Make Hong Kong Great Again

Discussion of current events
Doc

Make Hong Kong Great Again

Post by Doc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:19 am

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Re: Make Hong Kong Great Again

Post by neverfail » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:24 am

Doc. Hong Kong IS great for its people to stand up to the PRC government (and their own) like that. Don't you think?

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:41 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:24 am
Doc. Hong Kong IS great for its people to stand up to the PRC government (and their own) like that. Don't you think?
It
The government of Hong Kong is the enemy of its own people. It is the People who are great. For now...
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:28 am

Doc

Tell Xi to send the tanks I will be the first to block them

Post by Doc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:38 am

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:42 am

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:46 am

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:56 pm

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:41 am
neverfail wrote:
It
The government of Hong Kong is the enemy of its own people. It is the People who are great. For now...
The enemy of its own people? I think not Doc.

Try to place yourself in their position. HK is not a sovereign state in its own right but have been part of PRC sovereignty since the British handover in 1997. Under that deal the PRC agreed to honour HK's right to live under English common law for 50 years after - until 2047 - from which point on the PRC government could do what it wanted with the former colony. I am pleasantly surprised that the PRC government has honored the agreement to the letter since 1997.

So (bottom line) any HK government when dealing with the PRC is bound to find itself in between a rock and a hard place. Knowing that the PRC could abolish HK's rights and freedoms at a stroke of the pen I would not be surprised to discover that the present HK government, misjudging the strength of public feeling, may have seen giving the PRc the extradition legislation it wanted as "the price that had to be paid" in order to preserve HK's other rights and freedoms at least until 2047. Appeasement!

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:26 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:25 pm
Doc wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:41 am
neverfail wrote:
It
The enemy of its own people? I think not Doc.

Try to place yourself in their position. HK is not a sovereign state in its own right but have been part of PRC sovereignty since the British handover in 1997. Under that deal the PRC agreed to honour HK's right to live under English common law for 50 years after - until 2047 - from which point on the PRC government could do what it wanted with the former colony. I am pleasantly surprised that the PRC government has honored the agreement to the letter since 1997.

So (bottom line) any HK government when dealing with the PRC is bound to find itself in between a rock and a hard place. Knowing that the PRC could abolish HK's rights and freedoms at a stroke of the pen I would not be surprised to discover that the present HK government, misjudging the strength of public feeling, may have seen giving the PRc the extradition legislation it wanted as "the price that had to be paid" in order to preserve HK's other rights and freedoms at least until 2047. Appeasement!
The Beijing government agreed not to change anything in the governance of Hong Kong for 50 years. Carrie Lam is now using the excuse for towing the CCP line by saying she is the mother of the people of Hong Kong and she knows best. She was appointed by the CCP and in all great likeihood a member of the CCP.

If the CCP gets its way it will be the final straw for much of the rest of the world. Without a atonomous Hong Kong the CCP will find that it banking options will be much smaller.