"To be rich is glorious".

Discussion of current events
neverfail

"To be rich is glorious".

Post by neverfail » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:42 pm

The words are alleged to be from Deng Xiaoping ; reformer of the Peoples Republic of China. 8-)

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/sep/09 ... s/fi-deng9

But now I read an article in the Asia Times advising us that we are the World's richest people: 8-)

http://www.atimes.com/article/to-be-aus ... o-be-rich/

So, to put 2 x 2 together and hopefully get 4 for an answer, does it mean that to be Australian is glorious?

:lol:

Milo

Re: "To be rich is glorious".

Post by Milo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Almost as glorious as Canadian!

neverfail

Re: the Two sister dominions, a brief comparison

Post by neverfail » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:55 pm
:D You would say that, wouldn't you Milo?

Not wishing to tarnish your Canadian glory Milo; but i think that there is something to which I should draw to your attention to:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... os/ca.html

(Source of info; CIA World factbook.)

Population:

Canada: = 35,881,659.
Australia: = just over 25 million (CIA figure is out of date)

Size of GDP (official exchange rate)

Canada = 1.65 trillion
Australia = 1.38 trillion.

So it means that with just 70% of Canada's population Australia still manages to produce (2017 figures) a Gross Domestic Product equal to approximately 83% of yours.

No Milo, I am not using these figures to insinuate that Canada is underperforming: only that Australia is punching well above its weight.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:25 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:43 pm
Milo wrote:

Not wishing to tarnish your Canadian glory Milo; but i think that there is something to which I should draw to your attention to:

Population:

Canada = 1.65 trillion

So it means that with just 70% of Canada's population Australia still manages to produce (2017 figures) a Gross Domestic Product equal to approximately 83% of yours.

No Milo, I am not using these figures to insinuate that Canada is underperforming: only that Australia is punching well above its weight.
Speaking of punching above its weight - GDP per capita
Canada 51,700 USD
Australia 53,800 USD
Singapore 57,700 USD
USA 59,500 USD

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:42 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Canada 51,700 USD
Australia 53,800 USD
Singapore 57,700 USD
USA 59,500 USD
Money can help facilitate happiness but it cannot buy it. I still get the impression that those privileged to be citizens of the first two on average live better than those who are cursed to be citizens (or residents) of the bottom two where the overall quality of life falls somewhat short of accepted standards.

In the two western provinces of Canada we visited earlier this year, it was all so much like what I was accustomed to in Australia that I felt almost that I could probably slot into the way of life there and only be barely conscious that I had ever left Australia.

(Well, until the first of Canada's legendary deep freeze winters hit me at which point I would probably be yearning to return to Australia ASAP.)

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:28 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:42 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:

Canada 51,700 USD
Australia 53,800 USD
Singapore 57,700 USD
USA 59,500 USD
Money can help facilitate happiness but it cannot buy it. I still get the impression that those privileged to be citizens of the first two on average live better than those who are cursed to be citizens (or residents) of the bottom two where the overall quality of life falls somewhat short of accepted standards.

In the two western provinces of Canada we visited earlier this year, it was all so much like what I was accustomed to in Australia that I felt almost that I could probably slot into the way of life there and only be barely conscious that I had ever left Australia.

(Well, until the first of Canada's legendary deep freeze winters hit me at which point I would probably be yearning to return to Australia ASAP.)
Portugal's GDP per capita is just over 1/3 of the US figure. And one thing I can assure you: except on what concerns the bottom 1/5 or our population, quality of life in Portugal is way above that of the US. We live longer, we are happier, we are more tolerant, we get along with each other a lot better, violent crime is a hell of a lot lower...

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 am

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:28 am
neverfail wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:42 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:

Canada 51,700 USD
Australia 53,800 USD
Singapore 57,700 USD
USA 59,500 USD

Portugal's GDP per capita is just over 1/3 of the US figure. And one thing I can assure you: except on what concerns the bottom 1/5 or our population, quality of life in Portugal is way above that of the US. We live longer, we are happier, we are more tolerant, we get along with each other a lot better, violent crime is a hell of a lot lower...
No doubt Portuguese are happy folks. And why shouldn't they be? Consider the two primary industries of Portugal - the manufacture of bongs and cork stoppers for wine bottles.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:08 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 am

No doubt Portuguese are happy folks. And why shouldn't they be? Consider the two primary industries of Portugal - the manufacture of bongs and cork stoppers for wine bottles.
Wrong! :D You should go back to the published statistics, even those of the CIA... :twisted:

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:20 am

Jim the Moron wrote:

Canada 51,700 USD
Australia 53,800 USD
Singapore 57,700 USD
USA 59,500 USD
Americans on average might earn more than we do but as the Asia Times article makes clear they don't necessarily end up better off. Australians enjoy ownership of a higher median value of assets.

Yanks earn more but it seems that Aussies invest more sustainably. :D

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:30 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:43 pm
Milo wrote:

Population:

Canada = 1.65 trillion

Canada 51,700 USD
Australia 53,800 USD
Singapore 57,700 USD
USA 59,500 USD
In this area, no one beats mighty Qatar. ;)
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac