Cassowary kills Florida man

Discussion of current events
Doc

Cassowary kills Florida man

Post by Doc » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:24 pm

I would have never guessed :shock:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/authorities- ... rida-owner
Authorities: Large, flightless bird kills its Florida owner

ALACHUA, Fla. – A large, flightless bird native to Australia and New Guinea killed its Florida owner when it attacked him after he fell, authorities said Saturday.

The Alachua County Fire Rescue Department told the Gainesville Sun that a cassowary killed the man Friday on his property near Gainesville, likely using its long claws. The victim, whose name was not released, was apparently breeding the birds, state wildlife officials said.

"It looks like it was accidental. My understanding is that the gentleman was in the vicinity of the bird and at some point fell. When he fell, he was attacked," Deputy Chief Jeff Taylor told the newspaper.

Cassowaries are similar to emus and stand up to 6 feet (1.8 meters) tall and weigh up to 130 pounds (60 kilograms), with black body feathers and bright blue heads and necks.

The San Diego Zoo's website calls cassowaries the world's most dangerous bird with a four-inch (10-centimeter), dagger-like claw on each foot.

"The cassowary can slice open any predator or potential threat with a single swift kick. Powerful legs help the cassowary run up to 31 miles per hour (50 kph) through the dense forest underbrush," the website says.

Cassowaries are not raised for food in the U.S., but are sought after by collectors.

To get the mandatory permit, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission requires cassowary owners to have "substantial experience" and meet specific cage requirements, spokeswoman Karen Parker told the newspaper.

Wildlife officials did not answer phone calls late Saturday and it could not be learned what happened to the bird.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Re: Cassowary kills Florida man

Post by cassowary » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:03 pm

A majestic bird. It is beautiful but deadly. Besides its sharp toes, it has a sharp beak and a hard growth on its head that it uses to butt you. This can break your bones. They are good jumpers. It will leap five feet up in the air and kick you with its dagger like toe.
The Imp :D

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:06 pm

Respect. We have no reason to mess with you, mehng....'>.........
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Hence the nickname "murder turkey"....
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:38 am

Birds descend from dinosaurs...
Armed with thick, helmet-like plates on their foreheads and powerful legs that can run up to 30 miles per hour, cassowaries are often called “living dinosaurs.” Their 4-inch talons bear an uncanny resemblance to those of velociraptors — and conservationists say the birds are one of the most direct relatives to prehistoric creatures who are still here after 80 million years.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:50 am

Lol that's a painting bro.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:51 am

No surprise to me - we have a parrot that you point at - you can lose a finger.
lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:06 pm
Yep. We here have a resident cassowary, incessantly courteous and generally correct (gasp!) with his observations, but beware!

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:51 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:51 am
No surprise to me - we have a parrot that you point at - you can lose a finger.
lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:06 pm
Yep. We here have a resident cassowary, incessantly courteous and generally correct (gasp!) with his observations, but beware!
Thank you Jim. :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:09 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:03 pm
A majestic bird. It is beautiful but deadly. Besides its sharp toes, it has a sharp beak and a hard growth on its head that it uses to butt you. This can break your bones. They are good jumpers. It will leap five feet up in the air and kick you with its dagger like toe.
I had no idea. Honestly I half expected that Cassowarys were extinct.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Doc wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:09 pm
cassowary wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:03 pm
I had no idea. Honestly I half expected that Cassowarys were extinct.
Cassowaries are living dinosaurs.

Excerpts:
Armed with thick, helmet-like plates on their foreheads and powerful legs that can run up to 30 miles per hour, cassowaries are often called “living dinosaurs.” Their 4-inch talons bear an uncanny resemblance to those of velociraptors — and conservationists say the birds are one of the most direct relatives to prehistoric creatures who are still here after 80 million years.
A very special animal - the last of the dinosaurs. Yes, some dinosaurs had feathers like the Archaeopteryx. Like their dinosaur ancestors, the cassowary is dangerous.
Those talons also make them the most dangerous birds in the world. While cassowaries — who are native to the rainforests of Australia and New Zealand — generally avoid people, they’re a force to be reckoned with if threatened. Despite being flightless, they can jump up to 5 feet into the air, and will kick out with their taloned feet to defend themselves or their nests and babies (adult females, who are larger than males, can stand over 6 feet tall).
Feet of the cassowary

A beautiful bird