Twins get 'mystifying' DNA ancestry test results

is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. Add your contributions here!
Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:50 am

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Re: Twins get 'mystifying' DNA ancestry test results

Post by Milo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:27 am

From what I heard it's not the tests themselves, it's the mathematical models used to interpret the results.

Lawyers are getting some good business out of Chimerism too!
The DNA of Fairchild's children matched that of Fairchild's mother to the extent expected of a grandmother. They also found that, although the DNA in Fairchild's skin and hair did not match her children's, the DNA from a cervical smear test did match. Fairchild was carrying two different sets of DNA, the defining characteristic of chimerism.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Fairchild

One day I hope to have some fun with DNA evidence but I need the right fact pattern to do it.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:42 am

Milo wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:27 am
From what I heard it's not the tests themselves, it's the mathematical models used to interpret the results.

The DNA of Fairchild's children matched that of Fairchild's mother to the extent expected of a grandmother. They also found that, although the DNA in Fairchild's skin and hair did not match her children's, the DNA from a cervical smear test did match. Fairchild was carrying two different sets of DNA, the defining characteristic of chimerism.

One day I hope to have some fun with DNA evidence but I need the right fact pattern to do it.

Yeah that appears to be the case. I suppose that today, if everyone gave two samples of DNA under different names, we would all be chimeras
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:34 pm

I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:29 am

Doc wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:42 am
Milo wrote:

Yeah that appears to be the case. I suppose that today, if everyone gave two samples of DNA under different names, we would all be chimeras
Bear in mind too the commercial tests that you take at home are not up to the standards of a 'CSI' lab.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:53 am

Milo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:29 am
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:

Bear in mind too the commercial tests that you take at home are not up to the standards of a 'CSI' lab.
You mean like the Illinois Crime lab that convicted over 100 people to death with fake DNA evidence? That is in fact when I decided I was against the death penalty, as there are no undos.

Milo

Post by Milo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:27 pm

Doc wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:53 am
Milo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:29 am
Doc wrote:
Milo wrote:

You mean like the Illinois Crime lab that convicted over 100 people to death with fake DNA evidence? That is in fact when I decided I was against the death penalty, as there are no undos.
I should qualify that as my own experience in Canada.