Neverfail's North American ruminations.

Discussion of current events
SteveFoerster

Re: Neverfail's North American ruminations.

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:26 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:45 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:21 am

I'm pretty sure even you all are not more laid back than many parts of the English-speaking Caribbean. 8-)
Probably not Steve. Though unlike these we are not part of the Third World. My comparison was within the context of the developed world.
The reason international development types haven't used that terminology ("Third World") for decades is that it's very misleading to lump together countries that are upper middle income with those that are low income, just because they were both unaligned during the Cold War than ended over a quarter of a century ago.

And for all that, some parts of the West Indies are actually upper income. Bermuda and the Caymans are wealthier than, say, Australia.

I think what we're really debating here is whether the Commonwealth countries of the West Indies are part of the Anglosphere. As you can see, I'm a steadfast proponent of the position that we are.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:02 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:26 am

And for all that, some parts of the West Indies are actually upper income. Bermuda and the Caymans are wealthier than, say, Australia.

On paper?

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:13 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:02 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:

On paper?
Nope. Bermuda is like if you put Beverly Hills on a rock in the middle of the ocean. Bermudians are so well off that they have to import people from elsewhere to do mundane jobs. And I'm not sure about now, but at least at one point the Caymans were a top five jurisdiction in the world for mutual funds.

Interestingly, neither has significant natural resources, nor are they subsidised by the UK. They got where they are the same way Hong Kong and Singapore did, by making wise policy decisions.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:26 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:13 am
neverfail wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:

On paper?
Nope. Bermuda is like if you put Beverly Hills on a rock in the middle of the ocean. Bermudians are so well off that they have to import people from elsewhere to do mundane jobs. And I'm not sure about now, but at least at one point the Caymans were a top five jurisdiction in the world for mutual funds.

Interestingly, neither has significant natural resources, nor are they subsidised by the UK. They got where they are the same way Hong Kong and Singapore did, by making wise policy decisions.
Yes, I believe that the biggest industry of both is numbered, anonymous bank accounts to permit 1, organised crime worldwide launder their ill gotten gains 2. corrupt government officials in the many poor countries stash their loot and 3. wealthy corporations and individuals even in rich, developed countries evade having to pay their fair share of taxes. In my books that does not constitute "wise policy decisions" but unethically taking unfair advantage of others weaknesses - a form of exploitation.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:43 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:26 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
neverfail wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:

On paper?

Yes, I believe that the biggest industry of both is numbered, anonymous bank accounts to permit 1, organised crime worldwide launder their ill gotten gains 2. corrupt government officials in the many poor countries stash their loot and 3. wealthy corporations and individuals even in rich, developed countries evade having to pay their fair share of taxes. In my books that does not constitute "wise policy decisions" but unethically taking unfair advantage of others weaknesses - a form of exploitation.
Bermuda's big financial industry is reinsurance. The Caymans' is mutual funds. And if you think numbered anonymous bank accounts still exist, there or anywhere else, then you watch too many spy movies.

Why is so hard for you to believe that there are West Indian countries that can compete successfully on the international stage?

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:44 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Bermuda's big financial industry is reinsurance. The Caymans' is mutual funds. And if you think numbered anonymous bank accounts still exist, there or anywhere else, then you watch too many spy movies.

Why is so hard for you to believe that there are West Indian countries that can compete successfully on the international stage?
Frankly, I could not care less as these small, normally obscure, places are on the other side of the world and well away from our normal sphere of influence (and focus of attention). If they (as you allege) have managed to do it honourably then may good fortune attend them always.

In any case given the dedicated title of this discussion, all of this is way off topic.

(P.S. Isn't Bermuda located in mid-Atlantic? Well then, it cannot be defined as a West Indies Island country now can it?)

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:53 pm

I posted the following in the What's happening in Canada this morning in reply to Milo. Just realised that these reflections on the current state of two western provinces I should have posted as ruminations here instead:

(Copy and paste)

Alberta: allegedly (I believe) Canada's richest province Calgary, the regional business centre, to my eyes looked prosperous and vibrant. But I was told that with the drop in the world oil price and the winding back of tar sands oil production the provincial government has suffered shortfalls in oil royalty payments. So far Alberta has been the only province in Canada to have dodged having to impose a regional consumption tax but the downturn in the oil business has forced the regional government to plan to introduce one for the first time later this year in the light of budget deficits. The picture I get for Alberta is one of mild but prolonged regional recession similar to the one that has affected our minerals state of Western Australia since the end of the mining investment boom.

British Columbia: Like Alberta it looks and feels prosperous. We spent quite a bit of time on Vancouver Island with friends. Whilst Vancouver (city) is the business and industrial centre of the province the state capital of Victoria is located (incongruously) at the southern tip of Vancouver Island. Vancouver seems to be thriving as a port city on the back of the exportation of natural resources such as timber, potash (from Sascachuan) and sulphur to markets in east Asia. However, the city has a real growth problem. It is boxed in from the north by high mountains and to the south by the US - Canada frontier. Indeed, the southern suburbs stop abruptly at the border and even driving within the suburban sprawl to see roadside signs pointed towards the US frontier posts. Add to that the ingredient of years of investment by Chinese (mainly from Hong Kong) in high end real estate and you have a pressure-cooker metropolis where the cost of accommodation for residents has become well nigh impossible. So there has been a boom in younger generation Vancouverites moving to Victoria and (more broadly) into southern Vancouver Island - resulting in a real estate boom there. These also being entrepreneurial talents and professional/ technical skills to the island resulting in a more broadly based regional growth. My impression of B.C. = I cannot speak of the entire provence but there is decidedly some impressive growth in its populous southwestern corner.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:20 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:43 pm
neverfail wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:26 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
neverfail wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:

On paper?

Other West Indian entities (I'm thinking St. Barts, Br. Virgin Islands, etc.) are evidence that it isn't necessary to be led by white folks to succeed. That runs counter to certain preconceptions out there. And, I'll take it upon myself to notify standard sources that Bermuda is not, as they state, a part of the British West Indies.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:08 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:20 pm

Other West Indian entities (I'm thinking St. Barts, Br. Virgin Islands, etc.) are evidence that it isn't necessary to be led by white folks to succeed. That runs counter to certain preconceptions out there.
Like whose?

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:42 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:44 pm
Isn't Bermuda located in mid-Atlantic? Well then, it cannot be defined as a West Indies Island country now can it?
You're confusing the West Indies for the Caribbean. They're not defined the same. In fact even the Bahamas are not in the Caribbean.