Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: The Future of the World

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:16 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:23 am
Sertorio wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:30 pm
I wish people would stop seeing Russia as a threat. Russia is much less of a threat than a trigger happy US. But one shouldn't threaten Russia by keeping building NATO bases around Russia, or by trying to subvert Russian interests in its near abroad. The attempt at having the Ukraine expelling Russia from its bases in Crimea was a particularly ill advised idea, which led to the reunification of Crimea with Russia, and eventually the reunification of eastern Ukraine with Russia. Attacking Russia on its own backyard can only lead to defeat for the West. If the West stops attempting to weaken Russia, it will see that Russia can be a very friendly neighbour. Otherwise it can be a very dangerous enemy. That's up to the West to decide what type of relations it wants to have with Russia, not to Russia...
Perhaps if Russia had respected the independence of its neighbours rather than considering its "near abroad" (as you and the Kremlin put it) to be beholden fiefdoms, its other neighbours wouldn't have reason to consider it a threat. But over and over again Russia has shown it doesn't respect its neighbours. If I were prime minister of a European country I would follow the lead of Poland and Estonia in maintaining sufficient military force to deter Russian adventurism.

Russia is the same as it's always been: authoritarian, undemocratic, and aggressive. The only reason it's not as meddlesome as the U.S. is that it's too poor to be. It's a wholly unsuitable partner for a liberal democratic Europe. I wish that weren't true, but it is.
Steve,
I respect your opinion but I think you are wrong. Rather than Russia not respecting its neighbours, it were some of those neighbours which, encouraged by the US and the EU, did not respect Russia, and hoped to weaken it. Such tactics backfired and Russia is now stronger and more capable of defending itself than it ever was after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Russia may be more authoritarian and less democratic than most Western European countries, but certainly not more aggressive.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:49 am

Rubbish, Sertorio. Russia is aggresive and a threat to its neighbours who desire US protection.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:40 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:17 am
Doc wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:06 pm

The Chinese model, as it currently exists, is unsustainable long term .
Strange! I sometimes get the impression that it is the the US model that is is unsustainable in the long run. :(
The life on Earth is unsustainable in the long run. But hope abounds.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:40 pm
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

Strange! I sometimes get the impression that it is the the US model that is is unsustainable in the long run. :(
:lol: You got me there, buddy!

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:44 pm

Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

Fortunately we have about a billion years before solar output changes enough to give us insurmountable trouble on that front!
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:49 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:44 pm
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

Fortunately we have about a billion years before solar output changes enough to give us insurmountable trouble on that front!
Then we had better start thinking about moving !! :D
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:49 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:43 pm
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:

:lol: You got me there, buddy!
:D