China - US Trade War

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Re: China - US Trade War

Post by neverfail » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:08 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:22 am

I may be ethnic Chinese, but I am Singaporean. My country is Singapore and not China. For Singapore to thrive, we need freedom of navigation through the South China Sea. China claims 90% of that sea. If they deny permission for ships from Singapore to use that sea, then our port cannot function. That means we got to do their bidding. We become vassals.

The only thing that stops them from taking over the sea is the US. Fortunately for us, they too see it as in their strategic interest that the S China Sea remains as international waters.

And one more thing. They are not my people. My people are my fellow Singaporeans, no matter what race or religion.
Well put, Cass.

In the same way that all of my immigrant ancestors that I have been able to trace back originate from the British Isles with the majority from Ireland; but Australia is the land where I was born and to which my destiny is tied.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:04 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:08 pm
cassowary wrote:

I may be ethnic Chinese, but I am Singaporean. My country is Singapore and not China. For Singapore to thrive, we need freedom of navigation through the South China Sea. China claims 90% of that sea. If they deny permission for ships from Singapore to use that sea, then our port cannot function. That means we got to do their bidding. We become vassals.

The only thing that stops them from taking over the sea is the US. Fortunately for us, they too see it as in their strategic interest that the S China Sea remains as international waters.

And one more thing. They are not my people. My people are my fellow Singaporeans, no matter what race or religion.
Well put, Cass.

In the same way that all of my immigrant ancestors that I have been able to trace back originate from the British Isles with the majority from Ireland; but Australia is the land where I was born and to which my destiny is tied.
Thanks Neverfail. Australians and Singaporeans have this in common. We are immigration countries. I am sure that some people think of you as British. It is more difficult for you because the Union Jack is still on your flag. You of course speak English.

For us, we are we are the product of a "mixed marriage". We have a British style Parliament. But we have four official languages of which English is the most important one. But culturally, we are mostly Asian. We are a cosmopolitan city, with people all over the world living here. There are even Russians doing national service.
The Imp :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:49 pm

cassowary wrote:

neverfail wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:08 pm
Well put, Cass.

cassowary wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:04 pm
Thanks Neverfail. Australians and Singaporeans have this in common. We are immigration countries.
Yes, and both founded during the building of the 2nd British Empire. Singapore was founded 31 years after Sydney and 15 years before Melbourne. I consider that a valid point because this 2nd Empire produced a different set of outcomes to the first empire - which came to an end arguably when the American colonies wrested their sovereign independence from the UK.
cassowary wrote:
I am sure that some people think of you as British.

In some parts of the world we occasionally get mistaken for Brits (like in some parts of the USA where to their ears our accent sounds like some kind of UK regional accent). But these days that does not bother me. For over 150 years our immigration policy was biased strongly in favour of encouraging out immigrants from the British Isles ahead of all others: with the inevitable consequence that we (and even more so New Zealand) have a stronger, more palpable legacy of British civilization than you will find in any part of North America (though come to think of it, some corners of Canada's Atlantic coastal provinces might come close to that mark).

In any case Canadians travelling abroad routinely get mistaken for Yanks. So like Canadians we suffer having to pay the cost of historically living long in the shadow of a much bigger, more widely known, English speaking country with whom we have a long past history of interaction.
cassowary wrote:
It is more difficult for you because the Union Jack is still on your flag.
Back in my younger, republican days that used to bother me but it no longer does. I believe that we would be dishonest if we did not acknowledge our long association, historically, culturally etc with the United Kingdom. However, do not be mislead into believing that the UK exercises any sort of political control over us (though some I know still get this false impression).

Even the US State of Hawaii has the Union Jack incorporated into its flag - despite Hawaii never having part of the British Empire.

neverfail

Re: Trump can’t afford to win any more trade wars

Post by neverfail » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:39 am

The response to last week’s grand opening of Costco’s first warehouse store in China was quite a surprise. As reported in the popular media, including Asia Times, throngs waited three hours to get in and two more hours just to get through the checkout line.

The company had to close the doors by 1:30pm on the first day and quickly regulated the numbers on the second day.

This customer response from ordinary, everyday folks certainly belied Trump’s assertion that China’s economy is failing and is a sad commentary of the ignorance and misjudgment of his China team.

Give Costco credit for doing their homework on the China market and hitting the sweet spot for shoppers in Shanghai. The sweet spot is huge, representing the purchasing power of middle-income households of China at about three times that of the US.

