Singapore the big winner and Hong Kong the big sinner?

Discussion of current events
neverfail
Posts: 4324
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Singapore the big winner and Hong Kong the big sinner?

Post by neverfail » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 pm

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/07/artic ... ngs-chaos/
The mammoth protests against a proposed extradition bill that have gripped Hong Kong since early June would be unthinkable in Singapore, which strictly enforces laws that curb public protests and political expression. :shock:


:o Amazing! They have more freedom in Hong Kong than they do in Singapore.

Whoever made the silly suggestion that capitalism always brings about more freedom in its wake?

:idea: I think I know!

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 3559
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Singapore the big winner and Hong Kong the big sinner?

Post by Doc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:37 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 pm
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/07/artic ... ngs-chaos/
The mammoth protests against a proposed extradition bill that have gripped Hong Kong since early June would be unthinkable in Singapore, which strictly enforces laws that curb public protests and political expression. :shock:


:o Amazing! They have more freedom in Hong Kong than they do in Singapore.

Whoever made the silly suggestion that capitalism always brings about more freedom in its wake?

:idea: I think I know!
Who? Globalists everywhere. They said we should send our factories to China because China was going to reform itself and become a democracy. Though they didn't actually get it wrong they just lied about it.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 2196
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Singapore the big winner and Hong Kong the big sinner?

Post by Milo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:37 pm
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 pm
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/07/artic ... ngs-chaos/
The mammoth protests against a proposed extradition bill that have gripped Hong Kong since early June would be unthinkable in Singapore, which strictly enforces laws that curb public protests and political expression. :shock:


:o Amazing! They have more freedom in Hong Kong than they do in Singapore.

Whoever made the silly suggestion that capitalism always brings about more freedom in its wake?

:idea: I think I know!
Who? Globalists everywhere. They said we should send our factories to China because China was going to reform itself and become a democracy. Though they didn't actually get it wrong they just lied about it.
China is not capitalist.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 2983
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Singapore the big winner and Hong Kong the big sinner?

Post by Sertorio » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:38 am

Milo wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 pm

China is not capitalist.
Which is good for them. Or else they wouldn't have grown and developed as much as they did in the last fifty years.

neverfail
Posts: 4324
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Singapore the big winner and Hong Kong the big sinner?

Post by neverfail » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:40 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:38 am
Milo wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 pm

China is not capitalist.
Which is good for them. Or else they wouldn't have grown and developed as much as they did in the last fifty years.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 3411
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: Singapore the big winner and Hong Kong the big sinner?

Post by cassowary » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:26 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 pm
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/07/artic ... ngs-chaos/
The mammoth protests against a proposed extradition bill that have gripped Hong Kong since early June would be unthinkable in Singapore, which strictly enforces laws that curb public protests and political expression. :shock:


:o Amazing! They have more freedom in Hong Kong than they do in Singapore.

Whoever made the silly suggestion that capitalism always brings about more freedom in its wake?

:idea: I think I know!
Wait a minute. This is not true. We got Hong Lim Park for demonstrations.
The Imp :D

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 3559
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Singapore the big winner and Hong Kong the big sinner?

Post by Doc » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:26 am

Milo wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 pm
Doc wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:37 pm
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 pm
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/07/artic ... ngs-chaos/
The mammoth protests against a proposed extradition bill that have gripped Hong Kong since early June would be unthinkable in Singapore, which strictly enforces laws that curb public protests and political expression. :shock:


:o Amazing! They have more freedom in Hong Kong than they do in Singapore.

Whoever made the silly suggestion that capitalism always brings about more freedom in its wake?

:idea: I think I know!
Who? Globalists everywhere. They said we should send our factories to China because China was going to reform itself and become a democracy. Though they didn't actually get it wrong they just lied about it.
China is not capitalist.
Corporatism never is Especially authoritarian corporatism AKA Fascism
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 2196
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Singapore the big winner and Hong Kong the big sinner?

Post by Milo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:23 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:40 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:38 am
Milo wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 pm

China is not capitalist.
Which is good for them. Or else they wouldn't have grown and developed as much as they did in the last fifty years.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think it's a given that they have actually.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 2983
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Singapore the big winner and Hong Kong the big sinner?

Post by Sertorio » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Milo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:23 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:40 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:38 am
Milo wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 pm

China is not capitalist.
Which is good for them. Or else they wouldn't have grown and developed as much as they did in the last fifty years.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think it's a given that they have actually.
Beijing in the 60's and today

Image

Image

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 2196
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Singapore the big winner and Hong Kong the big sinner?

Post by Milo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:53 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:58 pm
Milo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:23 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:40 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:38 am
Milo wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 pm

China is not capitalist.
Which is good for them. Or else they wouldn't have grown and developed as much as they did in the last fifty years.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think it's a given that they have actually.
Beijing in the 60's and today

Image

Image
I could show a similar comparison between the Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany.

Pretty pictures don't mean progress, nor do economic statistics. They CAN mean it but they don't have to.

Post Reply