Bitcoin and crypto currencies

is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. Add your contributions here!
Doc

Re: Bitcoin and crypto currencies

Post by Doc » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:48 pm

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

DavAdmin
Site Admin

Post by DavAdmin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:10 pm

So much for social media monopolies banning crypto ads.

The hypocrisy of it is laughable, especially when the likes of farcebook still allow rogue accounts to disseminate scams on its platform.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:48 am

DavAdmin wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:10 pm
So much for social media monopolies banning crypto ads.

The hypocrisy of it is laughable, especially when the likes of farcebook still allow rogue accounts to disseminate scams on its platform.
Facebook and Twitter do not have the same policies.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

DavAdmin
Site Admin

Post by DavAdmin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:11 pm

But they still both allow crypto scammers to proliferate while banning ads, FB more so that Twitter.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:10 pm

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 am

Doc wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:10 pm
http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech-and- ... cle/525055

Will blockchain replace the web?
Once again, Betteridge's Law of Headlines is proven correct. ("Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no.")

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:36 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 am
Doc wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:10 pm
http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech-and- ... cle/525055

Will blockchain replace the web?
Once again, Betteridge's Law of Headlines is proven correct. ("Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no.")
I don't know Steve I have been hearing a lot about this. Particularly blockchain ledgers. And suddenly Google bans Crypto Currency ads and Warren Buffet is actively railing against Block Chain (Think Geico online insurance). If you can buy directly from a chat app (AI or Human) and skip the web site the feeling is that people will prefer doing that. At that point everything will become direct from the manufacture. Whether or not that happens,as you are correct to point out, is another matter. But a lot of people, and money, are betting it will. and if it does Amazon Google and facebook are in danger of becoming extinct.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:54 pm

Sure, there's a lot of VC money in it, so I'm not surprised you're hearing about it all day long! And yes, there are good possible uses for blockchains out there, like maybe student transcripts or certain sorts of registries. But the hype is stratospheric, like how a few years ago MOOCs were supposedly going to destroy traditional universities.

DavAdmin
Site Admin

Post by DavAdmin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:07 pm

Cryptos will eventually replace fiat - but only when they are truly peer-to-peer and not traded through centralized exchanges or manipulated by whales that own a big stash.

It is natural that central banks and dinosaur billionaires are critical of them.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:03 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:54 pm
Sure, there's a lot of VC money in it, so I'm not surprised you're hearing about it all day long! And yes, there are good possible uses for blockchains out there, like maybe student transcripts or certain sorts of registries. But the hype is stratospheric, like how a few years ago MOOCs were supposedly going to destroy traditional universities.
Honestly I think Online colleges will get there eventually. The problem to date I think is that the big ones charge too much. Like with traditional colleges it is more money than education. As for banks have you noticed recently the number of bank branches that have been closing? It seems people love being able to deposit check remotely via their smart phones Which is how bitcoin is transacted. The real problem with blockchain ledgers is going to be adoption by large business. Company accountants are going to be very skeptical until it is proven trust worthy. as in "What do you mean you didn't get our payment?" How do they explain to their bosses that there is no one to call to find out where the money went and that the transaction can't be reversed"? Accountants would personally see zero benefit of block chain to pay and receive money, just risk. So unless they are told to do it It will not happen. And they will not be told to do it unless the benefit outweighs the risk by a substantial margin and it is painfully obvious to all it will work.