Unscientific Method

is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. Add your contributions here!
Apollonius

Unscientific Method

Post by Apollonius » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:46 am

Unscientific method - Heather Mac Donald, City Journal, 8 November 2021
https://www.city-journal.org/scientific ... quity-cult

An astronomer’s peer-reviewed work is passed under the “equity” lens and found wanting.

... From here on, no STEM job or honor awarded to a female or an underrepresented minority will be free from the justified suspicion that the selection was the result of “equity” concerns. The pressure on STEM laboratories and academic faculties to hire by quota rather than by scientific merit grows by the day. And the judgment of scientific research now hinges not on its validity but on whether it allegedly causes “hurt” or impedes the achievement of proportional representation in STEM studies.

The “only thing on anyone’s mind now is redressing inequities,” Kormendy told me, adding that he supports that “honorable” aim. But science is not about social justice. It’s about the advancement of knowledge via the free exchange of ideas and the careful testing of results. Step by step, we are shutting down the very processes of open inquiry and the cultivation of excellence that have freed humanity from so much unnecessary suffering.

Doc

Re: Unscientific Method

Post by Doc » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:12 pm

Apollonius wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:46 am
Unscientific method - Heather Mac Donald, City Journal, 8 November 2021
https://www.city-journal.org/scientific ... quity-cult

An astronomer’s peer-reviewed work is passed under the “equity” lens and found wanting.

... From here on, no STEM job or honor awarded to a female or an underrepresented minority will be free from the justified suspicion that the selection was the result of “equity” concerns. The pressure on STEM laboratories and academic faculties to hire by quota rather than by scientific merit grows by the day. And the judgment of scientific research now hinges not on its validity but on whether it allegedly causes “hurt” or impedes the achievement of proportional representation in STEM studies.

The “only thing on anyone’s mind now is redressing inequities,” Kormendy told me, adding that he supports that “honorable” aim. But science is not about social justice. It’s about the advancement of knowledge via the free exchange of ideas and the careful testing of results. Step by step, we are shutting down the very processes of open inquiry and the cultivation of excellence that have freed humanity from so much unnecessary suffering.
I say give all the STEM awards to Madea. Then they will have Black women trans and fake trans covered all in one person. Madea should win every award !!

After all no one knows what another goes through until they have walked a mile with the others' preferred personal pronoun.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros