Neverfail's North America notes.

For everything else for now
neverfail

Re: Neverfail's North America notes.

Post by neverfail » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:51 am

Hi Jim, I have so far not seen any visible signs of socioeconomic decay over here so far. The state looks like it is thriving - as do all parts of North America we have so far visited. But who am I to say? We are here as a group of vacationing tourists rather than researchers. Tourists tend to gravitate to the areas that provide enjoyment

On Yosemite; the talked about issue as far as the national park staff are concerned are bears. Because they were in the past allowed to forage in the local rubbish dump they developed an appitite for human food and are dangerously aggressive in foraging for it. So it is illegal to keep food overnight in your car here -likewise rubbish. Hefty fines apply. Significantly, there are no fridges in rented cabins. A bear can smell food from 4 miles away. The policy seems to be working as so far this year there has not been a single human fatality from the park's bears this year.

If the USA itself is awesome, then California literally blows the mind.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:51 am

Hi Jim, I have so far not seen any visible signs of socioeconomic decay over here so far. The state looks like it is thriving - as do all parts of North America we have so far visited. But who am I to say? We are here as a group of vacationing tourists rather than researchers. Tourists tend to gravitate to the areas that provide enjoyment

On Yosemite; the talked about issue as far as the national park staff are concerned are bears. Because they were in the past allowed to forage in the local rubbish dump they developed an appitite for human food and are dangerously aggressive in foraging for it. So it is illegal to keep food overnight in your car here -likewise rubbish. Hefty fines apply. Significantly, there are no fridges in rented cabins. A bear can smell food from 4 miles away. The policy seems to be working as so far this year there has not been a single human fatality from the park's bears this year.

If the USA itself is awesome, then California literally blows the mind.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:29 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 am
Few are "higher end" so with due respects that is a specious argument.
Perhaps it's from being in D.C., but higher end restaurants abound here.
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 am
I can only relate what I have seen Steve. It of course perplexes me as to why anyone would prefer a worse scenario to a better one.
By that same logic, one might ask why people would prefer unemployment to making less money than they would prefer.

Because I know that I wouldn't have, back when I was starting out in life, and working as a waiter in a lower end restaurant in the U.S.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Steve. Why would people prefer unemployment? I could think of a number of reasons: such as the waitress relative in Canada of a friend of mine who abruptly quit her job in anger when her grub of an employer wanted her to prostitute herself. Or are you unaware that vulnerable women in the workplace can be and are abused and/or exploited by employers; even by co-workers to the point where unemployment becomes preferable to sacrifice of dignity.

Have you not heard of the law of diminishing returns? Apparently not! You seem to be another of these materialist types who equates employment narrowly with material reward.

Some terms and conditions of even gainful employment are insufferable.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:11 pm

My last post was from Yosemite. Since then we have visited San Francisco and the Napa Valley wine growing district.

We are now at Monterey. More later.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Following from the above: We seemed to see a lot more homeless men living rough on the streets of San Francisco: but apart from that it looks like a busy, prosperous US metropolis.

SF has changed in one noticeable way in the last 40 years. They have eliminated most of the old cable car routes and just keep a few going to please the tourists.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:31 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:08 pm
Steve. Why would people prefer unemployment? I could think of a number of reasons: such as the waitress relative in Canada of a friend of mine who abruptly quit her job in anger when her grub of an employer wanted her to prostitute herself. Or are you unaware that vulnerable women in the workplace can be and are abused and/or exploited by employers; even by co-workers to the point where unemployment becomes preferable to sacrifice of dignity.
If you want to talk about sexual harassment in the workplace then I suppose we can, but don't pretend that we were before you suddenly brought it up.
neverfail wrote:
Have you not heard of the law of diminishing returns? Apparently not! You seem to be another of these materialist types who equates employment narrowly with material reward.

Are you jet lagged or something? I hardly need a lecture about this -- or did you already forget the part where I said I've actually held this job under the conditions we're actually discussing?
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:39 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:31 pm
neverfail wrote:
If you want to talk about sexual harassment in the workplace then I suppose we can, but don't pretend that we were before you suddenly brought it up.
neverfail wrote:

Are you jet lagged or something? I hardly need a lecture about this -- or did you already forget the part where I said I've actually held this job under the conditions we're actually discussing?
All right Steve, please do not take offense at my comments. You gave me the impression that you held the job when you were young and it was your entry point into the workforce. Okay for you but for many it is their permanent livelihood.

The reference to sexual harassment is but one example of several I can think of why unemployment would be preferable to paid employment under intolerable conditions.

P.S. I an back home again after 5 weeks in North America. Arrived Sydney just this morning after having had a marvellous time over there.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Back home in Oz at last. For the past 5 weeks I have been on the move in North America and have had a joyous time all through my travels. I was largely cut off from the news and unable to participate in this discussion thread.

Possibly this was part of the joy. Going by the shit I have seen posted on Current Affairs since my departure in early May, I have not missed much. :D

neverfail

Re: attention Cassowary.

Post by neverfail » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:24 am

Cass:
I have attempted to email you some photos from my recent North America adventure (you expressed an interest) but have no idea as to whether I was successful. Could you check your emails and let me know?
Nfl.