Shotgun Wedding

Discussion of current events
Jim the Moron

Shotgun Wedding

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat May 19, 2018 8:07 am

Word om the street has it that Prince Harry managed to knock up a comely innocent.

Doc

Re: Shotgun Wedding

Post by Doc » Sat May 19, 2018 8:25 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:07 am
Word om the street has it that Prince Harry managed to knock up a comely innocent.
I give it 5 years.
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat May 19, 2018 9:05 am

Doc wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:25 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
I give it 5 years.
Meghan is a lot smarter than Diana ever was, but I doubt she will put up very long with the Windsors... But I will love it if she meanwhile produces a darker blend of those Windsors... :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat May 19, 2018 9:58 am

Sertorio wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:05 am
Doc wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:25 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
I give it 5 years.
Meghan is a lot smarter than Diana ever was, but I doubt she will put up very long with the Windsors... But I will love it if she meanwhile produces a darker blend of those Windsors... :D
She is a beautiful woman But I doubt a clown car of male and female Billy Carters is going to turn out well at Windsor castle.
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun May 20, 2018 5:55 pm

A few thoughts:

The House of Windsor is still around because they learn from their mistakes. Prince Philip in particular was of an aristocratic background but had to work for a living because his royal family got thrown out of Greece, more than once. Early on he started calling the HoW "the firm" and brought in management and PR expertise.

However, the HoW did not reckon on a generation of aristocratic girls with the lack of restraint and work ethic of the aristocracy, coupled with a profound lack of respect and knowledge of the very system that allowed them to be so feckless in the first place.

Diana and Fergie wreaked havoc on the HoW but it learned, refocused and restructued.

Starting with Prince Edward, they steered the princes towards career women who were not aristocracts. Edward is still married and he is gay! Kate and William are 6 years into their marriage with no notable problems reported; at that point Charles and Diana were already known to have severe problems.

There are no guarantees with marriage but the HoW takes its survival very seriously!

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun May 20, 2018 6:57 pm

Quite so, Milo.

I have been traipsing around western Canada recently and got the distinct impression that in your country they take the HoW very seriously indeed. So much so that it the Brits decided one day that they no longer wanted to retain their monarchy the Royal family could likely take up residence in Canada and resume business as usual there.

Monarchy seems to play much the same role in Canada as the Declaration of Independence does in the USA. It defines why the country exists as a sovereign power.

I get the strange impression that whilst constitutional monarchy is a passion in Canada; with we Aussies it is not so much a passion as a (take it or leave it) preference. Our coach captain who had previously lived in Australia (now leading a coach full of fellow Aussies across the Canadian Rockies on conducted tour)perhaps mindful of the fact that in 1999 we had a referendum on the issue of monarchy or republic, gave us a real pep talk on why Canada is happy being a constitutional monarchy and has no desire to become a republic. "All we need to do is to look to our south at the republic there and that is all we need to convince us that we are better off remaining a constitutional monarchy". :D

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon May 21, 2018 1:38 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:57 pm
Quite so, Milo.

I have been traipsing around western Canada recently and got the distinct impression that in your country they take the HoW very seriously indeed. So much so that it the Brits decided one day that they no longer wanted to retain their monarchy the Royal family could likely take up residence in Canada and resume business as usual there.

Monarchy seems to play much the same role in Canada as the Declaration of Independence does in the USA. It defines why the country exists as a sovereign power.

I get the strange impression that whilst constitutional monarchy is a passion in Canada; with we Aussies it is not so much a passion as a (take it or leave it) preference. Our coach captain who had previously lived in Australia (now leading a coach full of fellow Aussies across the Canadian Rockies on conducted tour)perhaps mindful of the fact that in 1999 we had a referendum on the issue of monarchy or republic, gave us a real pep talk on why Canada is happy being a constitutional monarchy and has no desire to become a republic. "All we need to do is to look to our south at the republic there and that is all we need to convince us that we are better off remaining a constitutional monarchy". :D
Given that the BBC couldn't keep their cameras off the black mother of the bride during the wedding lets just say I am highly cynical of the whole thing, as it appears to be a propaganda stunt. Maybe the marriage will last. But I still highly doubt it.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 am

Doc wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:38 am
neverfail wrote:
Quite so, Milo.

Given that the BBC couldn't keep their cameras off the black mother of the bride during the wedding lets just say I am highly cynical of the whole thing, as it appears to be a propaganda stunt. Maybe the marriage will last. But I still highly doubt it.
I just hope that Megan is aware of what she is letting herself in for.

Being married into royalty is not the glamour job some romantics still believe it to be. Megan will need to sacrifice a lot in order to carry out her new and unfamiliar role as a royal princess. Most of all her freedom.

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon May 21, 2018 9:54 am

neverfail wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 am
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Quite so, Milo.

Being married into royalty is not the glamour job some romantics still believe it to be. Megan will need to sacrifice a lot in order to carry out her new and unfamiliar role as a royal princess. Most of all her freedom.
Agreed Neverfail but few jobs are better preparation than being a TV star, think Grace Kelly.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Mon May 21, 2018 10:48 am

Milo wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:54 am
neverfail wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 am
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Quite so, Milo.

Agreed Neverfail but few jobs are better preparation than being a TV star, think Grace Kelly.
I don't think Megan will last that long... Only those born into royalty ever get used to what is demanded from them... The others will end up finding a string of more or less secret lovers to help them survive the strain... Diana's disaster was her inability to keep those lovers secret, and having made her choices among the worst kind of people...