Ice Age.

is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. Add your contributions here!
neverfail

Re: an act of divine mercy?.

Post by neverfail » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:07 am
In case anyone is wondering, I could use a good pair of gloves for Christmas

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11- ... ecord-cold
'Mini Ice Age' Looms As NASA Scientist Warns Lack Of Sunspots Could Bring Record Cold
Doc, if a mini Ice Age (like the one that lasted from the late Middle Ages until the 19th century) were to set in then as far as I am concerned it would be an act of divine mercy for my country as well as much of the world.

Right now on the threshold of summer we are about to bake in summertime high temperatures after a drought afflicted winter. We need a mini-Ice Age to counteract the widely felt effects of global warming brought on by modern man's propensity to unleash greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Given the unwillingness of governments to enter into binding international treaties to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, I hope that Dr Phillips warning proves prophetic.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:51 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:47 pm
Doc wrote:

'Mini Ice Age' Looms As NASA Scientist Warns Lack Of Sunspots Could Bring Record Cold
Doc, if a mini Ice Age (like the one that lasted from the late Middle Ages until the 19th century) were to set in then as far as I am concerned it would be an act of divine mercy for my country as well as much of the world.

Right now on the threshold of summer we are about to bake in summertime high temperatures after a drought afflicted winter. We need a mini-Ice Age to counteract the widely felt effects of global warming brought on by modern man's propensity to unleash greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Given the unwillingness of governments to enter into binding international treaties to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, I hope that Dr Phillips warning proves prophetic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ic ... _by_region
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:12 am

Doc wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:51 am
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

Thanks doc.

The difference between then and now is that before the mini-ice age began they would not have had massive greenhouse gas emissions via human activity to unduly warm up the higher latitudes climates.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:43 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:12 am
Doc wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:51 am
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

Thanks doc.

The difference between then and now is that before the mini-ice age began they would not have had massive greenhouse gas emissions via human activity to unduly warm up the higher latitudes climates.
In the last hundred and fifty years(since the end of the last mini ice age) we have seen a temp rise of 0.38 degrees C In the last mini ice age the average drop was 0.6 degrees C At th elowest point it was down 1 degrees C. Since the peak in 1998 the avg is down 0.15 degrees C

The effects of orbital mechanics on climate without solar max and mins and why we are in the middle of an ice age.

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks again for your interest in this topic doc.

I wish it were true. A quick Google survey shows that whilst there is some disagreement among scientists even on this, the overall consensus seems to be that global warming is for real and is speeding up.

The great ice sheets of Antarctica and Greenland are melting at an unprecedented rate. Likewise the World's glaciers are in retreat. I have seen one vivid example with the latter with my own eyes:
.................................................................................................

I visited New Zealand for the first time in 1967-68 as a student backpacker. Among the highlights of that memorable trip was a visit to the Franz Joseph glacier (it was named after the Austro-Hungarian emperor of its year of discovery) on the west side of their South Island. Along with a coach load of other Aussie visiters I had no trouble mounting and walking on top of the low altitude reach of the glacier.

I did not get to re-visit Franz Joseph until 1987, with my wife and young son in tow. Remembering my 1968 adventure I had hoped to lead them on a short walk on top of the ice but we never made it. You see, in the interim the glacier had retreated so far up the valley from melting that after walking over morain for half an hour we gave up and turned back. There were markers placed along the way placed by the NZ national parks authority to mark where the glacier ended in past years. We walked past 1968 where I have last walked on top of the ice and I swear the edge of the glacier was still more than a mile up the valley.

When you have personally had an experience like that it changes your view of global warming.