Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:08 pm
We're enjoying your commentary, n'fail.
Thank you Jim. Your supportive message helps make it
worthwhile.

neverfail

Re: Neverfail's North America notes.

Post by neverfail » Sun May 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Yesterday we made the crossing from the USA back into Canada. Our cruise ship discharged us at the port of Seattle: by far the biggest seaport city on the Pacific coast of North America north of California. Seattle could easily swallow nearby Vancouver in BC whole while barely emitting a burp afterward. As for Portland Oregon to the south Seattle could urinate all over that center and probably not even notice. This is to say that Seattle, home of both Boeing and Starbucks is a very important industrial and commercial centre.

We spent the day there walking around taking happy snap photos as tourists universally are wont to do. As we meandered according to no fixed plan safe to say that we were not sleepless in Seattle as much as clueless in Seattle :lol: Not much more that I can say as it is hard to sum up a metropolis the size of this when there only for one day.

To cut the cost of getting to Vancouver Island we caught the ferry to a place called Bainbridge Island (in Puget Sound) then seemed to take a very long bus (not coach) ride to the next ferry terminal at Port Angeles on the tip of the Olympic peninsula. It was this ferry that carried us to Vancouver Island and therefore back into Canada.

(That damned international frontier can be very annoying: causing us to go through customs and immigration on both sides of the border multiple times so we would not need to veer from our travel plan.)

In any case we are now resting up in our friend's home here on the island. Very welcome as we have been constantly on the move since we arrived in North America and we need a few days rest. In the background as I write one of myu party is playing some pleasant music on our hostesses' piano. Today our hostess took us on a drive around the tip of the island where her home is. At one point on the coast she pointed out the outline of the adjacent mountainous Olympic Peninsula in nearby Washington state. That seems to be the point about Canada. If you live in the extreme south of this Dominion where most Canucks seem to live: the USA always seems to loom large in a somewhat intrusive way.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon May 21, 2018 8:49 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:37 pm
At one point on the coast she pointed out the outline of the adjacent mountainous Olympic Peninsula in nearby Washington state. That seems to be the point about Canada. If you live in the extreme south of this Dominion where most Canucks seem to live: the USA always seems to loom large in a somewhat intrusive way.
Only Canadians could have a beautiful view of the Olympic peninsula and still find a way to turn it into a specious complaint about the U.S.! ;)

I spent nearly a year in Bellingham, Washington when I was young, so being familiar with all these locales I'm enjoying your account. The exception is Vancouver Island, which I was told is fantastic but didn't have the chance to visit. My loss!
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon May 21, 2018 9:37 am

Sorry Steve, I must be going native. :lol:

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon May 21, 2018 9:42 am

What we saw of the Olympic Peninsula on way here yesterday was indeed picturesque. But that has been true everywhere we have been in North America so far. Even the flat Alberta prairie was pleasing to our eyes.

This corner of the World is blessed with a surfeit of scenic grandeur.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon May 21, 2018 9:51 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:42 am
What we saw of the Olympic Peninsula on way here yesterday was indeed picturesque. But that has been true everywhere we have been in North America so far. Even the flat Alberta prairie was pleasing to our eyes.

Very true. By the time I was on my way driving to Bellingham, I had visited many places in the Appalachians and had crossed the Rocky Mountains several times by car. But when I got to the Cascades they still took my breath away. Best mountains ever!

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon May 21, 2018 9:58 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:51 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:42 am

Very true. By the time I was on my way driving to Bellingham, I had visited many places in the Appalachians and had crossed the Rocky Mountains several times by car. But when I got to the Cascades they still took my breath away. Best mountains ever!
BC''s motto is "Splendor Sine Occasu" or as we say, beautiful British Columbia!

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon May 21, 2018 7:27 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:58 am

BC''s motto is "Splendor Sine Occasu" or as we say, beautiful British Columbia!
They even have that promotional slogan on their motor vehicle licence plates. I wish they would stop harping on the theme and just let the scenery speak for itself.

P.S. the people here (and in Alberta) are rather nice too.

neverfail

Re: local wildlife.

Post by neverfail » Mon May 21, 2018 7:42 pm

On more than one occasion I have seen deer wander out of nearby bush and munch grass alongside the road - including out front of our hostesses home. Saw one of them this morning marking out his territory by urinating in the gutter out front. I have also been informed that bears sometimes wander into local backyards foraging for food. They cannot even afford to put their rubbish bins alongside the road until the mornings these are actually collected for fear of attracting the unwonted attention of rummaging bears.

SteveFoerster

Re: local wildlife.

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon May 21, 2018 10:34 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:42 pm
On more than one occasion I have seen deer wander out of nearby bush and munch grass alongside the road - including out front of our hostesses home. Saw one of them this morning marking out his territory by urinating in the gutter out front. I have also been informed that bears sometimes wander into local backyards foraging for food. They cannot even afford to put their rubbish bins alongside the road until the mornings these are actually collected for fear of attracting the unwonted attention of rummaging bears.
Deer are common even in nearly urban areas throughout North America. Even when I lived right across the river from Washington, D.C. I would see them regularly.

Bears... not as much. But even they are not rare in northern climes. My relatives in small town New Hampshire see them in the yard sometimes.