Why America can’t win wars

High Culture, Religion, Philosophy and Esoterica.
neverfail

Why America can’t win wars

Post by neverfail » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:44 am

For the same reason why France failed to defend itself back in 1940.

...western militaries and governments are stuck in the past

http://www.atimes.com/article/why-ameri ... -win-wars/

In 1940 French forces were overpowered by the invading Germans because French military doctrine was tailored to re-fighting the First World War. Likewise the US has not moved on from the glory year 1945.

The Vietnam war; the 2003 invasion of Iraq and every war fought and lost by by US forces since 1945 illustrate the fact that the US, spiritually, still wants only to re-fight the Second World War.

Doc

Re: Why America can’t win wars

Post by Doc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:00 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:44 am
For the same reason why France failed to defend itself back in 1940.

...western militaries and governments are stuck in the past

http://www.atimes.com/article/why-ameri ... -win-wars/

In 1940 French forces were overpowered by the invading Germans because French military doctrine was tailored to re-fighting the First World War. Likewise the US has not moved on from the glory year 1945.

The Vietnam war; the 2003 invasion of Iraq and every war fought and lost by by US forces since 1945 illustrate the fact that the US, spiritually, still wants only to re-fight the Second World War.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/01/middleea ... index.html
ISIS has been reduced to 1.5 square miles in Syria. This is its final stand.

By Ben Wedeman, Waffa Munayyer and Gabriel Chaim

Updated 5:37 AM ET, Fri February 1, 2019
ISIS makes its final stand in Syria
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:33 am

But the examples are not "wars", as they were not declared FWIW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declarati ... since_1945

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:02 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:00 am

Well, bear in mind that Kurdish forces, along with other players in the Syria civil war did a lot of the heavy lifting doc.

Winners emerging in that conflict are currently the Assad regime; the Russians and the Iranians.

Outcome = a net setback for US foreign policy in the region (however much Donald trump wants to bluff and bluster to the contrary.)

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:32 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:02 pm
Doc wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:00 am

Well, bear in mind that Kurdish forces, along with other players in the Syria civil war did a lot of the heavy lifting doc.

Winners emerging in that conflict are currently the Assad regime; the Russians and the Iranians.

Outcome = a net setback for US foreign policy in the region (however much Donald trump wants to bluff and bluster to the contrary.)
The US is supporting the Kurds. ISIS is the last vestige of Saddam's resistance.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:32 pm
The US is supporting the Kurds.
But the Kurds are doing the actual fighting.
Doc wrote:
ISIS is the last vestige of Saddam's resistance.
ISIS came about in the absence of Saddam Hussein.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:30 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm
Doc wrote:
The US is supporting the Kurds.
But the Kurds are doing the actual fighting.
And that is bad because?
Doc wrote:
ISIS is the last vestige of Saddam's resistance.
ISIS came about in the absence of Saddam Hussein.
ISIS is made up of former Saddam supporters. Dead enders that feel they have nothing to lose.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:19 pm

I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:46 pm

Doc wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:30 pm

ISIS is made up of former Saddam supporters.
To clarify:

In Iraq where Sunni muslims make up around 30% of the population most of them I believe supported Saddam Hussein: because he was one of their own and their protector against the vengeance of the 60% who are Shia.

The bungling, idiotic 2003 US led invasion prosecuted by George Bush and cronies with their silly ideas of transplanting "democracy" to Iraq overturned the traditional Sunni dominance and delivered power into the hands of the Shia majority - making the Sunni vulnerable to Shia retribution over a long list of historical grievances.

Democracy can never thrive in any society where there is such widespread hatred. Why were not Bush and other members of that administration aware of that before setting out on their ill advised Iraq debacle?

Hussein's Baath Party regime was a secular tyranny committed to keeping the Koran and the Imans out of politics. Whilst Saddam Hussein was in power there was no evidence of Sunni Iraqi leanings towards militant Islamic radicalism. It is only since their protector of old was removed that the likes of Al Qaeda and ISIS has gained any real support.

When all secular options of self-defence are stripped away what recourse do you have other than to turn to God?

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:25 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:46 pm
Doc wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:30 pm

ISIS is made up of former Saddam supporters.
To clarify:

In Iraq where Sunni muslims make up around 30% of the population most of them I believe supported Saddam Hussein: because he was one of their own and their protector against the vengeance of the 60% who are Shia.

The bungling, idiotic 2003 US led invasion prosecuted by George Bush and cronies with their silly ideas of transplanting "democracy" to Iraq overturned the traditional Sunni dominance and delivered power into the hands of the Shia majority - making the Sunni vulnerable to Shia retribution over a long list of historical grievances.

Democracy can never thrive in any society where there is such widespread hatred. Why were not Bush and other members of that administration aware of that before setting out on their ill advised Iraq debacle?

Hussein's Baath Party regime was a secular tyranny committed to keeping the Koran and the Imans out of politics. Whilst Saddam Hussein was in power there was no evidence of Sunni Iraqi leanings towards militant Islamic radicalism. It is only since their protector of old was removed that the likes of Al Qaeda and ISIS has gained any real support.

When all secular options of self-defence are stripped away what recourse do you have other than to turn to God?
After the first gulf war Saddam started introducing Islam into his army. Previous to that it was largely secular.