Assange Arrested

Discussion of current events
Milo

Assange Arrested

Post by Milo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:11 am

Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London
Assange took refuge in the embassy in 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden over a sexual assault case that has since been dropped.

At Westminster Magistrates' Court on Thursday he was found guilty of failing to surrender to the court.

He now faces US federal conspiracy charges related to one of the largest ever leaks of government secrets.

The UK will decide whether to extradite Assange, in response to allegations by the Department for Justice that he conspired with former US intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning to download four classified databases.

He faces up to five years in US prison if convicted on the charges of conspiracy to commit computer intrusion.

Ecuador's president said it withdrew his asylum after repeated violations of international conventions. But Wikileaks tweeted that Ecuador had acted illegally in terminating Assange's political asylum "in violation of international law".Assange, 47, was initially taken to a central London police station before appearing at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

Dressed in a black suit and black polo shirt, he waved to the public gallery and gave a thumbs up. He pleaded "not guilty" to the 2012 charge of failing to surrender to the court.

The court heard that during his arrest at the embassy he had to be restrained and shouted: "This is unlawful, I am not leaving."

Finding him guilty, District Judge Michael Snow said Assange's behaviour was "the behaviour of a narcissist who cannot get beyond his own selfish interest".

He sent him to Southwark Crown Court for sentencing, where he faces up to 12 months in prison.

Rule of law still intact!

Jim the Moron

Re: Assange Arrested

Post by Jim the Moron » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:35 am

"Rule of law still intact!"

Yes. Most of us are sympathetic to efforts to expose wrongdoings. It is difficult to ascribe such a motive to the actions of this fellow.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:42 am

The US charges against Assange seem to revolve around him actively helping Manning to steal US secrets. As such he would indeed have a real legal problem. The charges he faces in the UK are about jumping bail and failure to appear in court while on bail.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:48 am

Doc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:42 am
The US charges against Assange seem to revolve around him actively helping Manning to steal US secrets. As such he would indeed have a real legal problem. The charges he faces in the UK are about jumping bail and failure to appear in court while on bail.
And Mr Assange is entitled to a hearing in the UK before he can be extradited to the US to face charges there. He can appeal a decision to extradite him.
Last edited by Milo on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:49 am

Milo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:48 am
Doc wrote:
And Mr Assange is entitled to a bail hearing in the UK before he can be extradited to the US to face charges there. He can appeal the extradition decision.
Considering he already jumped bail I would think he is not going to get bail a second time.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:03 am

Doc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:49 am
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:
And Mr Assange is entitled to a bail hearing in the UK before he can be extradited to the US to face charges there. He can appeal the extradition decision.
Considering he already jumped bail I would think he is not going to get bail a second time.
My apologies for changing that post.

The story I linked says that he got 12 months for breaching bail already.

Separately, he will get an extradition hearing.

And you are right: when one willfully breaches bail, one needs a notable change in circumstances to have a hope of getting it again, especially when the breach is so willful and prolonged.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:54 am

Milo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:03 am
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:

And you are right: when one willfully breaches bail, one needs a notable change in circumstances to have a hope of getting it again, especially when the breach is so willful and prolonged.
No problem Thanks.

My question over the extradition is why Assange was not held for extradition to the US in the first place? I mean instead of the charges in Sweden?

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Doc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:54 am
Milo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:03 am
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:

No problem Thanks.

My question over the extradition is why Assange was not held for extradition to the US in the first place? I mean instead of the charges in Sweden?
I don't recall, probably because the Swedish charge was laid first.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:10 am

Doc wrote:
And in Sweden, he is wanted for rape. The guy is in big trouble. He could serve time in all three countries.

He claimed that Russia did not give him the DNC emails. Maybe it was Seth Rich. If that was the case, he could cop a plea bargain. Revealing his source for the DNC email in exchange for leniency.

If it was Seth Rich, it could have been a hit to silence him. Extraditing him to the US could open a can of worms for the Democrats. But this is all speculation.
The Imp :D

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:25 am

Nobody can undo what Assange did. His revelations cannot be reversed. All we are seeing is the revenge of the culprits against the person who dared to expose them. It has nothing to do with justice.