Experiment 104 years in the making: First image of a black hole Live

is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. Add your contributions here!
Doc

Experiment 104 years in the making: First image of a black hole Live

Post by Doc » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:06 am

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

SteveFoerster

Re: Experiment 104 years in the making: First image of a black hole Live

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:37 am

I love the pic of Katie Bouman, the computer scientist who wrote the algorithm that make the image possible, when she first sees the compiled image of the close-up of the event horizon. She just looks so happy!

Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Re: Experiment 104 years in the making: First image of a black hole Live

Post by Doc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:58 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:37 am
I love the pic of Katie Bouman, the computer scientist who wrote the algorithm that make the image possible, when she first sees the compiled image of the close-up of the event horizon. She just looks so happy!

At the press conference in Europe some were coking back tears. This was a huge long term effort with certainly no guarantee of success. Some of the reporters as I recall it was in the US press conference were critical of the fuzziness of the image. Considering this was the equal of reading the date on a quarter in LA from Washington DC this was quite an achievement.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros