My way or the Huawei!

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: My way or the Huawei!

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:15 am

Milo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:28 am
China sentences Canadian man to death
A court in China has sentenced a Canadian to death for drug smuggling in a ruling which will worsen a diplomatic row between the two countries.

Robert Lloyd Schellenberg was originally given a 15-year jail term in 2018 but after an appeal the court said the sentence was too lenient.

China has denied that it is using its legal system to take hostages as bargaining chips in the Huawei case.

But for whatever reason China has suddenly begun working hard to push Schellenberg's case to international prominence, taking the highly unusual step of inviting foreign journalists into the court, the BBC's John Sudworth in Beijing reports.

And despite the Canadian's insistence that he is innocent, his retrial lasted just a day, with his death sentence coming barely an hour after its conclusion, our correspondent says.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-46866941

Hopefully this young man will not die because Canada refuses to break its own laws to appease this tyranny!
Its laws or US illegitimate laws?...

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:47 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:15 am
Milo wrote:
A court in China has sentenced a Canadian to death for drug smuggling in a ruling which will worsen a diplomatic row between the two countries.

Robert Lloyd Schellenberg was originally given a 15-year jail term in 2018 but after an appeal the court said the sentence was too lenient.

China has denied that it is using its legal system to take hostages as bargaining chips in the Huawei case.

But for whatever reason China has suddenly begun working hard to push Schellenberg's case to international prominence, taking the highly unusual step of inviting foreign journalists into the court, the BBC's John Sudworth in Beijing reports.

And despite the Canadian's insistence that he is innocent, his retrial lasted just a day, with his death sentence coming barely an hour after its conclusion, our correspondent says.

Hopefully this young man will not die because Canada refuses to break its own laws to appease this tyranny!
I'm curious. To which US "illegitimate" laws are you referring?

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:11 am

Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

Its of course. Pay attention.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:53 am

In a place like the People's Republic of China the law is there to serve the best interests of the Chinese Communist party. On the occasion that it dispenses impartial justice it does so DESPITE its reason for being; not because of it.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:17 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:47 am
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

Those which sanction countries and firms doing non-military business with Iran.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:30 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:17 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

And precisely which "illegitimate laws" are those?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:30 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

:roll:

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:27 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:38 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:30 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Milo wrote:

:roll:
OK - I fail to see how sanctions applied under law can be considered "illegitimate." Guess ligitimacy is in the eye of the beholder?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:08 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:27 pm

OK - I fail to see how sanctions applied under law can be considered "illegitimate." Guess ligitimacy is in the eye of the beholder?
Ask Milo what is the difference between legal and legitimate. He is more qualified than I am to explain it to you...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:36 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:27 pm
Yes, I'd say basically by definition.

But then, most progress in human rights comes from those willing to do the tedious thinking required to distinguish the two. Abolitionism and civil rights are probably the two most notable examples, but there are others.

In this case, U.S. policymakers are trying to say that certain actions of foreign national in foreign countries are illegal if they involve third countries that those U.S. policymakers dislike. The arrogance of that sort of overreach is breathtaking, and yes, in my opinion illegitimate.

Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac