Neverfail's North America notes.

For everything else for now
neverfail

Re: Neverfail's North America notes.

Post by neverfail » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:45 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:56 am

"Wage justice" is the sort of rhetoric that sounds good until the consequences are felt: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... s-workers/

Besides, waiters at higher end restaurants do very well. (Unless too much of their clientèle is Australian? ;) )
I don't know about your Seattle situation Steve. Perhaps they raised the minimum wage there too high too abruptly. But that is only a wild guess by me.

Back home in Aus, restraunts, coffee lounges, pubs and bars (not to mention our licenced clubs) and such similar venues where waiter staff are employed are just as commonplace in Australian towns and cities as they are here. Yet our globally high mimimum wage seems to have done nothing to reduce their profitability or deter expansion.

The proprirers just seem to accept this as part of their cost structure of doing business.

Meantime, we have moved on. We are now about to move on from a small town east of LA to Yosemite National Park. My next post is likely to be from the Yosemite tourist village.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:22 am

We made it to Yosemite late last night and are still to get out and explore. We drove here via the Sequoia National Park in the Sierra Nevada mountain range having during the morning passed through arid desert country then mile upon mile of flat, irrigated farmland in the San Joaquin valley. Wish I could pass on some snapshots But technical difficulties prevent me. Can only say that if the USA itself is awesome then California literally blows your mind.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:22 am

We made it to Yosemite late last night and are still to get out and explore. We drove here via the Sequoia National Park in the Sierra Nevada mountain range having during the morning passed through arid desert country then mile upon mile of flat, irrigated farmland in the San Joaquin valley. Wish I could pass on some snapshots But technical difficulties prevent me. Can only say that if the USA itself is awesome then California literally blows your mind.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:23 am

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:33 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:56 am
neverfail wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:06 pm
We have been assured for the past 2 generations that (1) Australia is a developed country and that (2) the likes of Canada and the US are likewise developed countries. So it is natural for any Australian travelling abroad to presume that workers in the same menial occupations have made just as much progress in wage justice as our own have.

It subsequently comes as a rude shock to discover that people employed in the more menial of the service occupations in these countries often live desperate lives on the edge.
And here I thought it was Americans who had the reputation for thinking their way was the only acceptable one?

"Wage justice" is the sort of rhetoric that sounds good until the consequences are felt: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... s-workers/

Besides, waiters at higher end restaurants do very well. (Unless too much of their clientèle is Australian? ;) )
Few are "higher end" so with due respects that is a specious argument.

I can only relate what I have seen Steve. It of course perplexes me as to why anyone would prefer a worse scenario to a better one.

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:49 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:13 pm
Doc wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:37 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:30 am
neverfail wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:08 pm
At a Korean restaurant we attended last night I swear that the waiters would likely have lynched up had we not paid up their 15% on top of the bill.
In their defence, they live off tips and foreigners are notoriously poor tippers (even if from ignorance rather than malice).
Asian typically take not getting a tip as a personal insult. And they remember.
Do they, doc? From past experience not in Australia nor in the parts of Asia I have been to.

Presently we are in California in the hinterland of Los Angeles. We are enjoying a few days respite as the guests of old friends. The weather is magnificent. Warm and sunny by day and pleasantly cool at night. I believe that southern California has something of a reputation for that? We are in an area of lush lawns; magnificent hedges and blooming ornamental flowers. Yet I can see that it is all an artifice nurtured by garden sprinklers and irrigation water. The undisturbed surrounding hills, instead of being cloaked in forest trees are covered in a low growth scrub of bushes: a sure indication that this is a semi-arid region of low rainfall.
Better to leave a tip in any event. Most Wait staff in the US make the larger portion of their pay by tips in the US. Some do very very well that way. Others not so much.

I have known many people from the western US comment that when they go to the eastern US that everything is "too green".
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:33 pm

Doc, to conform to local custom we have been doing just that despite the fact that we are not wealthy people ourselves and have no desire to make out that we are big sugar daddy show-off types with lots of cash to throw around.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:57 pm

We still have a week to go before we return home to Australia: but so far (as seen through the eyes of this short-term visitor from overseas), the USA still came across (despite all of the bad news I have read for years about it and one or two of my own complaints) as a surprisingly, even refreshingly, affluent, tranquil and peaceful place.

(posted 4th June 2018 from Yosemite National Park, California, USA).

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:47 am

Interesting commentary, neverfail. Hope you enjoy the wonderful Yosemite parklands.

People are bailing out of California. Taxes, immigration policies, etc. Any views?

Now, it's young girls fleeing from the canyon - this needs revision . . .

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:50 am

Hi Jim, I have so far not seen any visible signs of socioeconomic decay over here so far. The state looks like it is thriving - as do all parts of North America we have so far visited. But who am I to say? We are here as a group of vacationing tourists rather than researchers. Tourists tend to gravitate to the areas that provide enjoyment

On Yosemite; the talked about issue as far as the national park staff are concerned are bears. Because they were in the past allowed to forage in the local rubbish dump they developed an appitite for human food and are dangerously aggressive in foraging for it. So it is illegal to keep food overnight in your car here -likewise rubbish. Hefty fines apply. Significantly, there are no fridges in rented cabins. A bear can smell food from 4 miles away. The policy seems to be working as so far this year there has not been a single human fatality from the park's bears this year.

If the USA itself is awesome, then California literally blows the mind.