G7 palaver

Discussion of current events
User avatar
Doc
Posts: 2113
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: G7 palaver

Post by Doc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:45 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:05 pm
Doc wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:02 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:56 am
Doc wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am
Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:37 am
Doc wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:41 pm

BTW I wouldn't have guessed that you like Angela Merkel so much.
I don't, but contrarily to many other politicians, Merkel is capable of learning...
Capable of learning what exactly? How to enslave the people of Europe?
Learning about the need for Europe to get rid of the US and of the Atlantic alliance...
And bring in more people from the Middle East ?
We will soon learn to deal with that, as Italy, Austria and Hungary are showing...
Germany will never deal with it as long as Merkel is in charge.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... osses-told
Populist talkshows fuel rise of far right, German TV bosses told

Political shows’ negative focus on Islam erodes social cohesion, says cultural council

Kate Connolly in Berlin

Wed 13 Jun 2018 00.00 EDT
Last modified on Wed 13 Jun 2018 13.27 EDT

AfD supporters in Berlin protest in May 2018.
AfD supporters in Berlin protest in May 2018. Olaf Zimmermann says public broadcasters are obsessed with refugee-related issues. Photograph: Michael Sohn/AP

The head of Germany’s most powerful cultural body has called for the plug to be pulled on the nation’s multitude of political talkshows for a year, arguing that their populist agenda has helped fuel the rise of the far right.

Olaf Zimmermann, who heads the German cultural council, an umbrella group for organisations from art galleries to television companies, said public broadcasters needed to step back and rethink a format that has helped cement gloom-ridden public attitudes towards refugees and Islam, and propelled the Alternative für Deutschland party into parliament at last September’s election.
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2386
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: G7 palaver

Post by cassowary » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:17 am
cassowary wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 am

That is because Portugal needs German money.
Cass,

You ignorance is always coming to the fore... Portugal gets no money whatsoever from Germany...
Not directly, yes. But indirectly? it is Germany that controls the purse strings of Europe. See this article:

Time for Germany to loosen the purse strings for Europe.

While the article is talking about Greek debt, it can also apply to other heavily indebted European nations, which for some reason are all in the South.

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: G7 palaver

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:53 pm

That G7 photo is getting a lot of attention, which is why I thought this was interesting:

Image
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1445
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: G7 palaver

Post by Milo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:53 pm
That G7 photo is getting a lot of attention, which is why I thought this was interesting:

Image
"But of all the ways the internet has gotten exponentially worse in every possible direction, one extremely stupid trend has really caught fire in the past year, even among seemingly reasonable people. It's finding DEEP, VIRAL MEANING in a single photo of a public figure's facial expression or body language."

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-petty-m ... p-sharing/

Jim the Moron
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: G7 palaver

Post by Jim the Moron » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:28 am

Please find deep viral meaning in this -

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/ ... age%29.jpg

Just another G7 op . . .

neverfail
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: G7 palaver

Post by neverfail » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:22 pm

cassowary wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:50 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:17 am
cassowary wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 am

That is because Portugal needs German money.
Cass,

You ignorance is always coming to the fore... Portugal gets no money whatsoever from Germany...
Not directly, yes. But indirectly? it is Germany that controls the purse strings of Europe. See this article:

Time for Germany to loosen the purse strings for Europe.

While the article is talking about Greek debt, it can also apply to other heavily indebted European nations, which for some reason are all in the South.
Get rid of the Euro. Simple as that!

Let the component countries of the EU regress back to their old currencies with floating exchange rates to permit adjustments in exchange rates to reflect the varying strengths of Europe's component national economies. There is no justification for a common European currency which only creates unsustainable imbalances due to the simple (I would think, obvious) fact that the performance of of the different national economies is, always has been and probably always will be, very unequal.

