The top 1% of Socialism - featuring Tony Castro

Discussion of current events
User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2544
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

The top 1% of Socialism - featuring Tony Castro

Post by cassowary » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:35 pm

Rich kid of Communism: Fidel Castro's model grandson flashes his wealth and love of the high life on Instagram as he travels the world

Image
Tony Castro in his yacht. While thousands of Cubans drown in leaky boat to escape Socialism, Fidel Castro's grandson enjoys his yacht.

Hahaha. The suckers of Socialism are those who support them. I see some of the true believers here in this forum. You know who you are.

In the end, the Castros, Chavezes, Fatty Kims all get rich. There will always be a top 1%. The problem is that Socialism always end up with poverty for the majority. Socialism always provide equality in poverty except for the top 1%.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Supporters of Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and Ocasio Cortez take note.

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: The top 1% of Socialism - featuring Tony Castro

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:28 am

This reminds me of that conversation in the other thread about why more people are below the average in prosperity and fewer people are above it.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail
Posts: 2860
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: The top 1% of Socialism - featuring Tony Castro

Post by neverfail » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:43 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:35 pm
Rich kid of Communism: Fidel Castro's model grandson flashes his wealth and love of the high life on Instagram as he travels the world

Image
Tony Castro in his yacht. While thousands of Cubans drown in leaky boat to escape Socialism, Fidel Castro's grandson enjoys his yacht.

Hahaha. The suckers of Socialism are those who support them. I see some of the true believers here in this forum. You know who you are.

In the end, the Castros, Chavezes, Fatty Kims all get rich. There will always be a top 1%. The problem is that Socialism always end up with poverty for the majority. Socialism always provide equality in poverty except for the top 1%.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Supporters of Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and Ocasio Cortez take note.
Why begrudge the grandson of a late socialist ruler the same pleasures that you would probably never even dream of denying the grandson of a multi-billionaire businessman?

Logically, if the former is under some sort of moral obligation to practice self-denial then so is the latter.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2544
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The top 1% of Socialism - featuring Tony Castro

Post by cassowary » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:46 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:43 pm
cassowary wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:35 pm
Rich kid of Communism: Fidel Castro's model grandson flashes his wealth and love of the high life on Instagram as he travels the world

Image
Tony Castro in his yacht. While thousands of Cubans drown in leaky boat to escape Socialism, Fidel Castro's grandson enjoys his yacht.

Hahaha. The suckers of Socialism are those who support them. I see some of the true believers here in this forum. You know who you are.

In the end, the Castros, Chavezes, Fatty Kims all get rich. There will always be a top 1%. The problem is that Socialism always end up with poverty for the majority. Socialism always provide equality in poverty except for the top 1%.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Supporters of Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and Ocasio Cortez take note.
Why begrudge the grandson of a late socialist ruler the same pleasures that you would probably never even dream of denying the grandson of a multi-billionaire businessman?

Logically, if the former is under some sort of moral obligation to practice self-denial then so is the latter.
According to my grandma, my grandfather arrived in Singapore penniless. On his first day, he had to pawn his trousers to buy food. He started a small business bringing water to shops and homes. It was back breaking work. When he died, he was the largest shareholder of a bank and owned properties and a rubber plantation.

But unlike Fidel Castro, he never claimed to be doing his work to benefit the poor. He earned the money to support his family and grew wealthy doing it. But he gave generously to charity. Castro's career was different. He started off his political career claiming/pretending to care for the poor. He pretended to abide in an ideology called Socialism which promised equality of wealth for everyone.

It was a lie. All Castro really wanted was power, money and girls. See this article on Fidel's Castro's life of luxury and girls.
“While his people suffered, Fidel Castro lived in comfort — keeping everything, including his eight children, his many mistresses, even his wife, a secret,” wrote Juan Reinaldo Sanchez, Castro’s longtime bodyguard.
My grandfather, as a successful entrepreneur of capitalism, created many, many jobs. He uplifted many, many people as a result. I have pointed out to you before that for most companies, the payroll (ie the wages and salary of employees) exceeds the profits that goes to shareholders. *

And some companies are losing money. This means that shareholders lost money while their employees still get paid.

What did Castro do? He enriched himself and his family but impoverished his people, many of whom believed in his promises. While thousands of Cubans fled to capitalist America in leaky boats, Tony Castro, is having a fun time in his yacht.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

* Depending on the industry, the payroll can be anything from 10% of revenue to 30%. Labour intensive industries like restaurants and retail will have payroll of 30% of revenue while highly automated industries like oil refining will be around 10%. One the other hand, net profit (if any) as a percentage of revenue is usually below 10%. 15% would be considered very good.

So as a class (since Marxists like to talk about class struggle), the proletariat benefits more from capitalism than the capitalist. If you don't believe me, ask the Cubans fleeing Socialism in leaky boats.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2544
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The top 1% of Socialism - featuring Tony Castro

Post by cassowary » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:20 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:28 am
This reminds me of that conversation in the other thread about why more people are below the average in prosperity and fewer people are above it.
That's a good question Steve. I think it is because it is difficult to acquire or even hold on to wealth. If you have a business, you will find the market is merciless. Things change and profitable business today can be unprofitable tomorrow.

Besides the vagaries of the market, there are many pitfalls in life that can impoverish you. Drugs, alcohol, divorce (read womanizing), sloth, gambling, extravagance (or living beyond your means) are some of the pitfalls. By the way, do you know that Jonathan Gruber, MIT professor and architect of oBUMaCare, wrote a paper saying that regular church goers are richer?

My inference is that things like drugs, drunkenness, sexual promiscuity, sloth etc are regarded as sins. So their faith has instill discipline in them to avoid these impoverishing pitfalls. I have relatives who became poor despite inheriting wealth. They simply did not have the discipline to control their spending. There are also many stories of people winning the lottery but squandered away all that money.

Then there is the element of luck. Being at the right place and the right time can make you rich. One last thing that helps is your IQ. You don't have to be a genius but if you are lucky to have an above average IQ, it helps. Since IQ follows a normal distribution, the income curve should also be normal if all other factors are equal.

But the fact is that the statistics show that about 60% of the people have below average income suggests that the other factors must be at work. In short, those that lack discipline outnumber the better disciplined. Some might say they became poor or have below average income because they are the bigger sinners. Haha.

neverfail
Posts: 2860
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: The top 1% of Socialism - featuring Tony Castro

Post by neverfail » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:03 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:46 pm

According to my grandma, my grandfather arrived in Singapore penniless. On his first day, he had to pawn his trousers to buy food. He started a small business bringing water to shops and homes. It was back breaking work. When he died, he was the largest shareholder of a bank and owned properties and a rubber plantation.

But unlike Fidel Castro, he never claimed to be doing his work to benefit the poor. He earned the money to support his family and grew wealthy doing it. But he gave generously to charity. Castro's career was different. He started off his political career claiming/pretending to care for the poor. He pretended to abide in an ideology called Socialism which promised equality of wealth for everyone.

It was a lie. All Castro really wanted was power, money and girls. See this article on Fidel's Castro's life of luxury and girls.
“While his people suffered, Fidel Castro lived in comfort — keeping everything, including his eight children, his many mistresses, even his wife, a secret,” wrote Juan Reinaldo Sanchez, Castro’s longtime bodyguard.
My grandfather, as a successful entrepreneur of capitalism, created many, many jobs. He uplifted many, many people as a result. I have pointed out to you before that for most companies, the payroll (ie the wages and salary of employees) exceeds the profits that goes to shareholders. *

And some companies are losing money. This means that shareholders lost money while their employees still get paid.

What did Castro do? He enriched himself and his family but impoverished his people, many of whom believed in his promises. While thousands of Cubans fled to capitalist America in leaky boats, Tony Castro, is having a fun time in his yacht.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

* Depending on the industry, the payroll can be anything from 10% of revenue to 30%. Labour intensive industries like restaurants and retail will have payroll of 30% of revenue while highly automated industries like oil refining will be around 10%. One the other hand, net profit (if any) as a percentage of revenue is usually below 10%. 15% would be considered very good.

So as a class (since Marxists like to talk about class struggle), the proletariat benefits more from capitalism than the capitalist. If you don't believe me, ask the Cubans fleeing Socialism in leaky boats.
In the whole of your above rant you have still failed to come to grips with the gist of my question. which is:

Why should socialists be placed under a moral constraint to abstain from conspicuous consumption when wealthy capitalists do not themselves set the shining example of self-denial?

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2544
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The top 1% of Socialism - featuring Tony Castro

Post by cassowary » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:50 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:03 am

Why should socialists be placed under a moral constraint to abstain from conspicuous consumption when wealthy capitalists do not themselves set the shining example of self-denial?
I thought I was clear.

Its because Socialism is supposed to be about equality of wealth. Socialism is about redistributing wealth from the rich to the poor.

Don't you find it hypocritical for a Socialist like Castro to redistribute wealth to himself?

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: The top 1% of Socialism - featuring Tony Castro

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:15 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:03 am
Why should socialists be placed under a moral constraint to abstain from conspicuous consumption when wealthy capitalists do not themselves set the shining example of self-denial?
Because socialist (and corporatist, and most other) politicians use force to take wealth from people, whereas entrepreneurs earn it by selling something that people actually choose to buy.

I mean, come on, are you really so ideologically anti-profit that you cannot tell any moral difference between a successful entrepreneur and a despotic kleptocrat?
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail
Posts: 2860
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: The top 1% of Socialism - featuring Tony Castro

Post by neverfail » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:31 pm

cassowary wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:50 am
Don't you find it hypocritical for a Socialist like Castro to redistribute wealth to himself?
No Cassowary: beasuse Fidel Castro was a classic revolutionary socialist; in thrall to Marx's thesis of the working poor and oppressed rising up to take that which was/is rightfully theirs.

Classic revolutionary socialism has absolutely nothing to do with then orderly redistribution of wealth and everything to do with the seizure of the means of production: interpreted by some as the seizure of all private property.

There is nothing I can see in their creed to say that a socialist cannot be wealthy.

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1582
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: The top 1% of Socialism - featuring Tony Castro

Post by Milo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:03 pm

Actually nowhere does the article say that he is rich.

And virtually everything you see on Instagram is faked.
New York City has an apartment solely for Instagram influencers to take pictures in
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 63371.html

Post Reply