Endangered critters

High Culture, Religion, Philosophy and Esoterica.
Jim the Moron

Re: Endangered critters

Post by Jim the Moron » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:56 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:15 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:32 am
Wildfires in Australia

https://channelnewsasia.com/news/world/ ... s-12216946

Terrible fires in NSW and elsewhere. The world watches - and similar fires do damage worldwide. Huge human costs - lives and property.

And wildlife suffers . . . In Australia mobile critters like 'roos and wallabies probably can escape the flames. But there must be many less mobile marsupials, some endangered, that will perish.

For me, the photo of the year (in linked article) is the kind Aussie biker giving water to the thirsty koala.
Absolutely right Jim. Koalas in particular are slow moving and tree dwelling. Whenever a blaze comes through they cannot escape by walking across the ground.

Their habitat is restricted to this country's eastern maritime rim: the rainiest part and as a consequence the part with over 90% of the continent's forest cover. That is the part that is currently ablaze with bushfires.

Several years ago I had a short holiday break with family and friends at a coastal town called Port Macquarie about 350 kilometers up the coast. I was amazed at the number of roadside signs I saw up there, even within the town's suburbs, warning motorists to be on the lookout as koalas cross the road at night. A few weeks ago the forested region around Port Macquarie was hard hit by fire and it is feared that many of the local koalas have been lost. There is an active veterinary hospital in the town now struggling to heal and rehabilitate the number of burnt koalas that have been brought in to them for treatment.
More terrible news . . . with no end in sight.

"Half a billion animals have been killed"
https://inews.co.uk/news/world/australi ... st-1353991

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:28 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:56 pm

More terrible news . . . with no end in sight.

"Half a billion animals have been killed"
https://inews.co.uk/news/world/australi ... st-1353991
Yep, that is how it is Jim. Once our bush catches in hot dry weather it can be like a volcanic eruption or a major earthquake - a force of nature so powerful that humans are left incapable of stopping it.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:16 pm

An aside on the fires:

Our Prime Minister flew home in disgrace from ill timed family holiday in Hawaii after much public complaint and criticism at home forced him to cut his vacation short.

To reassure bushfire victims that he had not forgotten them he very recently went on a tour of the worst affected areas. Just yesterday at Cobargo on the south coast of NSW, a small town burned out by the inferno, he met a rather hostile reception from the town's residents.

One irate townsman accused him to his face of being "an idiot" (in front of the TV news cameras).

When was the last time you heard of a US president being personally called an idiot by an anonymous member of the public?

Democracy is surely thriving in the land where you can call the highest elected public official in the land "an idiot" to his face without fear of some sort of retribution.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:42 am

"Stud tortoise Diego goes home"
https://jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Diego- ... ies-614015

A few here may recall a brief discussion of Diego on an earlier version of this forum. Well, he's off to greener pastures. Hope he hasn't forgotten Spanish. But remember, Diego, if you don't use it, you'll lose it (though I guess I shouldn't have to tell him that - over 2,000 offspring) . . .