The Euro was in any case concocted in the late 1990's as a political currency jointly by the German Chancellor Helmut Kohl and French President François Mitterrand: both of whom combined a near obsession with furthering European unity with an utter cluelessness as to how economics actually works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Kohl

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2386
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: G7 palaver

Post by cassowary » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:41 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:22 pm
cassowary wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:50 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:17 am
cassowary wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 am

That is because Portugal needs German money.
Cass,

You ignorance is always coming to the fore... Portugal gets no money whatsoever from Germany...
Not directly, yes. But indirectly? it is Germany that controls the purse strings of Europe. See this article:

Time for Germany to loosen the purse strings for Europe.

While the article is talking about Greek debt, it can also apply to other heavily indebted European nations, which for some reason are all in the South.
Get rid of the Euro. Simple as that!

Let the component countries of the EU regress back to their old currencies with floating exchange rates to permit adjustments in exchange rates to reflect the varying strengths of Europe's component national economies. There is no justification for a common European currency which only creates unsustainable imbalances due to the simple (I would think, obvious) fact that the performance of of the different national economies is, always has been and probably always will be, very unequal.

The Euro was in any case concocted in the late 1990's as a political currency jointly by the German Chancellor Helmut Kohl and French President François Mitterrand: both of whom combined a near obsession with furthering European unity with an utter cluelessness as to how economics actually works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Kohl
Absolutely right, Neverfail. Throw the bums out of the Euro club. The club is for rich Europeans and not the hoi polloi.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 1842
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: G7 palaver

Post by Sertorio » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:07 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:22 pm

Let the component countries of the EU regress back to their old currencies with floating exchange rates to permit adjustments in exchange rates to reflect the varying strengths of Europe's component national economies. There is no justification for a common European currency which only creates unsustainable imbalances due to the simple (I would think, obvious) fact that the performance of of the different national economies is, always has been and probably always will be, very unequal.
Even with economies with different levels of development, a common currency can be kept without problems if all member states have balanced trade. Without a trade deficit any European country may stay in the euro zone. Even relatively poorer countries like Portugal, Spain or Greece.

And if anyone thinks that balanced trade is not possible without a national currency, let me tell you that all you need is investment directed at making the economy more competitive. Competitiveness based on floating currencies is always a very short term solution, which is the same to say that it is no solution at all.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 2386
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: G7 palaver

Post by cassowary » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:07 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:22 pm

Let the component countries of the EU regress back to their old currencies with floating exchange rates to permit adjustments in exchange rates to reflect the varying strengths of Europe's component national economies. There is no justification for a common European currency which only creates unsustainable imbalances due to the simple (I would think, obvious) fact that the performance of of the different national economies is, always has been and probably always will be, very unequal.
Even with economies with different levels of development, a common currency can be kept without problems if all member states have balanced trade. Without a trade deficit any European country may stay in the euro zone. Even relatively poorer countries like Portugal, Spain or Greece.

And if anyone thinks that balanced trade is not possible without a national currency, let me tell you that all you need is investment directed at making the economy more competitive.
You talk as if you can command the "waves" as King Cnut demonstrated he could not. Investments are like the waves. You cannot wave a magic wand and expect businessmen to invest. They only invest if they think they can make a profit. This depends on many things - taxation (the lower the better), regulation (the less the better), the attitude of workers (the more diligent the better), the skills of the workers, availability of raw materials etc.

Some things are beyond anyone's control such as availability of raw materials. But other things are within the country's control - taxation, regulation and work attitudes. Needless to say, the left typically sets policies that deter investments because they like to raise taxes, increase regulations and install elaborate welfare states that make people lazy.

Mr. Perfect
Posts: 643
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:24 pm

Re: G7 palaver

Post by Mr. Perfect » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:11 pm

Milo wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:53 pm
That G7 photo is getting a lot of attention, which is why I thought this was interesting:

Image
"But of all the ways the internet has gotten exponentially worse in every possible direction, one extremely stupid trend has really caught fire in the past year, even among seemingly reasonable people. It's finding DEEP, VIRAL MEANING in a single photo of a public figure's facial expression or body language."

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-petty-m ... p-sharing/
Lol boy are you right about that.

Post Reply