The Future of the World

Discussion of current events
neverfail
Posts: 2591
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: The Future of the World

Post by neverfail » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:11 pm

I will just say this: American power might have passed its "used by date" (I hope not, but America's overall performance since the end of the Cold war lends me no confidence): however, I do not foresee Europe as being the power that emerges to fill the vacuum.

Far more likely it will be the Peoples Republic of China.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2391
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The Future of the World

Post by cassowary » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:36 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:11 pm
I will just say this: American power might have passed its "used by date" (I hope not, but America's overall performance since the end of the Cold war lends me no confidence): however, I do not foresee Europe as being the power that emerges to fill the vacuum.

Far more likely it will be the Peoples Republic of China.
That will be bad for the world.

neverfail
Posts: 2591
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: The Future of the World

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:01 am

cassowary wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:36 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:11 pm
I will just say this: American power might have passed its "used by date" (I hope not, but America's overall performance since the end of the Cold war lends me no confidence): however, I do not foresee Europe as being the power that emerges to fill the vacuum.

Far more likely it will be the Peoples Republic of China.
That will be bad for the world.
That may even prove to be true. But when the superpower you are used to goes crazy, what other conclusion can you draw?

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2391
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: The Future of the World

Post by cassowary » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:50 am

The US has not gone crazy. It is time to adjust to changed circumstances. The Europeans have the resources to defend themselves against a diminished Russia.

European and Japanese economies have long recovered from the destruction of the war.

The main threat to the future of democracy comes from China.

neverfail
Posts: 2591
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: The Future of the World

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:40 pm

cassowary wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:50 am
The US has not gone crazy. It is time to adjust to changed circumstances. The Europeans have the resources to defend themselves against a diminished Russia.
Not against Russia's thermonuclear arsonal.
cassowary wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:50 am
European and Japanese economies have long recovered from the destruction of the war.
Only the economic infrastructure, Cass. In other ways the continent has never recovered from the ordeal and in some ways probably never will.
cassowary wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:50 am
The main threat to the future of democracy comes from China.
I disagree! The main threat, as always, comes from within - principally from society at large losing trust and confidence in their institutions.

Mr. Perfect
Posts: 643
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:24 pm

Re: The Future of the World

Post by Mr. Perfect » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 pm

The US is the only game in town for at least 100 years.

neverfail
Posts: 2591
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: The Future of the World

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:59 pm

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 pm
The US is the only game in town for at least 100 years.
Don't wager your fortune on that!

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: The Future of the World

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:39 am

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 pm
The US is the only game in town for at least 100 years.
American exceptionalism is just another form of insanity...

Mr. Perfect
Posts: 643
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:24 pm

Re: The Future of the World

Post by Mr. Perfect » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:46 am

China has no natural allies in the world. Culturally or politically. China will have ups and downs but will never become the world leader because it has no moral vision, and nobody admires it. It doesn't have any ideology or culture that the world is hungry for.

It's just a place to make stuff for cheap.

And it has large buildings and ghost cities.

So whatever.

America on the other hand, the whole world is obsessed with America. Because we are the best.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: The Future of the World

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:15 am

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:46 am
China has no natural allies in the world. Culturally or politically. China will have ups and downs but will never become the world leader because it has no moral vision, and nobody admires it. It doesn't have any ideology or culture that the world is hungry for.

It's just a place to make stuff for cheap.

And it has large buildings and ghost cities.

So whatever.

America on the other hand, the whole world is obsessed with America. Because we are the best.
Good grief!... As I said above, American exceptionalism is just another form of insanity...

Post Reply