The Simulation Hypothesis

is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. Add your contributions here!
User avatar
Doc
Posts: 5116
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The Simulation Hypothesis

Post by Doc » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:23 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:46 pm
"Do we live in a simulation? Chances are about 50 - 50."
https://scientificamerican.com/article/ ... out-50-50/

"So could you detect in the Matrix?"

It's arguably not testable \whether we live in a simulation or not."


Whoa!

IF a simulation, what do we call the supreme intelligent being that created the simulation?
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Jim the Moron
Posts: 2154
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: The Simulation Hypothesis

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:19 am

Doc wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:23 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:46 pm
"Do we live in a simulation? Chances are about 50 - 50."
https://scientificamerican.com/article/ ... out-50-50/

"So could you detect in the Matrix?"

It's arguably not testable \whether we live in a simulation or not."


Whoa!

IF a simulation, what do we call the supreme intelligent being that created the simulation?

The easy answer, as I had previously intimated, would be "God." And why not? Who are we to know?

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 5116
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The Simulation Hypothesis

Post by Doc » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:31 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:19 am
Doc wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:23 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:46 pm
"Do we live in a simulation? Chances are about 50 - 50."
https://scientificamerican.com/article/ ... out-50-50/

"So could you detect in the Matrix?"

It's arguably not testable \whether we live in a simulation or not."


Whoa!

IF a simulation, what do we call the supreme intelligent being that created the simulation?

The easy answer, as I had previously intimated, would be "God." And why not? Who are we to know?
Exactly. Given that most physicists consider themselves atheists(at least it seems that way) seems a bit ironic that they would say there is a 50-50 chance that an all powerful and all knowing "God" exists.

Maybe they should have used the headline
"Science claims that there is only a 50-50 chance that God exists"
:shock: :lol:
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Jim the Moron
Posts: 2154
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: The Simulation Hypothesis

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:18 am

". . . bugs in the very fabric of reality"


"posthumanity"

"Our odds of ever existing in the first place verge on the incalculable small."

"The creators of our simulation are ALSO a simulation." (a mind boggling concept)

Needed - inclusion of simulation theory in theology curricula. (By the way, the short video is highly entertaining. "Eternal life!")

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: The Simulation Hypothesis

Post by Milo » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:44 am

But then there's this mathematician:

The Physics of Immortality: Modern Cosmology, God and the Resurrection of the Dead Paperback – Illustrated, Sept. 18 1997
From Publishers Weekly
Mathematical physicist Tipler attempts to demonstrate via scientific principles the existence of God and the likelihood of reincarnation.
Copyright 1995 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Review
"A doozy of a book... it's 2001: A Space Odyssey meets The Divine Comedy." --Esquire.

"A thrilling ride to the far edges of modern physics." -- New York Times Book Review.

"A dazzling exercise in scientific speculation, as rigoroulsy argued as it is boldly conceived." -- The Wall Street Journal.

"A book that proves the existence of the Almighty and inevitability of resurrection, without recourse to spiritual mumbo jumbo... Tipler does it all." --Mirabella.

Jim the Moron
Posts: 2154
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: The Simulation Hypothesis

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:15 pm

"Ontology 501: Are we just a simulation?"
https://cdapress.com/news/2020/dec/01/s ... imulation/

". . . physical reality is actually information expressed as thought. And it was always there - timelessly emergent."

(I'm considering donning a white sheet and putting forth a theology explaining the true nature of the Supreme Being.)

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 4626
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: The Simulation Hypothesis

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:39 am

Let's for a moment imagine that there is a spiritual omnipotent being some people call "God"...

What would be the nature of such being? In other words, what is it made of? If a spiritual being can think and can do things, it must have some real existence. What is its reality made of? Not forgetting than thinking and doing implies the existence of time and space. In what time and space does it exist? Who gave origin to the time and space in which it exists? Can there be time and space without matter/energy?

And if we think of lesser spiritual beings, such as souls, angels and demons, they seem to be limited and not infinite. How can a spiritual being, which apparently is not made of matter/energy, be limited in space and move about?

Why do we keep believing in impossibilities, to explain what we have not yet come to grasp?...

Jim the Moron
Posts: 2154
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: The Simulation Hypothesis

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:07 am

"Who gave origin to the time and space to which [a God] exists?" (Sertorio)

It cannot be known. Whether it is an impossibility is only one viewpoint - not a fact.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 4626
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: The Simulation Hypothesis

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:22 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:07 am
"Who gave origin to the time and space to which [a God] exists?" (Sertorio)

It cannot be known. Whether it is an impossibility is only one viewpoint - not a fact.
If you think of it, it is more than just one viewpoint. Because there is no other...

Post Reply