He would be a credible candidate.
The Imp :D

Doc

Re: MICHAEL BLOOMBERG MAY ACTUALLY RUN FOR PRESIDENT

Post by Doc » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:11 am

cassowary wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:30 am
Yeah, he like Warren has no grass roots support. He has spent 20 million dollars to make all guns illegal. That alone loses him over half the votes in the country.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:53 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:11 am
cassowary wrote:
Yeah, he like Warren has no grass roots support. He has spent 20 million dollars to make all guns illegal. That alone loses him over half the votes in the country.
Well, I did not know that Doc. Ignoring the fact that he is a multi-billionaire who could afford the cost, it still stands out if is willing to spend that much of his own money on something like that from which he would derive no direct benefit but from which many others would, I can only conclude that he must be sincere in his convictions.

The "lost" votes would be of no consequence Doc. It is the other half of votes that would count. You cannot please everyone and anyone campaigning for election would be a fool were he to try.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:01 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:53 pm
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Well, I did not know that Doc. Ignoring the fact that he is a multi-billionaire who could afford the cost, it still stands out if is willing to spend that much of his own money on something like that from which he would derive no direct benefit but from which many others would, I can only conclude that he must be sincere in his convictions.
Or someone that has always wanted to be president and being a billionaire $20 million is pocket change.
The "lost" votes would be of no consequence Doc. It is the other half of votes that would count. You cannot please everyone and anyone campaigning for election would be a fool were he to try.
The lost votes would be his starting point. He would have to get almost all the votes in the various 50 states that he did not start without having any possibility to get.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Alexis

The Alternate Joe Biden

Post by Alexis » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:12 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:01 pm
Or someone that has always wanted to be president and being a billionaire $20 million is pocket change.
According to Forbes, his wealth is presently about $53 billion. Indeed, to him $20 million is mere pocket change.

Regarding his motivations, on October 14th it was reported that
Bloomberg was “still looking at” a bid, albeit contingent on Joe Biden dropping out.
"Contingent on Joe Biden dropping out" means he considers himself as the emergency solution, the alternate Biden so to say, in case the original is no longer available.

So why is he doing it? Well, to make sure that one classical "System" candidate remains in the course no matter what.

For whatever their differences, Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren have one thing in common: they are not System candidates.

In 2016, there was only one System candidate among the two, and she lost.

A lot of powerful people will probably vehemently refuse the absolutely unprecedented possibility that in 2020 there would be no System candidate at all...

armchair_pundit

Post by armchair_pundit » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:21 pm

I wouldn't doubt that one of Bloomberg's prime motivators at this particular point is to take out Warren.

He doesn't want to pay a 6% progressive "wealth" tax of $3.2B a year, plus all the other taxes that the rich and not so rich pay already at the local, state and federal levels, but can't say that and be a good proggie...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Shh. Don't speak too loud. He might hear you. Let him try. The more contestants the more divided the Democrats will be.
The Imp :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:08 pm

cassowary wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:31 pm
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
Shh. Don't speak too loud. He might hear you. Let him try. The more contestants the more divided the Democrats will be.
[/quote

You can stick a fork in the Democrats they are done.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:20 pm

Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:
cassowary wrote:
The point you seem to have missed is that he could have spent that "pocket change" in support of the gun lobby and its interests. Instead it spent it in opposition to it. That counts!
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:
The lost votes would be his starting point. He would have to get almost all the votes in the various 50 states that he did not start without having any possibility to get.
Donald Trump started out with no voter support at all - but he still attracted enough to be elected President. Anything can happen.