Belmont Club

Forum for pundits of interest to Davosman members. Please make one thread per pundit.
lzzrdgrrl

Re: Belmont Club

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:18 pm

Belmont Journal

Nov 5 2020 22:45

The biggest downside to censorship, shadow-banning, and other methods of distortion and thought-control is it destroys information. This is one of the fundamental reasons why the progs do so badly against Black Swans. They can’t conceive them or think outside the box to solve them because they have destroyed the information that might have enabled them.

But it’s worse than this. They have a tendency to throw printed money at problems and since printed money is, in a sense, nothing but misinformation, the real amount of reliable data falls even more. One reason why the election polls were so bad was that they were recording self-noise.
https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/20 ... l-n1127961
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:23 pm

Mirror Mirror on the Wall
Russia and China — not to mention North Korea and Iran — are all on the move and don’t seem deterred by Washington. If disaster overtakes the Biden Harris restoration future historians will conclude that organized self delusion played a leading part. The cultural and political establishment belief in the Great Reset after Trump sputtered and instead of the predicted return to normal the global world has continued its descent into crisis. Perhaps the status quo overattributed the problems of the old global world to populist unrest and failed to address the basic weaknesses which caused them. They thought they could pick up where they left off and couldn’t.
https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/20 ... 5-n1437169

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:33 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:23 pm
Russia and China — not to mention North Korea and Iran — are all on the move and don’t seem deterred by Washington. If disaster overtakes the Biden Harris restoration future historians will conclude that organized self delusion played a leading part. The cultural and political establishment belief in the Great Reset after Trump sputtered and instead of the predicted return to normal the global world has continued its descent into crisis. Perhaps the status quo overattributed the problems of the old global world to populist unrest and failed to address the basic weaknesses which caused them. They thought they could pick up where they left off and couldn’t.

"While Biden-Harris sees itself as 'back' in charge, recent Great Power challenges treat them as a fading, decadent relic."

" . . . Nov 2020 . . . march of folly by Washington's ruling class."

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:51 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:33 pm
lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:23 pm

"While Biden-Harris sees itself as 'back' in charge, recent Great Power challenges treat them as a fading, decadent relic."

" . . . Nov 2020 . . . march of folly by Washington's ruling class."
The great Reset isn't painless but it brings on many changes....

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... cy/617459/
The Risk of John Kerry Following His Own China Policy

Any progress on climate change will be lost if the frame is one of a grand bargain with Beijing.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:18 pm

Western Civilization's Growing Intellectual Dead Zones
The world is living through a crisis of civilization which differs from ordinary disruption in that it involves not a breakdown of physical systems, as might be caused by a natural disaster or technological failure, but is a malaise afflicting the intellectual functioning of society itself.

By its nature, a civilizational crisis affects elite institutions, the dominant ideology, the core operating system of a ruling system. It is not a breakdown of the backward periphery but a madness in the heart of empire, a rot in its ivory towers......
https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/20 ... s-n1440872

We reprise the Ceausescu moment.......

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:03 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:18 pm
Western Civilization's Growing Intellectual Dead Zones
The world is living through a crisis of civilization which differs from ordinary disruption in that it involves not a breakdown of physical systems, as might be caused by a natural disaster or technological failure, but is a malaise afflicting the intellectual functioning of society itself.

By its nature, a civilizational crisis affects elite institutions, the dominant ideology, the core operating system of a ruling system. It is not a breakdown of the backward periphery but a madness in the heart of empire, a rot in its ivory towers......
https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/20 ... s-n1440872

The only good counter revolutionary is a dead counter revolutionary
- from the hearts of all members of the idiot elite classes of history:

Geesh. How annoying Youtube is getting to be. Seems they don't like videos about history or maybe they just want to know whose watching.. Oh well I guess we just have to go someplace else.

Graphic warning

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:34 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
I fail to see what the (well deserved) overthrow of the Ceausesco dictatorship in Romania has to do with the current US status quo.

The Romanian upheaval was one of several that took place across the Soviet union's empire in eastern Europe following the fall of the Berlin wall that ended with the crumbling away of Communist rule in the USSR in 1991.

No resemblance between Romania's situation then and that of the US now.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:08 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:34 pm
lzzrdgrrl wrote:
I fail to see what the (well deserved) overthrow of the Ceausescu dictatorship in Romania has to do with the current US status quo.

The Romanian upheaval was one of several that took place across the Soviet union's empire in eastern Europe following the fall of the Berlin wall that ended with the crumbling away of Communist rule in the USSR in 1991.

That's sorta the deal right there, the breakdown of the empire so to speak. The Ceausescu Moment refers to the obliviousness of the ruling elite right up to the moment they're cuffed and walked out to the wall.......

Fernandez wrote this in the predictive sense and several things need be agreed upon. There is a ruling elite imposing their vision of Utopia on a majority of the population by pulverising their institutions and demolishing their high trust society. The demographic affected by this domicide will respond in various ways from refusnik behaviour to outright revolt. The elite will hang tight within their bubble until hanging from the nearest traffic semaphore enters their imminent salience landscape.......'>.....

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:52 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:08 am
neverfail wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:34 pm

I fail to see what the (well deserved) overthrow of the Ceausescu dictatorship in Romania has to do with the current US status quo.

That's sorta the deal right there, the breakdown of the empire so to speak. The Ceausescu Moment refers to the obliviousness of the ruling elite right up to the moment they're cuffed and walked out to the wall.......

Fernandez wrote this in the predictive sense and several things need be agreed upon. There is a ruling elite imposing their vision of Utopia on a majority of the population by pulverising their institutions and demolishing their high trust society. The demographic affected by this domicide will respond in various ways from refusnik behaviour to outright revolt. The elite will hang tight within their bubble until hanging from the nearest traffic semaphore enters their imminent salience landscape.......'>.....
Okay Izzrdgrrl, now that you have explained it that way I can see the point you were trying to make.

But even with that acknowledgement I still beg to differ. Romania was and is a unitary state, not a federation like the USA and that makes a difference.

Under Ceaucescu the internal political power structure of Romania must have been shaped like a pyramid; with all power worth having in the hands of their "royal couple". While this country is no longer a one-party state but (allegedly) now a multi-party democracy it is still for administrative purposes structured as a unitary state. So are the majority of nation states on this planet.

In the case of the USA political power is much more diffuse. Apart from the fact that even in Washington DC power is not exclusively in the hands of the President (legislative power remains in the hands of the two houses of Congress). In addition to which two non-elected bodies participate in government at federal level: the Federal Reserve Bank (or The Fed) is in charge of monetary policy while your Supreme Court is there to make rulings on Constitutional matters (and this body has more than once derailed the policy initiaves of an incumbent president).

Finally it is worth bearing in mind that the USA is comprised of no less that 50 states: each of which seems to be governed by a state constitution that reminds me of scaled-down versions of your federal constitution; so a state governor is really a president at state level going under another name title. Each with its own two state Houses of Congress as well. State legislatures can and sometimes do pass legislation that go against the wishes of the incumbent chief executive in Washington DC. Before talking about a "governing class" would it not be a good idea to bring these state political structures into the picture as well?

Izz, as I see it the US political power structure is so diffuse that an unheaval like the one that occurred in Romania in 1989 would be impossible - no matter how out of touch with the needs of civil society the political players would seem to be. After all - where would the rebels hit out at? If anything the US has constitutionally erred too much in the opposite direction. While having too many checks and balances might be better than having none; the way that of the US domestic power structure (the one ordained by your constitution) is organised leads to a state of gridlock so easily that I sometimes marvel that anything posative can be acheived in your country by government at all.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:38 pm

I agree with you that the power base within the USA is diffuse, divided between the public and private sectors. What is stimulating the brouhaha is the level of collusion seldom seen before. Another thing is the two opposing factions are friable and liable to fragmentation. That given, poo flinging monkeys will fling their poo...;)..........