Doc

Re: "Peek a Boo Oil"

Post by Doc » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:21 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:17 pm
Some basics:
1. Energy self-sufficiency is a good thing. The U.S. can achieve.
2. The ability for companies to market natural gas and oil overseas is a good thing. U.S. companies are doing so.
3. Extracting and marketing fossil fuels creates jobs. It's happening in the U.S.
4. Producing and marketing renewable forms of energy is good for the environment, creates jobs, and is happening outside the U.S....
What you mean is "producing products that take advantage of renewable forms of energy" I have seen over and over again where production of such products is more environmentally damaging than the products they are meant to replace.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:43 am

Doc wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:14 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Some basics:
2. The ability for companies to market natural gas and oil overseas is a good thing. U.S. companies are doing so.
3. Extracting and marketing fossil fuels creates jobs. It's happening in the U.S.
4. Producing and marketing renewable forms of energy is good for the environment, creates jobs, and is happening outside the U.S....
What you mean is "producing products that take advantage of renewable forms of energy" I have seen over and over again where production of such products is more environmentally damaging than the products they are meant to replace.
You mean like the strip mining the Chinese do for the rare earth metals required to make hybrids and electric cars, and that sort of thing?
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:00 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:43 am
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:
Some basics:
You mean like the strip mining the Chinese do for the rare earth metals required to make hybrids and electric cars, and that sort of thing?
Yeah that sort of thing.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:22 pm

Doc wrote:
Like where and when, doc?

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:29 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:22 pm
Doc wrote:
Like Steve said in strip mining to get the rare earth minerals, and, as I recall, in disposing of things like the batteries after they are worn out.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:29 pm
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:
Like Steve said in strip mining to get the rare earth minerals, and, as I recall, in disposing of things like the batteries after they are worn out.
Quite right. Apparently, if you're truly an environmentalist, the best car you can buy is a used car.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:04 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:13 pm
Doc wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:29 pm
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:
Quite right. Apparently, if you're truly an environmentalist, the best car you can buy is a used car.
Plus realizing we current live in a throw away society, maybe fix up so other things, rather than compete in the mad race of consumerism.

One good example I can think of is After a major flood in WV there was a guy going around and picking up flooded TV sets for free.

As long as they were turned off during the flood he would dry them out clean the insides so they would work again. Then turn around and sell them for $100 to $250 each. He sold about 200 TVs that way.