Taxes and Economic Success

Discussion of current events
SteveFoerster

Re: Taxes and Economic Success

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Doc wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:34 pm
It isn't that the rich are not taxed enough. The problem is the lack of levelness of the playing field. That is largely not level because of manipulation of government by making members of the government rich.
...which is not to say I disagree with this. George Carlin was right: "It's a big club, and you ain't in it."

And it really annoys me when people mislabel this as "capitalism", to the point where I wrote this a few years ago:

No, Joseph Stiglitz, Corporatism Is Not Laissez Faire
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:05 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:09 pm
Doc wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:09 pm
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/te ... mome_share
Census Bureau: 5 Richest U.S. Counties Are D.C. Suburbs; 10 of Nation's 20 Richest Counties in D.C. Area

By Terence P. Jeffrey | December 6, 2018 | 10:36 AM EST
More people in the D.C. area come by those high salaries honestly than you might think. Loudoun County, for example, is less government employees and more tech company employees. The part of that county adjacent to Dulles Airport went from being thick with cow patties to being thick with data centres in about twenty years. I mean, there was nothing out there when I was a kid, and now it's a giant area of upper-middle-class-and-up suburbia.
Kind of like the town you grew up in doesn't exist anymore? My mother grew up in a town that was a coal camp. There is literally nothing left there except a field.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:07 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:12 pm
Doc wrote:
It isn't that the rich are not taxed enough. The problem is the lack of levelness of the playing field. That is largely not level because of manipulation of government by making members of the government rich.
...which is not to say I disagree with this. George Carlin was right: "It's a big club, and you ain't in it."

And it really annoys me when people mislabel this as "capitalism", to the point where I wrote this a few years ago:

More kleptocracy than capitalism. Politicians see themselves as people that aid other people in over coming the screw ups of government in return for something you do for them. Your vote Your money Your endorsement...

Great example:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/clinto ... adows-says
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:31 am

Doc wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:07 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:12 pm
Doc wrote:

More kleptocracy than capitalism. Politicians see themselves as people that aid other people in over coming the screw ups of government in return for something you do for them. Your vote Your money Your endorsement...

Great example:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/clinto ... adows-says
So, you take the word of a politician that another politician is crooked?

Isn't it just as likely, given what you say here, that the politician saying this is the crooked one?

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:34 am

Doc wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:05 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
More people in the D.C. area come by those high salaries honestly than you might think. Loudoun County, for example, is less government employees and more tech company employees. The part of that county adjacent to Dulles Airport went from being thick with cow patties to being thick with data centres in about twenty years. I mean, there was nothing out there when I was a kid, and now it's a giant area of upper-middle-class-and-up suburbia.
Kind of like the town you grew up in doesn't exist anymore? My mother grew up in a town that was a coal camp. There is literally nothing left there except a field.
I grew up in Arlington, Virginia. It's definitely still there, but when I was a kid is was almost entirely suburban in character, and now large parts of it are decidedly urban. It helped that there are height restrictions in Washington, D.C. itself, which is why Arlington has taller buildings than Washington itself does.

The Pentagon and Arlington National Cemetery are the same, though.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:35 am

Milo wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:31 am

Isn't it just as likely, given what you say here, that the politician saying this is the crooked one?

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:53 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:34 am
Doc wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:05 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
I grew up in Arlington, Virginia. It's definitely still there, but when I was a kid is was almost entirely suburban in character, and now large parts of it are decidedly urban. It helped that there are height restrictions in Washington, D.C. itself, which is why Arlington has taller buildings than Washington itself does.

The Pentagon and Arlington National Cemetery are the same, though.
I drive through the area all the time Either to go to Dulles or Reagan. I just came back through Reagan a couple months ago. I broke my glasses right before the trip and had a heck of a time driving through all the construction detours around it to get home.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:57 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:53 pm

I drive through the area all the time Either to go to Dulles or Reagan. I just came back through Reagan a couple months ago. I broke my glasses right before the trip and had a heck of a time driving through all the construction detours around it to get home.
Which proves what?

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:19 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:57 pm
Doc wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Which proves what?
Nothing I was just talking NF.

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:38 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:35 am
Milo wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:31 am

But it isn't both for so many.

For them the mantra is that all politicians are utterly corrupt stops as soon as a Republican makes a statement against a Democrat. At that point; any weasel worded, hyperbolic accusation is treated as completely truthful and motivated by only the most noble impulses.

Let's take the article above:

"Mark Meadows, R-N.C., told Fox News"

"According to the Hill report"

"potential wrongdoing"

So, we have a Republican oriented news outlet and Republican Congressperson saying they have evidence of potential wrongdoing by the Clintons.

IOW, the article means exactly nothing. It''s actually utterly transparent in its agenda. Only someone who has it in for the Clintons in the first place could read that and think there was anything more than cheap political shots at play. Doc seems to think it's something else though.

And it's a very consistent pattern for our Republican friends on here.