Is God's Freedom Limited?

High Culture, Religion, Philosophy and Esoterica.
Doc

Is God's Freedom Limited?

Post by Doc » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:54 pm

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Jim the Moron

Re: Is God's Freedom Limited?

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:44 am

As it happens, God will do whatever he/she pleases . . .

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Yes, G_d does limit Himself. That's a valid definition of Creation. Everything we know is what G_d is not. The universe is, because G_d removed himself from it. This is counter-intuitive to anything humans can relate to yet nothing else can describe what G_d is........
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:47 pm

The idea is that G_d is in charge, but not in control. That the world exists for Man to find and fully realise himself. That we're not pets in G_d's aquarium and occasionally He visits us when it's feeding time. Not original by me, no, this also ties in with the question of evil. This happens because people confuse sovereignty with absolute control. I don't know if there's any specific books to read......

Divine self-limitation, like kenosis border on Arminian heresy, though Catholics and Protestants aren't entirely opposed to it........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:50 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:47 pm
. This happens because people confuse sovereignty with absolute control.
Izzy; don't you suspect that they who strive for absolute control. therefore disrespecting the sovereignty of others, are really trying to assume (usurp?) the role of God?

If so, then they must be guilty of the ultimate blasphemy.

(Far more than the trivial act of spelling the supreme being as God instead of as G-d. Sorry Issy, but since I am not Jewish, I therefore do not feel bound by arcane rules derived from the Mosaic second commandment :D )

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:50 pm
lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Izzy; don't you suspect that they who strive for absolute control. therefore disrespecting the sovereignty of others, are really trying to assume (usurp?) the role of God?

(Far more than the trivial act of spelling the supreme being as God instead of as G-d. Sorry Issy, but since I am not Jewish, I therefore do not feel bound by arcane rules derived from the Mosaic second commandment :D )
Quite so. Supplanting the role of G_d by avatars of one's own creation and to justify affecting your Will on others is the root definition of Idolatry. And idolatry can be considered the cardinal Sin in Noahidic tradition as in the Ten Commandments, He refers to it twice.....;>........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:55 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 pm
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:50 pm
lzzrdgrrl wrote:

Quite so. Supplanting the role of G_d by avatars of one's own creation and to justify affecting your Will on others is the root definition of Idolatry. And idolatry can be considered the cardinal Sin in Noahidic tradition as in the Ten Commandments, He refers to it twice.....;>........

Thanks for the affirmation, Izzrdgrrl.