China's PLA

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

China's PLA

Post by Sertorio » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:31 am

A very long and, so most of you will find, a boring video. I only decided to post it in order for you to realize a bit better what China's military power is. I wonder how many Americans realize what they would be up against if ever there is a war between China and the US. Very probably the PLA can only be defeated through the use of tactical nuclear weapons, with all the risks of their use. Maybe threatening China is not the best way of dealing with it. Will the US ever understand that?

Milo

Re: China's PLA

Post by Milo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:31 am

A very long and, so most of you will find, a boring video. I only decided to post it in order for you to realize a bit better what China's military power is. I wonder how many Americans realize what they would be up against if ever there is a war between China and the US. Very probably the PLA can only be defeated through the use of tactical nuclear weapons, with all the risks of their use. Maybe threatening China is not the best way of dealing with it. Will the US ever understand that?
So, they will parade America to death?

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:58 am

PR job Milo.

A display of armed might like that simultaneously:

1. Sends a message out to foreign powers (incl. above all the United States) that we have the means to stand up to you, so do not mess with us.

2. Reassures the Chinese public that they are well protected from foreign aggression (unlike during China's century of humiliation). and

3. Also sends out the message to dissidents within: i.e. if you dare to rise up in violent revolt against this regime we have the means to crush you absolutely.

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:04 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:58 am
PR job Milo.

1. Sends a message out to foreign powers (incl. above all the United States) that we have the means to stand up to you, so do not mess with us.

2. Reassures the Chinese public that they are well protected from foreign aggression (unlike during China's century of humiliation). and

3. Also sends out the message to dissidents within: i.e. if you dare to rise up in violent revolt against this regime we have the means to crush you absolutely.
Agreed.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:43 am

neverfail wrote:

I doubt the PLA would be the adequate means to repress any internal turmoil. For that there is the normal police...

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:42 pm

neverfail wrote:
PR job Milo.

Also propaganda that reassures the Chinese public that they can win a war against the US Meaning that Xi hasn't backed down as of yet. But he will. ;)

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:15 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:42 pm
neverfail wrote:

Also propaganda that reassures the Chinese public that they can win a war against the US Meaning that Xi hasn't backed down as of yet. But he will. ;)
I do not believe that the PRC government would be so foolish as to willingly engage the United States in a war: though who knows what the United States may do?

Historical memories of China's century of woe still rankle many Chinese - not just those with connections to their Communist party. Strangely, though both the Japanese invasion and their own civil wars (the one between the Communists and Chiang's nationalists was not the only one to cost millions of lives - recalling the 19th century Taiping revolt) between them cost tens of millions of lives it seems to have been the 19th century machinations of the British and French that cause the greater resentment - even though these cost absurdly few Chinese lives. I suspect the reason for this is that it took so few white Westerners to (figuratively) make a monkey out of China - and Chinese people apparently like to think they are so much smarter than those foreign barbarians. :)

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:22 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:15 pm
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:

I do not believe that the PRC government would be so foolish as to willingly engage the United States in a war: though who knows what the United States may do?

Historical memories of China's century of woe still rankle many Chinese - not just those with connections to their Communist party. Strangely, though both the Japanese invasion and their own civil wars (the one between the Communists and Chiang's nationalists was not the only one to cost millions of lives - recalling the 19th century Taiping revolt) between them cost tens of millions of lives it seems to have been the 19th century machinations of the British and French that cause the greater resentment - even though these cost absurdly few Chinese lives. I suspect the reason for this is that it took so few white Westerners to (figuratively) make a monkey out of China - and Chinese people apparently like to think they are so much smarter than those foreign barbarians. :)
China will only engage in a defensive war against the US, in which case the US would be soundly defeated.

As to "Chinese people apparently liking to think they are so much smarter than those foreign barbarians", I wouldn't be surprised if they were right, at least on what Americans are concerned. Not that there aren't Americans at least as smart as Chinese, but the balance is in China's favour...

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:55 pm

neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:

People are just jealous of China

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:19 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:55 pm
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:

People are just jealous of China

Jealous of someone that is red faced?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Pull the other one! :)