Malaysia's Democratic Spring

Discussion of current events
cassowary

Malaysia's Democratic Spring

Post by cassowary » Thu May 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Dr Mahathir (Dr M) is back as Prime Minister, making him the world's oldest man to get elected as Prime Minister.

Malaysia just had a tumultuous election which saw the shocking defeat of the Barisan National (BN), a party that ruled Malaysia since Independence. The opposition was led by Dr M who is 92 years old.

The downfall of BN and its leader, Najib, was caused by the 1MDB scandal where money from the state sovereign fund ended up in Mr Najib's bank account in Singapore. The money trail led to Switzerland, New York and even Hollywood. Assisting Najib was a Chinese Malaysian Jho Low, a financial wizard. Jho spent his cut on the loot on Hollywood celebrities like Paris Hilton:

While Najib and his friends were having a ball, the cost of living in Malaysia went up. Najib tried to win the recent election by gerrymandering and vote buying with the money taken from 1MDB. It worked before, but not this time.'

He will probably go to jail.

Dr M has said that because of age, he will not stay as PM for long. He is warming the chair for Anwar Ibrahim who is currently in jail on trumped up charges of sodomy. Ironically, Dr M also jailed Anwar when he was PM on the same charge.

Dr M is also corrupt. So Malaysia just replaced one corrupt PM with another. I guess that's life in a Muslim country.

Jim the Moron

Re: Malaysia's Democratic Spring

Post by Jim the Moron » Thu May 10, 2018 10:29 pm

I was hoping that you would comment on this, cass. Malaysia has everything going for it except for an absence of public officials willing to keep their hands out of government coffers.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri May 11, 2018 3:48 am

I don't think things will change much as a result of this election. Corruption will still be there. The people (the Malays) will remain lazy and dishonest. It is not racist to say that because the new PM, Dr M, said the same thing. And they still voted for him. They know he is right. Nothing will change till the culture of the Malays change. Progress will be hampered by sloth and dishonesty.

Growing up in this laboratory of all the world's major religions, I can say for sure that culture and religion matters. Religion shapes the way people behave and this will have economic and political consequences. Sir Stamford Raffles, the other founder of Singapore, made shrewd observations two hundred years ago about the different ethnic groups and religions that are still true today.

He observed that the Malays achieved a higher civilization before Islam came. He also noted that in the areas of Java where Hinduism still held sway property rights were better protected than in the Muslim areas. Property rights is another important key to success.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri May 11, 2018 9:03 am

Hi Cass
I did not know that Najob and his party lost the election. I have been out of touch with the news for days travelling across BC in Canada. Not because of lack of news outlets but because currently I could not care less. Nice to know that Najib got what he deserved. Wait and see what the old curmudgeon brings now.
😊

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri May 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Democracy always springs from elite intermurals.

This is an important event but Malaysia is a long way from democracy, or even a meritocracy.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri May 11, 2018 6:26 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:03 am
Hi Cass
I did not know that Najob and his party lost the election. I have been out of touch with the news for days travelling across BC in Canada. Not because of lack of news outlets but because currently I could not care less. Nice to know that Najib got what he deserved. Wait and see what the old curmudgeon brings now.
😊
Brace yourself. The old curmudgeon does not like Australia or Singapore. Giving a choice of two corrupt autocrats - Najib and Dr M, I prefer Najib.

He was nice to us.

Enjoy your holiday. Post pictures here when you are back.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri May 11, 2018 7:07 pm

Milo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:16 pm
Democracy always springs from elite intermurals.

This is an important event but Malaysia is a long way from democracy, or even a meritocracy.
An Islamic culture is stony ground to plant the seed of democracy. The faith demands a theocracy where Allah and not "we the people" is supreme.

It also breeds sloth.

In a typical village in Malaysia the Malay farmer will wait for his rice to grow. But the Chinese farmers will go to town to get temporary jobs.

Sloth impedes progress. The relative poverty of the Malays in Malaysia is attributed by them as Allah's will which they accept with calm fatalism. They don't think it is anything they did or didn't do.

Fatalism is a key cultural trait produced by Islam. It is soothing world to live in where you are never to blame for your failures. Acceptance of Allah's will brings peace to their hearts but is an impediment to progress.

There is no self examination when things go wrong. Itis Allah's will. But there is one exception this general rule.

The exception is, " It is the fault of the Jews."

But never their own fault.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon May 14, 2018 5:07 pm

cassowary wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:26 pm
neverfail wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:03 am
Hi Cass
😊
Brace yourself. The old curmudgeon does not like Australia or Singapore. Giving a choice of two corrupt autocrats - Najib and Dr M, I prefer Najib.

He was nice to us.

Enjoy your holiday. Post pictures here when you are back.
Thanks Cass.

I think I agree with your preference for Najib ahead of Mahathir for the reason you gave. Luckily, he is now so old he is unlikely to last in power for long.

(Posted from Juneau, Alaska.)

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon May 14, 2018 6:46 pm

Hahaha. Dr M's new cabinet comprises mostly of people he once jailed. And the future PM, Anwar Ibrahim, is still in jail. Let's see how long this coalition will last.