The "Good" Censor: Google decides it can no longer support free speech

Discussion of current events
lzzrdgrrl

Re: The "Good" Censor: Google decides it can no longer support free speech

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:00 pm

PSA Sitch comes back for a second helping....'>.........

I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:34 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:00 pm
PSA Sitch comes back for a second helping....'>.........

Again:

https://www.quora.com/Why-should-I-use- ... -of-Google

Why should I use DuckDuckGo instead of Google?
and again

https://qz.com/1395246/googles-censored ... -by-china/

and again

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/3/17647 ... censorship

and again:

https://theintercept.com/2018/08/01/goo ... ensorship/

And also this

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/09/10/go ... -to-china/
Google Is Handing the Future of the Internet to China
The company has been quietly collaborating with the Chinese government on a new, censored search engine—and abandoning its own ideals in the process.
Evil is as evil does
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:07 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:00 am
In the spirit of "voice and exit", if it's clear that ordinary people have no voice when it comes to what Google, Facebook, and other large Internet corporations do, then where's the exit? What alternative search options are practical that are committed to neutrality? Which browser would one use other than Chrome? Which online productivity suites other than GSuite? What social media networks would one use other than Facebook and Twitter?
Well I would like to think this forum, where to some extent civility and sanity, generally reigns is somewhat of an exit. When I first started using the internet back in the mid 90's you could not (outside of usenet anyway) find a more friendly and intelligent crowd of people to talk to on or offline.

Man has that ever changed.

Browser: Firefox It actually has new privacy features similar to Noscript that have just come out with the latest release.

Never use the cloud to store personal stuff. This includes web mail services like Hotmail or any of them. The US government including the IRS considers all email more than six months old to be in the public domain. Never use gmail which immediately considers your email to be in their commercial domain.

Social media: I had a list the other day of 5 alternates to Twitter other than Gab. Which has now be effectively shut down because of it free speech policy. I will see if I can find it.

There are also alternates to Facebook Some are improvements on Facebook that tend to respect your privacy whereas Facebook never heard of personal privacy unless it is Mark Zuckerburg's

The main issue with all of these services is that the number of people using them is small.

But make no mistake Privacy has always been an issue online. Back in the 90's it seemed like a new very cool app was coming out every day. Two I used ICQ and Iphone(a Video VOIP app not to be confused with apple's smart phone) both had back doors that were actively being used very clumsily used by their common creator. Yairgo (I don't remember his name at the moment ICQ #80000 I was ICQ# 110000 or something like that.) Anyway in both apps his account name would pop up as part of conversations, on a fairly regular basis, when I was having conversations with other people. As a common creator of both, while I am sure the Massoud had a back door as well, he seemed to be more of a peeping Tom than a spy, as I could not have been so interesting otherwise.

I tried to confront him about it on ICQ but he never even acknowledge my messages.

There were some encounters with other somewhat creepy people as well.

Though don't get me wrong. Back then the internet was a place of absolute wonder It was really awesome at 36kbps Without Google without Facebook and without Twitter. Outside of usenet there was little talk about politics. Even among extremely political people. Like the group of Chilean expat Allende supporters I met online and used to hang around with in Toronto. Who in turn introduced me a an Hasidic Jewish Peruvian shaman.

The one that really sticks with me is the woman whose name she would never tell me, that had the (trained?)voice of an angel. I have never ever heard anyone that could sing like that before or since. I was a single dad of a five year old at the time and she sang my son to sleep **from** Singapore. Incredible. Cass, if you happen to know someone who's description fits, please tell them I said thank you so much.

But the list goes on and on and on. The things that happened to me were astounding. It was like I was suddenly living on a different planet. At the time I lost count I had online friends in 45 different countries. Friends that shared very much of the same interests I had. And I have a lot of interests.

IMHO the internet today is a sad pathetic shadow of what it once was. Yes the technology is so much easier to use. But ease of use seems to me to be the problem. The learning curve as the price of admission is much too shallow, yet much too steep to really comprehend.

So maybe it is a good idea to take the apps less traveled.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:01 pm

Doc wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:07 am
Well I would like to think this forum, where to some extent civility and sanity, generally reigns is somewhat of an exit. When I first started using the internet back in the mid 90's you could not (outside of usenet anyway) find a more friendly and intelligent crowd of people to talk to on or offline.

