Great Depression’ ahead?

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Great Depression’ ahead?

Post by neverfail » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:04 pm

IMF sounds dire warning
Massive government debts and eroded fiscal buffers since 2008 suggest global dominos await a single market crash

http://www.atimes.com/article/great-dep ... e-warning/

Spengler supports IMF gloom:

Here are a dozen different culprits that are threatening to derail the US stock market

http://www.atimes.com/article/the-us-st ... t-express/

Milo

Re: Great Depression’ ahead?

Post by Milo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:40 pm

The media is in a permanent state of hysteria these days but what goes up must come down.

The stock markets just had a big sell off and oil is at a five year peak.

However, next week is a notable earnings season; we'll know a lot more by next weekend.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:38 am

Thanks Milo.

Over the past decade I have been aware that governments in both the US and Europe have only treated the symptoms, not the root causes, of the 2007-08 GFC crash. I have long believed that their lack of action in structural reform have damned our world to a plunge into very hard times reminiscent of the Great Depression of the 1930's era. :(

They have wasted an entire decade through inaction on reform.

The current Trump tax cut (not tax reform) powered 4% plus non-sustainable US growth rate has convinced Trump devotees (poor deluded sods) that the current POTUS is the new messiah; the font of all wisdom in matter economic. They are soon to learn that they are watching the last brilliant sunset afterglow before darkness sets in.

A very long and very dark night to come.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 am

What I really got out of that is a reminder that the comments on Asia Times articles are cancer, and I'm now even more grateful for all of you, disagreements and all.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Well, the IMF is not the Asia Times and would not sound a warning like that lightly.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:26 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:42 pm
Well, the IMF is not the Asia Times and would not sound a warning like that lightly.
I know -- I was referring to reader comments only, not the content itself!
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:31 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:26 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:42 pm
I know -- I was referring to reader comments only, not the content itself!
Thanks Steve!

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:58 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:38 am
Thanks Milo.

Over the past decade I have been aware that governments in both the US and Europe have only treated the symptoms, not the root causes, of the 2007-08 GFC crash. I have long believed that their lack of action in structural reform have damned our world to a plunge into very hard times reminiscent of the Great Depression of the 1930's era. :(

The current Trump tax cut (not tax reform) powered 4% plus non-sustainable US growth rate has convinced Trump devotees (poor deluded sods) that the current POTUS is the new messiah; the font of all wisdom in matter economic. They are soon to learn that they are watching the last brilliant sunset afterglow before darkness sets in.

Andrea Mitchell's husband is no longer chairman of the federal reserve. From 2000 until 2012 the world poverty rate fell by 15%
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:58 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thanks Milo.

Andrea Mitchell's husband is no longer chairman of the federal reserve. From 2000 until 2012 the world poverty rate fell by 15%
Ah yes, the latest deep state bugaboo. Right on time.

Let's hear it Doc!

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:58 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thanks Milo.

Alan Greenspan must have foreseen that conditions were ripe for the coming GFC that erupted the year after his final one on the Federal Reserve Board (2006). That way he was able to dodge the blame. Poor Bob Bernache! He gained the position in time to have to answer a lot of awkward questions soon after.

(Moral to story: if you want to go into retirement with the myth of your infallible wisdom intact; do what Alan Greenspan did and know the right time to quit - even if it sets your successor in office up to be the fall guy after you are gone. ;) )

Doc: the IMF warning suggests that even the cleverest Federal Reserve Board chairman will not be able to save the World from the catastrophe it is now poised on.