This is news to me!

neverfail

This is news to me!

Post by neverfail » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:39 pm

It seems that China did not even want Hong Kong to be returned to its sovereignty.
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/12/artic ... -cold-war/

As the old joke goes, Hong Kong is a problem that can be solved in practice but is impossible in theory. The demonstrations have two root causes: Arbitrary and autocratic governance, and a manipulated housing market that makes life unlivable for ordinary people. Hong Kong is a British city. Hong Kong Island and the Kowloon Peninsula were ceded to Britain in perpetuity during the Opium Wars. For reasons that remain unclear, the Thatcher government in 1984 agreed to return Hong Kong and Kowloon to China when its lease on the New Territories expired in 1997, although it had no legal obligation to do so, and China did not want to take them back. “The Chinese did have concerns about taking over as they were so inexperienced in international governance,” a former UK Foreign Ministry official told me. The public record shows clearly that China did not seek the handover.
So what the f*** did the late iron lady hope to achieve by handing what was after all a profitable outpost for the UK over to a Chinese motherland that did not even want it back?
China’s imperial structure is the source of its strength as well as weakness. Only a tenth of Chinese speak the court dialect Mandarin fluently; they converse rather in one of the 280 languages and dialects still spoken in China. “Chinese” is not a spoken language but a system of written ideograms. The provinces have never shown affection for the tax collector in Beijing. What holds the country together, as it has since the founding of the Qin dynasty (from which the country’s name derives) in the 3rd century BCE, is the ambition of its Mandarin caste and the central government’s investment in the infrastructure which controlled floods and irrigated the Chinese plains since the 3rd millennium BCE.
The Chinese public responds to their ruling Communist Party bureaucracy in exactly the same compliant way their ancestors used to to the injunctions of the Confucian Imperial scholar bureaucracies that over 2,000 years of conditioning has virtually written into their DNA.

He who still thinks in terms of red China has read China wrongly.

Doc

Re: This is news to me!

Post by Doc » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:33 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:39 pm
It seems that China did not even want Hong Kong to be returned to its sovereignty.

As the old joke goes, Hong Kong is a problem that can be solved in practice but is impossible in theory. The demonstrations have two root causes: Arbitrary and autocratic governance, and a manipulated housing market that makes life unlivable for ordinary people. Hong Kong is a British city. Hong Kong Island and the Kowloon Peninsula were ceded to Britain in perpetuity during the Opium Wars. For reasons that remain unclear, the Thatcher government in 1984 agreed to return Hong Kong and Kowloon to China when its lease on the New Territories expired in 1997, although it had no legal obligation to do so, and China did not want to take them back. “The Chinese did have concerns about taking over as they were so inexperienced in international governance,” a former UK Foreign Ministry official told me. The public record shows clearly that China did not seek the handover.
So what the f*** did the late iron lady hope to achieve by handing what was after all a profitable outpost for the UK over to a Chinese motherland that did not even want it back?
China’s imperial structure is the source of its strength as well as weakness. Only a tenth of Chinese speak the court dialect Mandarin fluently; they converse rather in one of the 280 languages and dialects still spoken in China. “Chinese” is not a spoken language but a system of written ideograms. The provinces have never shown affection for the tax collector in Beijing. What holds the country together, as it has since the founding of the Qin dynasty (from which the country’s name derives) in the 3rd century BCE, is the ambition of its Mandarin caste and the central government’s investment in the infrastructure which controlled floods and irrigated the Chinese plains since the 3rd millennium BCE.
The Chinese public responds to their ruling Communist Party bureaucracy in exactly the same compliant way their ancestors used to to the injunctions of the Confucian Imperial scholar bureaucracies that over 2,000 years of conditioning has virtually written into their DNA.

He who still thinks in terms of red China has read China wrongly.
I heard that Zionists really didn't want Israel back as well.

As for
“We remind the US that Hong Kong is part of China and Hong Kong affairs are China’s internal affairs and no foreign government or force shall interfere,” read the statement.
Speaking of interfering in the internal affairs of another nation:

But maybe it is just because you Aussies are all racists:

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:10 am

My quotes are from David Goldman as published in The Asia Times.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:24 pm

Could it be because the Chinese aren't 'Americans but don't know it yet'??..........
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:50 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:24 pm
Could it be because the Chinese aren't 'Americans but don't know it yet'??..........
:? :? :?

Huh?

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:44 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:50 am
lzzrdgrrl wrote:

Huh?
Consider:
The neoconservatives watched Russia fall and imagined that the magic of democracy had defeated the wicked sorcerer-kings of Moscow, and looked forward to the End of History as liberal capitalism inexorably spread throughout the world. This illusion was responsible for America’s plunge from the status of sole world superpower in 1989 to a prospective number two power in the second half of the 21st century.
Donald Trump has one quality for which the rest of the world should be grateful: He really does not care how China, Russia, or any other country manages its affairs. By “America First,” he simply means that he cares about what happens in America, and is incurious about what happens outside America unless it affects his country directly. That stands in sharp contrast to view of all the wings of America’s political Establishment – progressive, “realist” and neoconservative – who believe that America should bring about the millenarian End of History by bringing democracy to Iraq and Afghanistan, by expanding NATO into a giant social-engineering project, by pressing China to transform itself into a Western-style democracy, and so forth.
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/11/artic ... nightmare/
China remains what it has been for millennia, and most of America’s problems are not China’s fault but its own, former House speaker Newt Gingrich argues in his new book. Some rhetorical flourishes aside, the Republican elder statesman and Trump adviser rejects the ubiquitous American view that China is about to collapse under its own weight, or that China inevitably must become a Western-style democracy, or that the Chinese people are waiting for a wave of America’s hand to overthrow their evil communist overlords, and so forth.

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/11/artic ... -on-china/

I probably should have said it as; the special sauce of western-style democracy and liberal values is insufficient to overrule a three-thousand year old national culture and identity.....'>......

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:15 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:44 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:50 am
lzzrdgrrl wrote:

Huh?
Consider:
The neoconservatives watched Russia fall and imagined that the magic of democracy had defeated the wicked sorcerer-kings of Moscow, and looked forward to the End of History as liberal capitalism inexorably spread throughout the world. This illusion was responsible for America’s plunge from the status of sole world superpower in 1989 to a prospective number two power in the second half of the 21st century.
Donald Trump has one quality for which the rest of the world should be grateful: He really does not care how China, Russia, or any other country manages its affairs. By “America First,” he simply means that he cares about what happens in America, and is incurious about what happens outside America unless it affects his country directly. That stands in sharp contrast to view of all the wings of America’s political Establishment – progressive, “realist” and neoconservative – who believe that America should bring about the millenarian End of History by bringing democracy to Iraq and Afghanistan, by expanding NATO into a giant social-engineering project, by pressing China to transform itself into a Western-style democracy, and so forth.
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/11/artic ... nightmare/
China remains what it has been for millennia, and most of America’s problems are not China’s fault but its own, former House speaker Newt Gingrich argues in his new book. Some rhetorical flourishes aside, the Republican elder statesman and Trump adviser rejects the ubiquitous American view that China is about to collapse under its own weight, or that China inevitably must become a Western-style democracy, or that the Chinese people are waiting for a wave of America’s hand to overthrow their evil communist overlords, and so forth.

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/11/artic ... -on-china/

I probably should have said it as; the special sauce of western-style democracy and liberal values is insufficient to overrule a three-thousand year old national culture and identity.....'>......
thank you IZZ. That is well put. :D

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:40 pm

Glad to do it. I also wanted to play around with some text formatting.....;)........