Neverfail's North American ruminations.

Discussion of current events
Doc

Re: Neverfail's North American ruminations.

Post by Doc » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:10 pm

Neverfail I have been meaning to ask you -- What was your favorite part of your trip?
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:20 pm

Doc wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:10 pm
Neverfail I have been meaning to ask you -- What was your favorite part of your trip?
Oh, thank you doc.

I am glad to say that all parts were brilliant. But what stands out in my mind especially is the US state of California.

Even if you ignore the not inconsiderable human embellishment and focus your attention solely on the state's natural endowment, California is still a special kind of place. It has species of flora; sequoias, coastal redwoods, California oaks, Monterey cypress which combine to give California a "look" that is unique to the region. With a multitude of local and regional micro-climates brought about by the combined effects of declining rainfall (and rising temperatures) from north to south and differences in elevation (along with close proximity or distance from the adjacent Pacific Ocean) you probably get a greater diversity of habitat there than in any comparable land area elsewhere on Earth.

Then there is the local heritage. In terms of recorded history California is only about as old as Australia (i.e. colonisation of both began only in the late 18th century - all else that came before is prehistory). But whereas my country only experienced one colonising power California had two of them. California was Hispanic (imperial Spanish and then later Mexican) before it became Anglo-American about the middle of the 19th century. It shows up especially in two ways. The map of California is liberally peppered with Spanish names. Then there is the architectural legacy - not only in the form of restored Spanish colonial missions and praesidia but, to their everlasting credit generations of Anglo Americans have not destroyed that but conserved it and actually taken in on as the basis for their own distinct regional architectural style.

Blending this with (basicly Nordic-Teutonic forms that seem endemic in the US northeast) California has developed a diverse but distinctive style of its own that I and all members of my touring part found appealing. My son has visited California separately from me and we both agree that California has a better heritage of architectural styles than we do out here.

California (as I have pointed out above) experienced two dissimilar periods of Western colonisation whereas out here we had only one. You know doc, there are times that I even get the fleeting impression that we in Australia are (spiritually and culturally) the poorer because of that.
....................................................................................................

Perhaps I should abstain from diving off the deep end and adding more but I cannot help myself. Historically, ever since the USA first acquired its Pacific coastline in the mid-18th century California has interacted with Australia (generally in a positive way) . Most Americans are unaware that it was the California gold rush of the late 1840's that triggered off our south east Australian gold rush from 1851 onward. The California rush changed both California and American history and our rush (which lasted longer than the California one) likewise changed the course of our history.

It did nothing less than propel us with surprising swiftness on towards nationhood.

Economically and in other ways Australia's ties with California are still probably stronger than with any other part of the US. The direct air routes linking us with the US lead to LA and San Francisco international airports just as the sea routes from our east coast in the 19th and early 20th centuries led to san Francisco Bay and Long Beach harbour.

I have said my piece for now. I hope that you enjoyed reading it?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:49 am

Hispanics in California are almost 40% of the total population, and their birth rate is higher than that of the non-Hispanic white population. Maybe in the future, hispanic architecture will not be the only hispanic thing dominating California...

SteveFoerster

Re: Sir John Swan interview

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:46 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:35 pm
:idea: Steve, why have you made a point of honour about convincing me? Is this a matter of self-identity? Are you Afro-Caribbean yourself?
Honestly? Because I have come to value this community, including your contributions, and was hurt that you would needlessly say such dreadful things about my home. (Adopted home, to answer your question, but home nonetheless.)
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Re: Sir John Swan interview

Post by neverfail » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:26 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:46 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:35 pm
:idea: Steve, why have you made a point of honour about convincing me? Is this a matter of self-identity? Are you Afro-Caribbean yourself?
Honestly? Because I have come to value this community, including your contributions, and was hurt that you would needlessly say such dreadful things about my home. (Adopted home, to answer your question, but home nonetheless.)
I regret if I have inadvertently caused you grief, Steve.

Bear in mind that the Caribbean region is one about which virtually no news ever makes it into the Australian media. For the same reason that places like Timor Leste, Papua-Nuigini, Vanuatu or Fiji rarely if ever make it into the US news media but get a lot more coverage in ours. These latter are, after all, our close neighbours so the public interest out here is greater.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:49 am
Hispanics in California are almost 40% of the total population, and their birth rate is higher than that of the non-Hispanic white population. Maybe in the future, hispanic architecture will not be the only hispanic thing dominating California...
They already rule in Greater Los Angeles where they constitute the majority population. I believe the LA whites have abandoned the city to the Hispanics and blacks and moved out to suburbs in adjacent Orange County - outside the city limits.