John Vervaeke's lecture series

High Culture, Religion, Philosophy and Esoterica.
dagbay

John Vervaeke's lecture series

Post by dagbay » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:40 pm

One of you recommended the long series of lectures by John Vervaeke entitled Awakening from the meaning crisis. Just wanted to thank you for an interesting though very long series.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

lzzrdgrrl

Re: John Vervaeke's lecture series

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:41 am

Glad to do it. Vervaeke introduces an entirely new lexicon and dialectical approach to a dialogue that's become moribund and largely irrelevant. I'm stuck on his position on 'physicalism', which seems to me a conditional dualism - the self is integrated with the body and needs the body to manifest itself. Which I agree with, but I don't see where physicalism can integrate with metaphysics and still stay true to definition, but we haven't seen his physicalist explanation of metaphysics yet.....'>......

John's willingness to engage other disciplines and viewpoints works to everyone's advantage and lets you know that this lecture series is a work in progress, and you're privileged to participate it. Just like Plato, I may have to make this man sacred and continually review earlier lectures for fresh new insights.......

I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:31 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:41 am
Glad to do it. Vervaeke introduces an entirely new lexicon and dialectical approach to a dialogue that's become moribund and largely irrelevant. I'm stuck on his position on 'physicalism', which seems to me a conditional dualism - the self is integrated with the body and needs the body to manifest itself. Which I agree with, but I don't see where physicalism can integrate with metaphysics and still stay true to definition, but we haven't seen his physicalist explanation of metaphysics yet.....'>......

John's willingness to engage other disciplines and viewpoints works to everyone's advantage and lets you know that this lecture series is a work in progress, and you're privileged to participate it. Just like Plato, I may have to make this man sacred and continually review earlier lectures for fresh new insights.......

Well thank you again lzzrdgrrl, John is definitely interesting but I'm not yet far enough in the series to follow your discussion (lecture 18 with the first 13 repeated for clarity).
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:54 pm

I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........