How can Trump’s China team be so far off in misreading the strength of China’s economy? Because they are lulled by the complacent feeling that America remains exceptional, that China only knows how to steal and copy and further that China will grovel when faced with the threat of tariffs. They are wrong on all counts.

Trump misled by advisers

Trade negotiator Robert Lighthizer, a trained lawyer, doesn’t know much about economics and believes that the only way to reduce the trade deficit with China is to levy tariffs on imports from China. Trump’s China advisor Peter Navarro never knew much about China and quite willingly pretended that he doesn’t know much about economics either – just like his boss.

That way he can stroke Trump’s ego with the line of nonsense that a trade war with China is easy to win.

The Trump China team never bothered to find out what’s going on in China. If they had, they would realize total foreign direct investments into China in the first half of 2019 actually increased by 1.5% from the previous year. In other words, companies are not backing out but continue to invest in China because, unlike Trump, they believe in China as an attractive place to do business.

China’s GDP increased by 6.5% last year, only 1.5% was due to exports – and obviously exports to America contributed only a fraction of that. In other words, exporting to the US wasn’t as important to China’s economy as Trump had imagined.

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/09/artic ... rade-wars/

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:39 am
The response to last week’s grand opening of Costco’s first warehouse store in China was quite a surprise. As reported in the popular media, including Asia Times, throngs waited three hours to get in and two more hours just to get through the checkout line.

The company had to close the doors by 1:30pm on the first day and quickly regulated the numbers on the second day.

This customer response from ordinary, everyday folks certainly belied Trump’s assertion that China’s economy is failing and is a sad commentary of the ignorance and misjudgment of his China team.

Give Costco credit for doing their homework on the China market and hitting the sweet spot for shoppers in Shanghai. The sweet spot is huge, representing the purchasing power of middle-income households of China at about three times that of the US.

How can Trump’s China team be so far off in misreading the strength of China’s economy? Because they are lulled by the complacent feeling that America remains exceptional, that China only knows how to steal and copy and further that China will grovel when faced with the threat of tariffs. They are wrong on all counts.

Trump misled by advisers

Trade negotiator Robert Lighthizer, a trained lawyer, doesn’t know much about economics and believes that the only way to reduce the trade deficit with China is to levy tariffs on imports from China. Trump’s China advisor Peter Navarro never knew much about China and quite willingly pretended that he doesn’t know much about economics either – just like his boss.

That way he can stroke Trump’s ego with the line of nonsense that a trade war with China is easy to win.

The Trump China team never bothered to find out what’s going on in China. If they had, they would realize total foreign direct investments into China in the first half of 2019 actually increased by 1.5% from the previous year. In other words, companies are not backing out but continue to invest in China because, unlike Trump, they believe in China as an attractive place to do business.

China’s GDP increased by 6.5% last year, only 1.5% was due to exports – and obviously exports to America contributed only a fraction of that. In other words, exporting to the US wasn’t as important to China’s economy as Trump had imagined.

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/09/artic ... rade-wars/
Costco is a discount store. In the US you would be surprised at how very well dollar stores do during recessions. The amount of business they do and their stock prices go up.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:01 pm

Doc wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 am

Costco is a discount store. In the US you would be surprised at how very well dollar stores do during recessions. The amount of business they do and their stock prices go up.
There is a Costco outlet just a few kilometers away from our home. Australia is not in recession but in the years it has been open for business it seems to have done rather well.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:59 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:01 pm
Doc wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 am

There is a Costco outlet just a few kilometers away from our home. Australia is not in recession but in the years it has been open for business it seems to have done rather well.
They do well here as well. If you want to save money Costco is a good place to go. If you really want to save money dollars stores can even be cheaper but check the code dates of any food you might buy there.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:00 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:59 am
They do well here as well. If you want to save money Costco is a good place to go. If you really want to save money dollars stores can even be cheaper but check the code dates of any food you might buy there.
Well, we can probably agree therefore that Costco's first China outlet being overwhelmed by the swarm of eager customers is not a sign of the PRC economy being in any kind of recession?

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:45 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:00 pm
Doc wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:59 am
Well, we can probably agree therefore that Costco's first China outlet being overwhelmed by the swarm of eager customers is not a sign of the PRC economy being in any kind of recession?
It doesn't say much at all Certainly not not worth writing article on it.

neverfail

Re: China - US Trade War: third countries caught in the middle.

Post by neverfail » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:50 pm

WTO deputy says stopping trade war 'beyond its capability', tells Australia to fill the void

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14350

This news report is worth reading in full.