The College Scam2

High Culture, Religion, Philosophy and Esoterica.
SteveFoerster

Re: Lifestyles of the Rich and Shameless

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:31 am

Milo wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:05 am
My stock reply to these sort of things is that the REAL problem is that some universities are that highly valued.

The education system should be as equal as possible.
Please elaborate?
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:54 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:39 pm
Wake me up when someone decides to give their valedictorian address in assless chaps......'>.......
I would just say that it is presumed that assless chaps are inherently full of it.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

lzzrdgrrl

The College Scam2

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:21 pm

If something's worth cheating for, that sorta implies a value outside the range of normal, pedestrian values. The scam supports the sham.....'>......
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

DMadmin

Re: The College Scam2

Post by DMadmin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Sorry folks I tried to merge "The College Scam" and Lifestyles of the Rich and Shameless" but munged it a bit.

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:59 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:31 am
Milo wrote:
My stock reply to these sort of things is that the REAL problem is that some universities are that highly valued.

Please elaborate?
In Canada, generally speaking, we don't have these 'brand name' schools. If you go to an accredited university here your degree is as good as any other. And our primary education system is quite good too.

That is as it should be. The reason we have public education is largely because it was recognized that relying on private education will increase disparity.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:13 am

Milo wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:59 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Milo wrote:

Please elaborate?
In Canada, generally speaking, we don't have these 'brand name' schools. If you go to an accredited university here your degree is as good as any other. And our primary education system is quite good too.

That is as it should be. The reason we have public education is largely because it was recognized that relying on private education will increase disparity.
Yes it seems that those ivy league schools diplomas are really worth that much if anyone can bribe their way in. Instead of "Ivy league" maybe they should be call "trailer park" schools. As the price of entry is dragging money behind ones car rather the actually being acedemically qualified

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ta ... in-college
Two Stanford Students Are Suing Schools Involved In The College Admissions Scam

Erica Olsen and Kalea Woods are seeking punitive and compensatory damages, as well as compensation for the $80 application fee to apply to Yale University.
Tanya Chen BuzzFeed News Reporter

Posted on March 14, 2019, at 12:43 p.m. ET

Two Stanford students have filed a class-action complaint against the schools involved in the massive nationwide college cheating scandal, claiming they didn't get a fair shot in their applications to the universities.

Erica Olsen and Kalea Woods are suing the schools enmeshed in the racketeering scandal, including Yale University; Georgetown University; the University of Texas; University of Southern California; University of California, Los Angeles; University of San Diego; and Stanford University.

Olsen and Woods are also suing William "Rick" Singer, the man accused of running the entire scam, as well as his organization, the Key Worldwide Foundation.

According to court documents, Olsen and Woods alleged that they were both "qualified" students when they applied to prestigious schools like Yale and USC. However, they were unaware that "unqualified students were slipping in through the back door of the admissions process by committing fraud, bribery, cheating, and dishonesty" during their admissions process.

This bombshell revelation has caused emotional and financial damages to their current academic standings, they allege.

"At the time [Olsen] applied, she was never informed that the process of admission was an unfair, rigged process, in which rich parents could buy their way into the university through bribery," their complaint stated.

"Had she known that the system at Yale University was warped and rigged by fraud, she would not have spent the money to apply to the school. She also did not receive what she paid for — a fair admissions consideration process."

Both plaintiffs are also seeking compensation for paying application fees to the schools — approximately $80 each.

The two students also allege that the scandal, which involves the school they're currently attending, has cheapened their degrees, and may cast a shadow of doubt about their merits to future employers.

"[Woods'] degree is now not worth as much as it was before, because prospective employers may now question whether she was admitted to the university on her own merits, versus having rich parents who were willing to bribe school officials," the case stated.
BTW their are reports that as many as 800 families tried to bribe their children's way in these schools
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:59 pm

Milo wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Milo wrote:

Please elaborate?

From something I was reading:
"An individual's choice of major, such as engineering, is a far more powerful factor in someone's eventual earnings than his or her choice of college."

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:04 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:59 pm
Milo wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Milo wrote:

Please elaborate?

"An individual's choice of major, such as engineering, is a far more powerful factor in someone's eventual earnings than his or her choice of college."
Definitely. That's why after having a ball doing a Poli Sci undergrad I went to law school.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:14 am

Milo wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:04 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Milo wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Milo wrote:

Please elaborate?

Definitely. That's why after having a ball doing a Poli Sci undergrad I went to law school.
Yep. But on the other hand years ago a friend allowed that her degree (top college) was in Philosophy. I asked her "why?" After staring me down for some seconds she replied "because." I never again broached the subject with her.

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:22 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:14 am
Milo wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:04 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Milo wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Milo wrote:

Please elaborate?

Yep. But on the other hand years ago a friend allowed that her degree (top college) was in Philosophy. I asked her "why?" After staring me down for some seconds she replied "because." I never again broached the subject with her.
I had a college Philosophy prof that could start with just about any argument presented to him make three logical arguments as a proof in response, and always conclude with "Thus proving the existence of God." Why am I bringing this up now? Well I guess it is because I did not major in Philosophy, but engineering instead. Thus proving the existence of God. :D