neverfail wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:46 pm
cassowary wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:29 pm
neverfail wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:35 pm
cassowary wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:37 pm
I think British Royalty makes.a.good.tourist.attraction. It.gives.free.publicity and.helps.to.fill.up.hotels, restaurants and shops.
When British royalty becomes no more useful that then it will be truly time for the country to become a republic.
But they contribute to the country's gdp by being a tourist attraction.
So do America's theme parks like Disneyland but these do not form part of government in the US.

If the monarchy is no more than a curiously for the tourists to gawk at then it is no more than a gimmicky con job.
Even at the height of its power it was still no more than a gimmicky con job, just with sharp teeth.
The state has to con people, for their own good! A constitutional monarch is the best way to do that.

Also the best way to promote cultural institutions.

neverfail

Re: Shotgun Wedding

Post by neverfail » Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 am

Milo wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:39 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 4:08 am
neverfail wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:46 pm
cassowary wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:29 pm
neverfail wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:35 pm
cassowary wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:37 pm
I think British Royalty makes.a.good.tourist.attraction. It.gives.free.publicity and.helps.to.fill.up.hotels, restaurants and shops.
When British royalty becomes no more useful that then it will be truly time for the country to become a republic.
But they contribute to the country's gdp by being a tourist attraction.
So do America's theme parks like Disneyland but these do not form part of government in the US.

If the monarchy is no more than a curiously for the tourists to gawk at then it is no more than a gimmicky con job.
Even at the height of its power it was still no more than a gimmicky con job, just with sharp teeth.
The state has to con people, for their own good! A constitutional monarch is the best way to do that.

Also the best way to promote cultural institutions.
I only agree that the challenge of governing a country must be like an elaborate form of crowd control. Scary! So much can go wrong that it does not always pay our governors to be truthful.

lzzrdgrrl

Re: Shotgun Wedding

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Wed May 23, 2018 9:36 am

Musical interlude.......

I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........