Trump cannot possibly 'win' this trade war!

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: US-China trade in a nutshell

Post by Sertorio » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:56 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:53 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:11 am
cassowary wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:04 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:35 am
cassowary wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:13 am
Sertorio wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:06 am

America can't even reshape itself into a peaceful democracy, much less a country like China...
They did a pretty good job with Japan after WWII.
We will see, once Japan stops being an occupied country...
Japan is not an occupied country. How did you come to that conclusion?
Ask people in Okinawa...
Last I heard, Okinawa is part of Japan.
They are. And they are demanding American forces to leave the island. In other words, an end to occupation...

Alexis

Post by Alexis » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:02 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:56 am
They are. And they are demanding American forces to leave the island. In other words, an end to occupation...
I don't think so. Okinawa people are Japanese. Japan is a democracy, and its government that Japanese have elected is not asking Americans to dismantle their bases and leave.

To date, if I'm not mistaken, only one country has asked Americans to please dismantle their bases and leave. That was France in 1966. That's precisely what Americans did.

If Japan, or any other US ally, at some point takes the same decision, I think Americans will react just the same.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:05 am

Alexis wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:02 am
Sertorio wrote:
I don't think so. Okinawa people are Japanese. Japan is a democracy, and its government that Japanese have elected is not asking Americans to dismantle their bases and leave.

To date, if I'm not mistaken, only one country has asked Americans to please dismantle their bases and leave. That was France in 1966. That's precisely what Americans did.

If Japan, or any other US ally, at some point takes the same decision, I think Americans will react just the same.
It is significant that Okinawans have been for years demanding the withdrawal of American troops, since Okinawa is where most of those troops are stationed in Japan. And the central Japanese government has been ignoring such demand. Which does not seem very democratic, since Okinawans have borne the main burden of the American presence, including frequent rapes of Okinawan girls. To Okinawans, the unwelcome presence of American troops is an occupation.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:57 am

Alexis wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:02 am
Sertorio wrote:

Dear Alexis and Sertorio,

Besides France, the Philippines also asked the Americans to leave. The US used to have Subic Naval Base and Clarke Air Base. The Americans left. This shows that US bases are not occupying the countries. They are there to protect the host countries. When they are no longer needed, the host will politely ask them to leave and they do.

Right now, the Japanese and Koreans and Europeans want America to protect them. That is why the US has bases there.

Russia on the other hand, has troops in Syria to protect the Assad regime. Do the Syrian people want the Russians there? We don't know since there is no democracy in Syria. But my guess is that the majority of Syrians hate Assad and thus want the Russians to leave. So that makes Russia an occupying power to maintain their puppet Assad in power.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:04 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:57 am
But my guess is that the majority of Syrians hate Assad and thus want the Russians to leave. So that makes Russia an occupying power to maintain their puppet Assad in power.
You guess!... Very scientific... All we have seen is peace in areas controlled by the Syrian government, and violence in those controlled by the rebels/terrorists. I very much doubt that under such circumstances most Syrians would want to replace al-Assad with the head-choppers. Or see the Russians go, seeing that they are the ones helping the Syrian government getting rid of the rebels.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:27 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:04 am
cassowary wrote:
But my guess is that the majority of Syrians hate Assad and thus want the Russians to leave. So that makes Russia an occupying power to maintain their puppet Assad in power.
You guess!... Very scientific... All we have seen is peace in areas controlled by the Syrian government, and violence in those controlled by the rebels/terrorists. I very much doubt that under such circumstances most Syrians would want to replace al-Assad with the head-choppers. Or see the Russians go, seeing that they are the ones helping the Syrian government getting rid of the rebels.
Unlikely. The majority of Syrians are Sunnis while Assad is a Shitte. So the Sunnis don't want him to be the ruler. They want him to go and thus want the Russians to go. My guess is better than your guess. As I said, we don't know for sure unless there is an election. My bet is that Assad will lose. That was why there was a revolution in the first place.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:48 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:27 am
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:04 am
cassowary wrote:
Unlikely. The majority of Syrians are Sunnis while Assad is a Shitte. So the Sunnis don't want him to be the ruler. They want him to go and thus want the Russians to go. My guess is better than your guess. As I said, we don't know for sure unless there is an election. My bet is that Assad will lose. That was why there was a revolution in the first place.
Alawites - the sect to which al-Assad belongs - are considered Shiite, but only barely. It's not on religious grounds that al-Assad gets support from Iran, it's on strategical grounds. And the Syrian armed forces will, almost certainly, be majority Sunni, since the majority of the population is Sunny. But you love playing religious groups against each other...

cassowary

Re: Trump cannot possibly 'win' this trade war!

Post by cassowary » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:10 pm

If Assad is so popular, why is there an uprising?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:13 pm

cassowary wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:10 pm
If he is so unpopular, why are there so many Syrians fighting for him?

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:36 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:13 pm
cassowary wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:10 pm
If he is so unpopular, why are there so many Syrians fighting for him?
Silly question Sertorio. If you are an Alawite it is in your best interests to support him as Assad is the only force standing between you and obliteration.

If you are a Syrian Christian then Assad is likewise your protector.

Nothing to do with the bastard's popularity and everything to do with your own survival prospects and that of the group you belong to.