Rod Rosenstein now being investigated for FISA warrant abuse

Discussion of current events
Doc

Rod Rosenstein now being investigated for FISA warrant abuse

Post by Doc » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:41 am

TO the point that Rosenstein is no longer allowed to make FISA warrant requests.

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Re: Rod Rosenstein now being investigated for FISA warrant abuse

Post by Milo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Doc wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:41 am
TO the point that Rosenstein is no longer allowed to make FISA warrant requests.

You forgot the question mark.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:18 am

There shouldn't even be FISA warrants or a FISA court. It's a Star Chamber. :x
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:35 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:18 am
I absolutely agree. But if there is to be a FISA system it should be based on Thin Thread. Which of course excludes the vast majority of people and concentrates on real suspects.

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Okay, that video is over an hour and a half. Care to give me the executive summary? :)

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:47 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:23 pm
Okay, that video is over an hour and a half. Care to give me the executive summary? :)
You need to watch it. Every American needs to watch it. It has mulitple former NSA employees and one congressional intel committee investigator in it.

It screams 911 did not have to happen except for incompetence, and greed for money and power. Without that, 911 would have absolutely been prevented.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:47 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
You need to watch it. Every American needs to watch it. It has mulitple former NSA employees and one congressional intel committee investigator in it.

It screams 911 did not have to happen except for incompetence, and greed for money and power. Without that, 911 would have absolutely been prevented.
Then I'll save 90 minutes and tell you I already knew that.

Thing is, at this point 9/11 was seventeen years ago. What now?

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:12 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:04 pm
Doc wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:47 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:

Then I'll save 90 minutes and tell you I already knew that.

Thing is, at this point 9/11 was seventeen years ago. What now?
If you watch the first 15 or 20 minutes you will watch it all.

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:54 am

Doc wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:35 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
I absolutely agree. But if there is to be a FISA system it should be based on Thin Thread. Which of course excludes the vast majority of people and concentrates on real suspects.

I just looked it up and it seems there were good reasons mooted to reject it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinThread

Maybe the guy who didn't get the contract is not the most reliable source of information as to whether it should be uaed ?

But then your OP title is inaccurate too.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Milo wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:54 am
Doc wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:35 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:

I just looked it up and it seems there were good reasons mooted to reject it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinThread

Maybe the guy who didn't get the contract is not the most reliable source of information as to whether it should be uaed ?

But then your OP title is inaccurate too.
You even didn't watch the documentary. I know that because your claims have little to do with the truth. Trail Blazer, the SAIC version of Thin Thread that cost the US Government $5 billion dollars was a complete failure. Thin Thread worked and did the same thing for 1/15th the cost. The documentary names the bad actors as well. SO how come the bad actors did not sue for liable? I mean they look really really bad in the documentary.

Binney's basic complaint about Trail Blazer, and what has come after its failure, is that they generate magnitudes more information than can be handled by NSA Analysts. Thin Thread on the other hand instead of requiring huge mega server farms to hold all the material (The massive one in Utah has already filled to maximum and another has been constructed ) was designed to throw out everything that did not matter and zero in on individuals and information that is relevant. Which also protects individual rights as everything we say and do is not recorded in huge mega server farms for whoever to use against us if needed at some future date.

From the WIkiPedia article ***YOU*** posted
.....They complained to the DoD Inspector General office in 2002 about mismanagement and the waste of taxpayer money at the NSA surrounding the Trailblazer program.....
The result of the DoD IG complaint was a 2004 audit report that was released under FOIA in 2011.[6] Although highly redacted, the report contained significant criticisms of Trailblazer, and included some relatively minor criticisms of ThinThread, for example, citing a low "quality of service and support" from the ThinThread program team, a lack of documentation, a lack of a configuration management system, and a lack of a trouble ticket system. However, "The findings that led to the recommendations would not have prevented the successful deployment of THINTHREAD ... the recommendations were made to improve the operational efficiency of THINTHREAD after it was deployed ..."[11]
Technical detailsEdit

The program would have used a technique of encrypting sensitive privacy information in an effort to comply with legal concerns, and would have automatically identified potential threats. The sources of the data for this program would have included "massive phone and e-mail data," but the extent of this information is not clear. Only once a threat was discovered, would the data be decrypted for analysis by agents.[12]

ThinThread would have bundled together four cutting-edge surveillance tools.:[1]

Used more sophisticated methods of sorting through massive phone and e-mail data to identify suspect communications.
Identified U.S. phone numbers and other communications data and encrypted them to ensure caller privacy.
Employed an automated auditing system to monitor how analysts handled the information, in order to prevent misuse and improve efficiency.
Analyzed the data to identify relationships between callers and chronicle their contacts. Only when evidence of a potential threat had been developed would analysts be able to request decryption of the records. This component is known as MAINWAY and, according to Pulitzer Prize winning journalist James Risen, "MAINWAY [became] the heart of the NSA's domestic spying program."[13]