Caroline Glick

Forum for pundits of interest to Davosman members. Please make one thread per pundit.
Jim the Moron
Posts: 1580
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Caroline Glick

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:38 pm

"American Jewry's days of reckoning"

https://canadafreepress.com/article/ame ... -reckoning

Authoritative commentary . . .

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 3410
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Caroline Glick

Post by Doc » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:22 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:38 pm
"American Jewry's days of reckoning"

https://canadafreepress.com/article/ame ... -reckoning

Authoritative commentary . . .
If you use Twitter or the other big Social media sites only post this there if you want to be banned.

But I put it in some other places.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Jim the Moron
Posts: 1580
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: Caroline Glick

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:17 am

Doc wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:22 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:38 pm
"American Jewry's days of reckoning"

https://canadafreepress.com/article/ame ... -reckoning

Authoritative commentary . . .
If you use Twitter or the other big Social media sites only post this there if you want to be banned.

But I put it in some other places.
"But I put it in some other places." I don't participate in any big social media, and sure appreciate that you know other places that may find value in the article.

Ms Glick's writings are models of clarity. Some years back they led me to my support for expanded boundaries for the State of Israel. I recall Spengler used to admire her work - probably still does. Hope dagbay weighs in here.

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 3410
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Caroline Glick

Post by Doc » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:35 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:17 am
Doc wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:22 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:38 pm
"American Jewry's days of reckoning"

https://canadafreepress.com/article/ame ... -reckoning

Authoritative commentary . . .
If you use Twitter or the other big Social media sites only post this there if you want to be banned.

But I put it in some other places.
"But I put it in some other places." I don't participate in any big social media, and sure appreciate that you know other places that may find value in the article.

Ms Glick's writings are models of clarity. Some years back they led me to my support for expanded boundaries for the State of Israel. I recall Spengler used to admire her work - probably still does. Hope dagbay weighs in here.
I have found on Twitter that if you post alternate views you will get reported by numerous members of the lef. Which will result in a suspension and maybe a banning. . Same with facebook.

However the world moves on...back to the future

https://www.jpost.com/International/Mer ... tic-603875

Merkel’s gov’t says Iran’s call to ‘wipe Israel off the map’ not antisemitic

Wiesenthal Center and NGO Monitor slam Germany for ignoring Iran’s genocidal antisemitism.
By Benjamin Weinthal
October 6, 2019 21:39


German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government has declared that Iran's call to obliterate the State of Israel is not an expression of antisemitism.

On October 1, Merkel’s Foreign Ministry labeled the call to destroy Israel by commander-in-chief of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Gen. Hossein Salami as “anti-Israel rhetoric.”
When the Post asked the Merkel administration if it agreed with the Foreign Ministry statement, a government spokesman told The Jerusalem Post: “We have nothing to add to the reply of the foreign office.”

The Post had specifically asked if Salami’s statements were antisemitic.

In late September, Salami delivered his call to exterminate the Jewish state before an audience of IRGC leaders that was publicized by the state-funded IRNA agency, as well as other Iranian regime-controlled outlets.

Salami said that “This sinister regime must be wiped off the map and this is no longer… a dream [but] it is an achievable goal.”

He added that his country has “managed to obtain the capacity to destroy the impostor Zionist regime” 40 years after the 1979 Islamic revolution.

Germany’s Foreign Ministry issued the following statement in German and English: “We condemn the recent threats by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps against Israel in the strongest possible terms. Such anti-Israel rhetoric is completely unacceptable. Israel’s right to exist is not negotiable. We urge Iran to commit to maintaining peaceful relations with all states in the region and to take practical steps to de-escalate tensions.”

When asked on Twitter why German Ambassador to Iran Michael Klor-Berchtold did not tweet the statement in Persian and why the German Foreign Ministry did not translate the comment into Persian, both the Foreign Ministry and Klor-Berchtold declined to answer.

Dr. Efraim Zuroff, the chief Nazi-hunter for the Simon Wiesenthal Center, told the Post on Monday that “The condemnation by the German Foreign Ministry of the recent threats to destroy Israel by Hossein Salami, commander of the IRGC, seems to ignore the starkly antisemitic dimensions of his comments. To reduce them to ‘anti-Israel rhetoric’ is to ignore the obvious antisemitic component and their genocidal intent.”

Zuroff, a widely acknowledged expert on antisemitism who oversees the Wiesenthal Center’s Jerusalem office, added that “The verbal condemnation of the German Foreign Ministry should be accompanied by practical steps to expel Iran from UN and to boycott all commerce with the fanatic fundamentalist Islamic regime, instead of [Germany] promoting business with Iran and seeking ways to circumvent sanctions against a terrorist regime in Tehran.”

The United States classifies Iran’s clerical regime as the leading international state-sponsor of terrorism.

Prof. Gerald Steinberg, founder and president of NGO Monitor and professor of Political Studies at Bar-Ilan University, told the Post that “The Germans, and Merkel in particular, should be the first to condemn Iran’s genocidal threats against the Jewish state as antisemitism. Instead, by taking refuge behind the canard that ‘anti-Israel’ language can be distinguished from antisemitism, they undermine the international consensus behind the IHRA [The International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance] working definition.”

