Why America can’t win wars

High Culture, Religion, Philosophy and Esoterica.
Milo

Re: Why America can’t win wars

Post by Milo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:16 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:46 pm
Doc wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:30 pm

ISIS is made up of former Saddam supporters.
To clarify:

In Iraq where Sunni muslims make up around 30% of the population most of them I believe supported Saddam Hussein: because he was one of their own and their protector against the vengeance of the 60% who are Shia.

The bungling, idiotic 2003 US led invasion prosecuted by George Bush and cronies with their silly ideas of transplanting "democracy" to Iraq overturned the traditional Sunni dominance and delivered power into the hands of the Shia majority - making the Sunni vulnerable to Shia retribution over a long list of historical grievances.

Democracy can never thrive in any society where there is such widespread hatred. Why were not Bush and other members of that administration aware of that before setting out on their ill advised Iraq debacle?

Hussein's Baath Party regime was a secular tyranny committed to keeping the Koran and the Imans out of politics. Whilst Saddam Hussein was in power there was no evidence of Sunni Iraqi leanings towards militant Islamic radicalism. It is only since their protector of old was removed that the likes of Al Qaeda and ISIS has gained any real support.

When all secular options of self-defence are stripped away what recourse do you have other than to turn to God?
Bush was not a bungler, he was a genius.

The Iraq occupation was a bonanza for American defence contractors and oil companies!

In order to know who's winning your have to know how the score is kept.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:27 am

Milo wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:16 am

The Iraq occupation was a bonanza for American defence contractors and oil companies!

Thank you. It's amazing how often people forget to follow the money.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:16 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:27 am
Milo wrote:

Are you suggesting that Bush initiated that war just to provide windfall profits for defence contractors and oil companies? That there was no more to it than that?

If true then considering the amount of pain, death and loss they inflicted on the Iraqis (not to mention the unnecessary, far lesser number of deaths of US service personnel) anyone who would inaugurate anything that wicked (or profit from it) deserves nothing less than to follow the likes of Adolf Hitler down to an afterlife eternity in hell.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:46 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:16 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Milo wrote:

Are you suggesting that Bush initiated that war just to provide windfall profits for defence contractors and oil companies? That there was no more to it than that?

If true then considering the amount of pain, death and loss they inflicted on the Iraqis (not to mention the unnecessary, far lesser number of deaths of US service personnel) anyone who would inaugurate anything that wicked (or profit from it) deserves nothing less than to follow the likes of Adolf Hitler down to an afterlife eternity in hell.
Indeed, I've occasionally wished I believe in Hell thanks to such people.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:24 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:46 am
neverfail wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Milo wrote:

Keep trying!

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:16 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:24 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:46 am
neverfail wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Milo wrote:

Keep trying!
FWIW, I do believe exactly that. Perhaps Bush was willfully blind to what was going on but that is the absolute least culpability that I could ascribe to him.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:33 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm
Doc wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:32 pm
The US is supporting the Kurds.
But the Kurds are doing the actual fighting.
and they do it so well

[auote]
Doc wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:32 pm
ISIS is the last vestige of Saddam's resistance.
ISIS came about in the absence of Saddam Hussein.
[/quote]

ISIS is made up of former members of Saddam's resistance to the US invasion. Mostly the Sunni parts of Saddam's army. They continued after his death.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros