citizens of DC really want the accompanying State taxes and bureaucracy that will come along with it...

Besides that, what is wrong with DC being what it is? The Capital District of the United States of America?
The remainder of the VA part of the District was returned to to VA at the end of the civil war.

I think that returning the Maryland part to Maryland would work great as long as the capital is moved else where. Maybe a rotating basis from state to state. Not just the capital but the whole government. That will solve quite a few problems with people that think the people serve the establishment.