Doc wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:16 am
Sertorio wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:57 am
Doc wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:06 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:25 am
As relevant as Maduro's victory - at a time of deep crisis - is the opposition's incapacity to attract the vote of those who are discontent. There were two opposition candidates, so Venezuelans wanting to show their discontent could have voted for them. Which they didn't. Abstaining - even 55% abstention - is a useless form of protest. In many countries today, abstention levels of around 50% are not all that unusual. Maduro kept his legitimacy to rule Venezuela. His problem will be finding an alternative to the markets dominated by the US. If he can find enough buyers for his oil willing to pay in euros or yuan, he will solve his economic problems.
Maduro arrested or dis-qualified everyone that had a chance to beat him in the election. :roll:
If I were Venezuelan and disliked Maduro, I would have voted for the least bad of the opposition candidates, to try and take away electoral legitimacy from Maduro. The lack of better opposition candidates was totally irrelevant, if the purpose was to oust Maduro. But the fact is that most poor Venezuelans still prefer him to any of the US supported candidates. So he won. That's what democracy is all about...
You are defending a guy that arrested opposition candidates and saying it was the voters fault. C'mon Indo.
I'd say it's like he's never heard of voter intimidation, but it wouldn't matter. Any regime that's anti-American is the good guy to him, no matter how many of its own people they kill.
Since when does a second rate dictator intimidate 10 million voters? What could happen to them if they decided to vote for any of the three candidates? You have to find better arguments...
Again Saddam regularly got around 99% of the vote in his elections.
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell

Sertorio

Re: Maduro "wins" re-election in Venezuela

Post by Sertorio » Thu May 24, 2018 3:18 am

Doc wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:40 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:23 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:00 pm
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
Doc wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:06 pm

Maduro arrested or dis-qualified everyone that had a chance to beat him in the election. :roll:
If I were Venezuelan and disliked Maduro, I would have voted for the least bad of the opposition candidates, to try and take away electoral legitimacy from Maduro. The lack of better opposition candidates was totally irrelevant, if the purpose was to oust Maduro. But the fact is that most poor Venezuelans still prefer him to any of the US supported candidates. So he won. That's what democracy is all about...
You are defending a guy that arrested opposition candidates and saying it was the voters fault. C'mon Indo.
I'd say it's like he's never heard of voter intimidation, but it wouldn't matter. Any regime that's anti-American is the good guy to him, no matter how many of its own people they kill.
Since when does a second rate dictator intimidate 10 million voters? What could happen to them if they decided to vote for any of the three candidates? You have to find better arguments...
What has that to do with Venezuela?... :shock:

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:18 am
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:

Saddam was and Maduro is a dictator
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell

Doc

"Yes We Have No Electricians"

Post by Doc » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Nor Doctors Nor Teachers today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/th ... story.html

A historic exodus is leaving Venezuela without teachers, doctors and electricians

Gee I wonder why everyone is leaving?

Sertorio

Re: "Yes We Have No Electricians"

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:31 pm

Doc wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:20 pm

A historic exodus is leaving Venezuela without teachers, doctors and electricians

Apparently enough people were left to elect Maduro as President...

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:31 pm
Doc wrote:

His election was illegitimate. The two most popular opposition candidates were banned.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:43 pm

Doc wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 am
Sertorio wrote:
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Doc wrote:

Don't villify either of them for that doc. My theory is that when a country is ruled by a dictator, it usually deserves one.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:31 pm

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:43 pm
Doc wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 am
Sertorio wrote:
Doc wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:

Don't villify either of them for that doc. My theory is that when a country is ruled by a dictator, it usually deserves one.
I agree with Neverfail.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:08 am

cassowary wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:51 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:31 pm
Doc wrote:

His election was illegitimate. The two most popular opposition candidates were banned.
If the purpose was to kick Maduro out, any opposition candidate would serve, and there were two opposition candidates running. If Venezuelans failed to vote for them is because they thought those opposition candidates were even worse than Maduro...In other words, Maduro couldn't be all that bad... :twisted:

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:09 am

Well, let's say it was like an electoral choice between Atilla the Hun, Adolph Hitler and Pol Pot.