Neverfail's North America notes.

For everything else for now
neverfail

Neverfail's North America notes.

Post by neverfail » Mon May 07, 2018 7:11 am

Made it!

After a long journey involving no less that 3 plane connexions, I am now back on the North American continent for the first time in 4 decades.

If anyone is interested I injtend to post here when opportunity permits conveying my impressions as a sort of running record.

See you soon!

Nf.

SteveFoerster

Re: Neverfail's North America notes.

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon May 07, 2018 7:44 am

If your travels take you to the Washington, D.C. are or even within a few hours, please let me know.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon May 07, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi Steve.

Closest we will get to Washinhgton DC is a quich visit to New York City.

Presently we are at Calgary in Canada. Just visited a quite impressive Blackfoot Indian placw that I do not have time to describe now. Calgary is a rather handsome looking North American city.

Steve, I thought you lived in Washington state: not the federal capital.

Must rush now. Dinner engagment.

P.S> tomorrow we are venturing into the Canadain Rockies. Still clocked in snow despite the time of year.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri May 11, 2018 8:44 am

En route now for Vancouver
and Alaska. Social commentary must wait.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri May 11, 2018 7:50 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:44 am
En route now for Vancouver
and Alaska. Social commentary must wait.
Enjoy !!
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat May 12, 2018 9:15 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:23 pm
Hi Steve.

Presently we are at Calgary in Canada. Just visited a quite impressive Blackfoot Indian placw that I do not have time to describe now. Calgary is a rather handsome looking North American city.

Washington State is beautiful, but my U.S. home is in Northern Virginia, just south of Washington, D.C.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon May 14, 2018 5:03 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:15 pm
neverfail wrote:
Hi Steve.

Washington State is beautiful, but my U.S. home is in Northern Virginia, just south of Washington, D.C.
Hi Steve,

Of course I would like to meet you but regret to say that it probably won't be on this trip. I am part of a group and our path is mainly along the North America Pacific side.

I am presently on a few hours passenger "shore leave" from our cruise ship at Juneau, Alaska. I cannot and will not use WiFi on the cruise ship due to the exorbitant cost on board. So I have come ashore to use a PC at a public facility where I can do so without going broke in the process. That is why you (and our other friends) are hearing from me so infrequently these days.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue May 15, 2018 11:10 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:03 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:15 pm
neverfail wrote:
Hi Steve.

Hi Steve,

Of course I would like to meet you but regret to say that it probably won't be on this trip. I am part of a group and our path is mainly along the North America Pacific side.

I am presently on a few hours passenger "shore leave" from our cruise ship at Juneau, Alaska. I cannot and will not use WiFi on the cruise ship due to the exorbitant cost on board. So I have come ashore to use a PC at a public facility where I can do so without going broke in the process. That is why you (and our other friends) are hearing from me so infrequently these days.
Another time, then. :)

In the meantime, enjoy your cruise! I've heard Alaska is beautiful.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat May 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi Steve. Yes, what we saw of Alaska was beautiful. Our ship put in at three panhandle ports" Ketchikan, Juneau and Skaguay. None of the three is big enough to be considered anything other than a small town. Yet with their local architectural style, they had a quaint appeal about them.

At Skaguay we did the railway (sorry, railroad) trip up to White Horse Pass. During the 1898 Klondike gold rush Skaguay was the port of access to the goldfields for the diggers and their provisions alike. Impossible to gain access to it from any part of Canada at the time as separating the Klondike River from the closest Canadian settlement was hundreds of miles of impassable wilderness. So a thin rind of US held territory controlled the access point to a gold rush that took place within Canadain territory.

This rush, the last of the great 19th century gold rushes, whilst multinational in the composition of the fortune seekers like all of the others had a preponderance of American fortune seekers. The USA by then had been in a deep economic depression for years so their were plenty of unemployed men willing to risk all in the hope of striking it rich.

The gold seekers did not have an easy time of it. When I saw the horrifying mountain wilderness terrain they had to climb through (along with their mandatory one ton of provisions per man) and recalling how even after passing over those coastal mountains they still had a 150 mile trek through the wilderness to get to the diggings it is amazing that more of them did not perish.

The scenery was magnificent. Especially so at the top of the pass above the tree line where the vegetation was outright tundra.

Our cruise ended at Seattle where we spent the following day sightseeing, We are now staying at a friend's home on Vancouver Island (BC) to rest up for a few days before proceeding to California.

I was able to post this because I now have use of a laptop instead of a contrary mobile phone.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat May 19, 2018 11:08 pm

We're enjoying your commentary, n'fail.