Steinberg, an expert on contemporary antisemitism, added “Every aspect of Iran’s campaign to destroy Israel is anchored in hatred of Jews and Jewish national self-determination, including many of the images that echo Nazi propaganda. In the time she remains in office, Merkel should give high priority to undoing the damage she has done by failing to confront Iran.”

In February, the German Foreign Ministry participated in a celebration of Iran’s Islamic revolution at the Iranian Embassy in Berlin. German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said he went into politics “because of Auschwitz.”

Also in February, German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier sent a telegram to the mullah regime in Tehran that praised Iran’s revolution.
Apparently the is no eternal shame left in Germany

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
dagbay
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:27 pm

Re: Caroline Glick

Post by dagbay » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:17 am
Doc wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:22 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:38 pm
"American Jewry's days of reckoning"

https://canadafreepress.com/article/ame ... -reckoning

Authoritative commentary . . .
If you use Twitter or the other big Social media sites only post this there if you want to be banned.

But I put it in some other places.
"But I put it in some other places." I don't participate in any big social media, and sure appreciate that you know other places that may find value in the article.

Ms Glick's writings are models of clarity. Some years back they led me to my support for expanded boundaries for the State of Israel. I recall Spengler used to admire her work - probably still does. Hope dagbay weighs in here.
Indeed Ms Glick writings represent the views of right of center American expats who live in Israel. She has good understanding of the cross-section of the opinions and position's of Jews in the USA. I believe that she is correct in advocating for those Jews to be extremely careful as the USA is undergoing a massive shift from its previous enduring bi-partisan support for Israel (spotted by dominance of State department Arabists).
Jews are politically involved in both parties still but Democrat Jewish party leadership has moved to the left in an attempt to keep their positions in the party but it seems that these congress people are stuck as a thorn in the party backside as it is turning to favor groups which are incompatible and inhospitable to them. It is causing a major rift to develop in the community which will likely drive around half of the Jews to question their priorities and make suitable alteration to how and where they want to live and raise kids. Do they value their association with other Jews.
On the subject of Iranian threats visa vi Israel, it is important to consider that threats such as those have been uttered over the past 80 years or so by various Arabs on a regular basis. Considering this history and the Serius but not truely concerning. First the euphemism Anti-semitic is really Anti-Jewish. And anti-zionizm is really Anti-israel. All Jews were and are to an extent zionists by definition as the all (so far) prey to return to Zion aka Israel.
To my knowledge Jews are uniquely singled out for hate and their national aspirations are delegitimized and have been so since the Roman expulsion. So much hate for such a tiny population (yeah I know Neverfail... some at least maybe self induced)
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

neverfail
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Caroline Glick

Post by neverfail » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:27 am

Dagbay,

I doubly curse the memory of Adolf Hitler.

Not only because the bastard sent over 6 million Jews to their death but because by so doing he made the emergence of a Jewish state inevitable.

I draw your attention to Resolution 181: passed by the United Nations General Assembly in November 1947.

https://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/foreignpolic ... 20document).

It was passed when membership in the UN was much smaller than it is now and comprised predominantly of Western states where there was widespread sympathy for the Jewish people as knowledge of the shoah became widespread. Do you believe that such a resolution would have any chance of passing today?

Of course not! Nor would it have happened if WW2 and the mass extermination of Continental European Jewry had never taken place either.

Were I Israeli Jewish I might be inclined to see those 6 million deceased as martyrs whose involuntary sacrifice brought about the birth of my country. But (correct me if I am wrong) I do not get the impression that Jews (unlike Catholics and Muslims) are inclined to cherish the memory of martyrs: only a righteous resentment that goyim should have the unpardonable temerity to make them such.

So just imagine: if Hitler had not sent that 6 million to their deaths then the Middle East would not have that thorn permanently embedded in its side.

Jim the Moron
Posts: 1580
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: Caroline Glick

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 am

While we recognize that there are folks who will forever resent the creation of the State of Israel, Ms Glick's and dagbay's commentaries deal with present-day realities. One doesn't have to be a Zionist to understand the threats to civilized societies Muslim entities pose, and not just to Israel.

Anti-Semitism is alive and well outside the Islamic world, too. In the US, as Glick discusses, the Republicans now lead support for Israel, unlike the bipartisan support once prevalent there.

neverfail
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Caroline Glick

Post by neverfail » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:15 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 am
While we recognize that there are folks who will forever resent the creation of the State of Israel, Ms Glick's and dagbay's commentaries deal with present-day realities. One doesn't have to be a Zionist to understand the threats to civilized societies Muslim entities pose, and not just to Israel.

Anti-Semitism is alive and well outside the Islamic world, too. In the US, as Glick discusses, the Republicans now lead support for Israel, unlike the bipartisan support once prevalent there.
I recall how President George Bush (the old man, not shrub :) ) publicly stated that he was not scared to take on the Jewish lobby. To be courageous is one thing but to be politically foolhardy is something else again. The Jewish lobby them marshaled its enormous resources of money, manpower and MSM propaganda (I believe that 4 out of the 5 biggest news media outlets in your country are Jewish controlled) behind the candidacy of the Democrat Bill Clinton. Recalling what a scandal-ridden presidency his was I believed at the time and still believe today it would have been better had George Bush the elder won a second term in office - even though he was normally somewhat overcautious in his conduct of policy.