Oh, it's still okay around here. We get heated, but this is a remarkably ideologically and geographically diverse set of individuals for its size, and that makes it a lot more interesting than some echo chamber would be.
Doc wrote:
Browser: Firefox It actually has new privacy features similar to Noscript that have just come out with the latest release.

Hmm. For legacy reasons I'm still using Chrome with the the DuckDuckGo privacy plugin. I wanted to love Firefox forever, I'd been using it since it was in beta, but a few years ago its memory leaks finally drove me away.
Doc wrote:
Never use the cloud to store personal stuff. This includes web mail services like Hotmail or any of them. The US government including the IRS considers all email more than six months old to be in the public domain. Never use gmail which immediately considers your email to be in their commercial domain.
For those who don't know what you're talking about: https://www.wired.com/2011/10/ecpa-turns-twenty-five/
Doc wrote:
Social media: I had a list the other day of 5 alternates to Twitter other than Gab. Which has now be effectively shut down because of it free speech policy. I will see if I can find it.

There are also alternates to Facebook Some are improvements on Facebook that tend to respect your privacy whereas Facebook never heard of personal privacy unless it is Mark Zuckerburg's

The main issue with all of these services is that the number of people using them is small.
That's true. But because of its architecture, I still want Mastodon and the Fediverse to thrive, whatever else out there does too.
Doc wrote:
But make no mistake Privacy has always been an issue online. Back in the 90's it seemed like a new very cool app was coming out every day. Two I used ICQ and Iphone(a Video VOIP app not to be confused with apple's smart phone) both had back doors that were actively being used very clumsily used by their common creator. Yairgo (I don't remember his name at the moment ICQ #80000 I was ICQ# 110000 or something like that.) Anyway in both apps his account name would pop up as part of conversations, on a fairly regular basis, when I was having conversations with other people. As a common creator of both, while I am sure the Massoud had a back door as well, he seemed to be more of a peeping Tom than a spy, as I could not have been so interesting otherwise.

I tried to confront him about it on ICQ but he never even acknowledge my messages.

Though don't get me wrong. Back then the internet was a place of absolute wonder It was really awesome at 36kbps Without Google without Facebook and without Twitter. Outside of usenet there was little talk about politics. Even among extremely political people. Like the group of Chilean expat Allende supporters I met online and used to hang around with in Toronto. Who in turn introduced me a an Hasidic Jewish Peruvian shaman.
Sounds like you've been around long enough to appreciate it if I remark that today is just day 9,191 of the Eternal September....
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:25 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:01 pm
Doc wrote:

Oh, it's still okay around here. We get heated, but this is a remarkably ideologically and geographically diverse set of individuals for its size, and that makes it a lot more interesting than some echo chamber would be.[/quite]

Yes echo chambers aren't much fun either.
Doc wrote:

Hmm. For legacy reasons I'm still using Chrome with the the DuckDuckGo privacy plugin. I wanted to love Firefox forever, I'd been using it since it was in beta, but a few years ago its memory leaks finally drove me away.
I understand all too well. Years ago people were bugging me to switch to linux when my legacy was most MS
Doc wrote:
For those who don't know what you're talking about: https://www.wired.com/2011/10/ecpa-turns-twenty-five/
Doc wrote:

That's true. But because of its architecture, I still want Mastodon and the Fediverse to thrive, whatever else out there does too.
Doc wrote:

Sounds like you've been around long enough to appreciate it if I remark that today is just day 9,191 of the Eternal September....
You bring up the unmentionable Steve.

Around 1998 to 2000 when the whole of the internet was sort of opened up to the users of that service is when things really got bad. The IQ of the internet must have dropped by 75% overnight. I ended up going back to telnet for a while.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:53 pm

Long article worth the read especially after the biographical stuff.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... ium=social
Can Mark Zuckerberg Fix Facebook Before It Breaks Democracy?
The most famous entrepreneur of his generation is facing a public reckoning with the power of Big Tech.
[....}

If Facebook were a country, it would have the largest population on earth. More than 2.2 billion people, about a third of humanity, log in at least once a month. That user base has no precedent in the history of American enterprise. Fourteen years after it was founded, in Zuckerberg’s dorm room, Facebook has as many adherents as Christianity.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:28 pm

https://qz.com/1145669/googles-true-ori ... veillance/

They’re always watching.
SEARCH AND DESTROY
Google’s true origin partly lies in CIA and NSA research grants for mass surveillance
Jeff Nesbit
By Jeff NesbitDecember 8, 2017