How will the world change on the other side of the Corona Epidemic

Discussion of current events
dagbay

How will the world change on the other side of the Corona Epidemic

Post by dagbay » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:26 am

Attempting to forecast the changes that this event will cause to the world as we knew it. I believe that globalization will take a few steps back and boarders will be remade where they were taken down. Urbanization might also be retarded as the impact on large urban centers would be harsh. Demographic changes might also become pronounced. Any ideas?
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

Jim the Moron

Re: How will the world change on the other side of the Corona Epidemic

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:14 am

dagbay wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:26 am
Attempting to forecast the changes that this event will cause to the world as we knew it. I believe that globalization will take a few steps back and boarders will be remade where they were taken down. Urbanization might also be retarded as the impact on large urban centers would be harsh. Demographic changes might also become pronounced. Any ideas?

". . . boarders will be remade . . ."
Any specifics in mind?

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:40 am

Working remotely - technologies such as video conferencing - will become the norm, not the exception.

In other words, everything goes virtual.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:48 am

Europeans will realize that they have a lot more in common than they thought and will finally unite politically. For the rest, I don't know and I don't care...

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:41 pm

For Australia, engagement with the outside world is both desireable and unavoidable. As far as is possible in an altered world for us to do so it will be a regression back to "business as usual".

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:05 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:41 pm
For Australia, engagement with the outside world is both desireable and unavoidable. As far as is possible in an altered world for us to do so it will be a regression back to "business as usual".
Maybe so but I think that countries will have to place restrictions on supply chains and or diversify them for critical items. (US discovered that 95% of its medicines or ingredients are sourced in China). It is also likely that government's will become more trigger happy to snap on travel restrictions. There is a possibility of regime change's due to poor handling of the Epidemic and more.
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:48 am
Europeans will realize that they have a lot more in common than they thought and will finally unite politically. For the rest, I don't know and I don't care...
Not so sure that this crisis will bring about the utopia you describe. At least for now many members are fracturing and closing boarders. Add to that the lack of EU assistance to Italy (so far) and Spain. We shall see what will happen shortly.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:23 am

dagbay wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:05 am
Sertorio wrote:
Not so sure that this crisis will bring about the utopia you describe. At least for now many members are fracturing and closing boarders. Add to that the lack of EU assistance to Italy (so far) and Spain. We shall see what will happen shortly.
Closing borders is not a sign of disunity, it is a tool meant to segment the population at risk and thus improve the containment of the disease. Assistance to any European country is hindered by the fact that every country has a shortage of means to fight the disease. Only China is in a position to help, and there are signs that it is ready to do so. Portugal is about to receive respirators and masks from China.

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:02 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:23 am
dagbay wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:05 am
Sertorio wrote:
Closing borders is not a sign of disunity, it is a tool meant to segment the population at risk and thus improve the containment of the disease. Assistance to any European country is hindered by the fact that every country has a shortage of means to fight the disease. Only China is in a position to help, and there are signs that it is ready to do so. Portugal is about to receive respirators and masks from China.
That may be so Sertorio, I hope it will bring on more unity but I am skeptical. Nice that China is helping especially considering that they sourced the virus in the first place and I do not think that they are just making sure that when all is over they will still have customers. ...

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:59 am

Only China is in a position to help,
?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:36 am

Milo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:59 am
Only China is in a position to help,
?
Obviously. Having passed the worst of the crisis, China has now a surplus of medical personnel and equipment which can be used to help other countries.