This barbaric form of medieval justice actually worked

High Culture, Religion, Philosophy and Esoterica.
neverfail

Re: Here is someone who appreciate American policing.

Post by neverfail » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:55 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:08 pm
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/m ... iticise-it.

Lee Kuan Yew has always believed the US provided stability and prosperity in Asia.

Yes, but regrettably it seems to bring instability to some other regions: most notably to the muddle East. :)

cassowary

Re: This barbaric form of medieval justice actually worked

Post by cassowary » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:47 pm

The Middle East has always been unstable anyway. I see it like this. America tried to bring stability in the region. But so defective is the Muslim-Arab culture that America failed.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:17 am

Let's compare the US occupation of Iraq with that of Japan. The US occupation of Japan lasted 7 years, from 1945 to 1952. During that time, the US helped to rebuild Japan and held elections. Japan became a prosperous democracy.

In Iraq, the US occupation lasted from 2003 to 2011. During that time, the US helped to rebuild Iraq and held elections. But after the occupation, the country fell into disarray with ISIS taking over a large swath of territory. Whose fault was that?

You can point the finger at oBUMA for prematurely withdrawing US troops. But the root cause is Islam. It is the Koran and Hadiths that gave birth to Murderous ideas that spawned ISIS and al Qaeda. Had there been similar ideas in Buddhism, the aftermath of the US occupation of Japan would not be a happy one. Same occupier but different outcomes. It must be the fault of the one occupied.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 pm

cassowary wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:41 pm
That's nonsense. Bush acted from faulty intelligence. That's all. The region produces oil. Any disruption caused by a madman armed with nukes will cause a world depression.
Bush and his administration lied their asses off about weapons of mass destruction to have an excuse to take Saddam out for threatening the petrodollar.
The US has appointed itself as the world policeman. So it has to do its job.
Not only is that circular, it's not even a big circle. It's no more logical than if I say, "I've appointed myself as the emperor of the world. So I have to do my job."
The rest of us should be grateful even though it sometimes does a bad job.
No, the rest of us should call for the U.S. to go home and stop killing people, destroying things, making lifelong enemies out of the survivors, and squandering trillions of dollars in the process.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:15 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 pm
cassowary wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:41 pm
That's nonsense. Bush acted from faulty intelligence. That's all. The region produces oil. Any disruption caused by a madman armed with nukes will cause a world depression.
Bush and his administration lied their asses off about weapons of mass destruction to have an excuse to take Saddam out for threatening the petrodollar.
You are free to believe that just as I am free to believe otherwise. He did not intentionally lie but was misled by wrong intelligence. It is very stupid to lie about this because it will eventually be proven untrue. This is a huge embarrassment and will lead to electoral defeat for his party. Not to mention going down in the history books. All Presidents have an eye on their place in history. Bush must now go down in history as the Presient who went to war for a wrong reason.

As for the petrodollar, I have debunked that canard many times. It does not affect US prosperity one whit if oil is priced in gold, Euros Yuan or whatever currency.
The US has appointed itself as the world policeman. So it has to do its job.
Not only is that circular, it's not even a big circle. It's no more logical than if I say, "I've appointed myself as the emperor of the world. So I have to do my job."
You don't like the US to be the world policeman? Tell that to the Europeans who depend on the US for protection against first the USSR and now Russia. Tell that to the Vienamese boat people who fled in leaky boats after the US quit it's job as world policeman in Vietnam.

Tell that to the South Koreans and Japanese who protected them from the mirderous Kim family and their Communist Chinese allies for decades. The US spent blood and treasure that they are free and prosperous today. You might not appreciate it but these people are happy of the protection given by the US policeman.
The rest of us should be grateful even though it sometimes does a bad job.
No, the rest of us should call for the U.S. to go home and stop killing people, destroying things, making lifelong enemies out of the survivors, and squandering trillions of dollars in the process.
I don't want them to go home in my part of the world. China is making a grab for nearly the whole of the South China Sea. Only the US policeman can stop them.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:24 pm

And if those problems are so dire, maybe our allies could step up and start paying for their own defence rather than hand that bill over to U.S. taxpayers. The countries of the EU have more people, better technology, and a hell of a lot more money than Russia. They don't need the U.S. to defend themselves, they're just freeloading because U.S. policymakers let them.

As with most empires, the benefits go to the patricians, not the plebes.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:29 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:24 pm
And if those problems are so dire, maybe our allies could step up and start paying for their own defence rather than hand that bill over to U.S. taxpayers. The countries of the EU have more people, better technology, and a hell of a lot more money than Russia. They don't need the U.S. to defend themselves, they're just freeloading because U.S. policymakers let them.
That was precisely what Trump said before he softened his stance. It provoked much criticism both in Europe and the US. It would be better if the Europeans shoulder the burden of their own defense so that the US can concentrate its resources in Asia where a rising hegemon, China, is starting to make trouble for its neighbors.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:29 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:24 pm
That was precisely what Trump said before he softened his stance.
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.
It provoked much criticism both in Europe and the US.
Yes, because it threatens the objectives of the military-industrial complex. No wonder Trump quickly dropped the subject.
It would be better if the Europeans shoulder the burden of their own defense so that the US can concentrate its resources in Asia where a rising hegemon, China, is starting to make trouble for its neighbors.
It would be better if the Europeans and Asians shoulder the burden of their own defence, so that the U.S. can concentrate its resources on actual Americans. The U.S. faces no practical threat of invasion, its military budget could be cut by 90% without that changing, and American taxpayers don't owe other countries a thing.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:25 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 am
cassowary wrote:

Yes, because it threatens the objectives of the military-industrial complex. No wonder Trump quickly dropped the subject.
[/quote]

That's baloney. Trump's loudest critics came from the Democratic side of the aisle. They are not known as biggest supporters of the military spending. The thing is that most Americans have long accepted the role of the US as the world policeman. So have the Europeans and East Asians. Americans in general believe their country is there to make this a better world.

American isolationism died in WWII.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:29 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:25 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 am
cassowary wrote:

That's baloney. Trump's loudest critics came from the Democratic side of the aisle. They are not known as biggest supporters of the military spending.
The major parties are both corporatist, and different only for show. Sure, Trump could say the sky is blue and the Democrats would howl about it for public consumption. But ultimately, especially in military matters, the Democrats and Republicans are two wings of the same vulture.
The thing is that most Americans have long accepted the role of the US as the world policeman. So have the Europeans and East Asians. Americans in general believe their country is there to make this a better world. American isolationism died in WWII.
That random collection of assertions might be more persuasive if it didn't come from someone who, as a foreign taxpayer, saves a lot of money if they're true.