The point about your US Jewish lobby is that they do not care. They are quite impartial as to who they support and ruthless in pursuit of their goals - the chief of which is the preservation of the State of Israel.

You claim that the USA supports Israel because it admires Israel's high level of achievement? I say that public opinion in your country has been cruelly manipulated by the proactive agents of a foreign power. Do I believe that to be fair? No, I don't!

Jim the Moron
Posts: 1580
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: Caroline Glick

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:29 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:15 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 am
While we recognize that there are folks who will forever resent the creation of the State of Israel, Ms Glick's and dagbay's commentaries deal with present-day realities. One doesn't have to be a Zionist to understand the threats to civilized societies Muslim entities pose, and not just to Israel.

Anti-Semitism is alive and well outside the Islamic world, too. In the US, as Glick discusses, the Republicans now lead support for Israel, unlike the bipartisan support once prevalent there.
I recall how President George Bush (the old man, not shrub :) ) publicly stated that he was not scared to take on the Jewish lobby. To be courageous is one thing but to be politically foolhardy is something else again. The Jewish lobby them marshaled its enormous resources of money, manpower and MSM propaganda (I believe that 4 out of the 5 biggest news media outlets in your country are Jewish controlled) behind the candidacy of the Democrat Bill Clinton. Recalling what a scandal-ridden presidency his was I believed at the time and still believe today it would have been better had George Bush the elder won a second term in office - even though he was normally somewhat overcautious in his conduct of policy.

The point about your US Jewish lobby is that they do not care. They are quite impartial as to who they support and ruthless in pursuit of their goals - the chief of which is the preservation of the State of Israel.

You claim that the USA supports Israel because it admires Israel's high level of achievement? I say that public opinion in your country has been cruelly manipulated by the proactive agents of a foreign power. Do I believe that to be fair? No, I don't!
Had you bothered to read Glick's article, you would have discovered that the "Jewish controlled" news media are generally supportive of left-wing interests, which as she points out are in opposition to Republican (including POTUS) support for Israel.

User avatar
dagbay
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:27 pm

Re: Caroline Glick

Post by dagbay » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:58 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:27 am
Dagbay,

I doubly curse the memory of Adolf Hitler.

Not only because the bastard sent over 6 million Jews to their death but because by so doing he made the emergence of a Jewish state inevitable.

I draw your attention to Resolution 181: passed by the United Nations General Assembly in November 1947.

https://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/foreignpolic ... 20document).

It was passed when membership in the UN was much smaller than it is now and comprised predominantly of Western states where there was widespread sympathy for the Jewish people as knowledge of the shoah became widespread. Do you believe that such a resolution would have any chance of passing today?

Of course not! Nor would it have happened if WW2 and the mass extermination of Continental European Jewry had never taken place either.

Were I Israeli Jewish I might be inclined to see those 6 million deceased as martyrs whose involuntary sacrifice brought about the birth of my country. But (correct me if I am wrong) I do not get the impression that Jews (unlike Catholics and Muslims) are inclined to cherish the memory of martyrs: only a righteous resentment that goyim should have the unpardonable temerity to make them such.

So just imagine: if Hitler had not sent that 6 million to their deaths then the Middle East would not have that thorn permanently embedded in its side.
I believe that the events of WWII had a supportive impact on the said UN resolution no more. I also tend to agree that in today's UN political setting it might be harder to pass a similar resolution. However the rest of your assumptions and attributed influence are unrealistic and come from a mindset that was cultivated in a world which has the specific history.
I find the comments about martyrdom of 6M Jews distasteful.
Specifically the Resettlement of Israel movement can be traced in the protocols of the Jewish congress. UN Resolution 181 did not materialize out of thin air or pity of the than members of the UN. The case for the establishment of a Jewish national state was in the making more than 60 years prior to that resolution. The UK who controlled the land had been approached legally already in the late 1800's and various legal claims have gone through in Turkey during the Ottoman period ( did you know for example that Jewish organizations procured with existing deeds vast land areas in the south modern Syria the Golan heights in preparation for resettlement) and later in the UK. I will mention the supportive Declaration by Lord Balfour. But there were other legal moves that set the stage for the resolution of 1947.
I'm not sure what is the source of your disappointment with the course of history, but Jews remember each and every slain Jew weather during the Holocaust or in the past 70 years. It is inconsiderable for Jews to justify human sacrifice such as you proposed even on an individual level let alone 6M. Jews belive that life is precious and that every soule is as precious as a whole world.
Anyway as Jim-the-moron wrote; it is better to consider reality and not a what-if alternative history. Given the opportunity Iran would love to proceed from where Nazi Germany stopped -by their own admission. I've learned a long time ago to take threats like those as credible. At some point Iran might try to something stupid. We should be ready but try to make sure it does not happen.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

Post Reply